Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
melliepie
Registered Users

pumping for night feeding

Hi ladies I EP but a friend of mine has a 1month old whom she breastfeeds and she is just starting to pump so her partner can take a night feeding. I'm looking for some advice for her. How and when do you do it? Any oversupply issues or is that rare. Thanks

Advertisement

melliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
azmokitty
Banned

My Mood:
Re: pumping for night feeding

well, she really could be putting her supply in jeopardy to have her partner take over a night feeding. her body will realize that it doesn't need to make that milk at night, so it won't. it's too soon in the game to be doing that on a regular basis.

she can pump, but how often is she pumping? about 4-6 weeks is generally an ok time to pump if you need to have a freezer stash. but too much can signal the breasts to pump more than you need....

so it's a tricky subject!
azmokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she pumps for a night feeding and does this every night her body will adjust and eventually know it doesn't need that night feeding but the day supply should be just fine. As long as she doesn't pump and then decide she wants to nurse at night there should be no over production once her body adjusts. I did this with DS2 and it took weeks of waking up with rocks on my chests for my body to adjust but eventually my body stopped the extra night production and my day supply was great. I am trying to do that again but my boobs are still producing the night feeding and I have engorgement issues in the am. I hope in a couple of weeks or less I can totally be comfortable in the am again.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure it depends on the person, but for some people it would be bad for their supply to skip night feeding so young. Unless she is pumping in the middle of the night, in which case what's the point? I wouldn't go longer than about 5 hours at that age without expressing milk in some way. So I guess my suggestion would be to take the last 5 hours of the night, say 2-7am or whatever, and make that my 5 hour stretch to sleep. If baby wakes during that time, parner feeds a bottle. At 7 am she will be quite full, so she can nurse on one side and pump on the other, and keep the pumped milk for the following night.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should clarify after I read my post. Pumping for one feeding during the night is what I meant not all night long because that wouldn't be good. That is what I am trying to accomplish again so DH can wake up for one feeding and let me sleep more. I will of course just skip one feeding but sleeping through that will be great
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
melliepie
Registered Users

Thank you Ladies, I will pass this on to her
melliepie is offline   Reply With Quote