Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
How much is too much & How long before not eating??

Ugghhh....I think I'm just having a breakdown.
Between all these ear infections and colds I am going batty!!!!!!!!

I did finally get an appointment Monday with a new pediatrician to see his ears and hopefully get a referral.

Anyway, the stomach bug is now going through our home.

David our 2 1/2 year old had it Starting Saturday night...threw up every 15 minutes and wouldn't really respond to us...ended up in the ER and they gave him something to stop his throwing up.

Myself, our 9.5 month old and my DH all got in on Monday!

First is was the baby...same thing...went to ER because he wasn't even wanting to nurse....I got it while we there and my DH got it back at home watching our 2.5 year old!

Crazy days...

Anyway, both DH and I are better but the kiddos seem to be taking longer.

My 2.5 year old will drink some but he has *maybe* eaten 1 slice of toast 1 cup of applesauce, few bites of cereal and a few bites of organic mac n cheese Since Sunday! When should I start being concerned about this??

And my 9.5 year old has diarrhea today every 15-20 minutes. He IS nursing and taking pedialyte but won't eat.
When should I be concerned about that? Like how much is too much before I should call his pediatrician??

Oh and note to self...don't give GRAPE pedialyte in a foggy state of mind. It turned his lips purple for a bit and I started freaking out until I realized...oh duh...the pedialyte!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much is too much & How long before not eating??

Big hugs to you. I know how hard it is when it seems like someone is always sick with something.
I wouldn't be too concerned about a stomach virus unless they are showing signs of dehydration, infrequent urination, being lethargic, no tears when they cry. Here is a link: http://children.webmd.com/dehydration-children
As long as the 9 1/2 month old is nursing don't worry about regular food. He'll start eating again when he's feeling up to it. Kids tend to take longer to get over stomach viruses than adults in my experience. I would also suggest sticking with the BRATS diet with your older child until he's feeling well again. The BRATS diet is bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and soup (but no cream soups). We also only give our kids water to drink, no juice, or milk.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much is too much & How long before not eating??

Thank you

I put a call into the pediatrician just to see too and they told me to come right in, so I'm on the way Now I'm kind of worried...

But since he is happy and nursing and not lethargic I'm confused. I do think he is a bit dehydrated though despite the nursing and pedialyte. So maybe they can help?
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote