Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
~Stephanie~
Registered Users

My Mood:
? about circumcision. Anyone have both circ'd and uncirc'd boys??

We are expecting our third boy in March and are having a homebirth. After researching to topic of circumcision, I don't want to have this baby circumcised. When we had our other two boys in the hospital, it wasn't even really a question that we would have it done. Honestly I just wasn't educated enough and I didn't "know" anyone with an uncirc'd child so it was a foreign idea to me.

After seeing the bleeding and the pain that the boys went through, I started to think about it more and read about it more. Then I started working in a migrant head start program and almost all of the babies who were there did not have circumcisions. That made me start analyzing exactly why we had the boys go through that.

My concern is that as the boys grow older it will become an issue that this baby does not look like they look. I just wondered if anyone here has both circ'd and uncirc'd boys and if it ever became an issue between them.

I'm not looking for a debate on the issue, just personal experience of anyone who has both circ'd and uncirc'd boys. I want to prepare ahead as much as possible. I don't know if I make an issue about it to explain when the baby is small or just wait to see if they even ask questions and then explain.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Mommy to Cameron (8) Isabel (6) Parker (4) and Wyatt just turned 1! Expecting baby #5 on October 17th, 2008.
~Stephanie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Re: ? about circumcision. Anyone have both circ'd and uncirc'd boys??

I DO NOT WANT to debate, but I cir'd both my boys and I don't regret it at all, my oldest actually slept through his and my youngest just was mad when they strapped him down-he still hates to be confined in anyway 12yrs later. Some of our fosterbabies are cir'd and some are not-it is the birthmom's choice-so my boys have seen babies w/ and w/out a circ. My oldest asked about it several yrs ago and when I explained it to him and told him that it is a decision that parents must make when the babies are born, he THANKED me for making him like the other boys in the locker room. He then leaned over and told the baby that he was sorry his mama didn't do it for him. This is simply a teen's viewpoint on it, not a request for flaming or debate. I did what I thought was best when my children were born, that is what being a parent is all about, doing what you feel is best with all the information that you have at that time.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
~Stephanie~
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Mommy to Cameron (8) Isabel (6) Parker (4) and Wyatt just turned 1! Expecting baby #5 on October 17th, 2008.
~Stephanie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't personally, but from other's I've heard from, they said they will just tell their boys the truth. That the first are cut because they didn't really know there was an option. Once you started researching, you realized it was not something you wanted to do, so the last child was left intact.

I wouldn't worry too much. Kids aren't that concerned about things in general. They may notice a difference, ask about it, but move right on. I can't imagine it would be something they'd dwell on.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

My nephews are one circed and one not, brothers. Never was an issue. Mom (my sil) explained that if she'd known then what she knew when #2 was born she wouldn't have done it. Can't go back...
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Tangy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My older two are, they are 8 and ten.

My baby is not. I am just honest with the older two about it.
Tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Well obviously I only have one son (so far) and he is intact, but my brother who is only 5 years older than DS is circ'd. It really wasn't an issue between them... at least not for my brother (he asked once, and that was it), DS was too small to notice when they used to take baths together.

Of course it's hard to say if there WOULD be an issue when they're older... but I really think that kids are more accepting of differences than we give them credit for. With circ rates dropping everwhere as more insurance companies won't pay for circ's, it's going to become more normal for boys to be intact... and lets face it, kids are going to get teased no matter what. Whether it's for having or not having foreskin, that's really only one thing among many.

Like Tangy said, I think being honest with the kids when they ask questions is really important... they will accept it as being as normal as you make it. I think if you try to dodge an explination, that would potentially create a lot of issues.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

I circ'ed my first 2 boys ( now ages 6 and 8) and when my DD ( now 4) was born in hospital, and in NICU, I watched a doc do a circ on a new born baby boy :*(

I personally would NEVER allow my baby to undergo something that horrific ever again. Especially since there are no reasons ( other than cosmetically) to do it. AND most docs now a days will even tell you that.

Good luck with your choice, I personally say to each their own, but I know for me, I noticed a change in my babies once they were brought back to me...they were clearly upset & bothered even though they were not technically *crying* when I got them back.

My last one was born in the water and has never left my arms
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dh is and my bil isn't It was never an issue. As dh said "we didn't compare"
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would do what you feel is best and explain honestly when they can understand.

We cir'd...I didn't want to but DH won that battle.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote