Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

my non verbal daughter..

Ok..so none of my kids talked early, some were later than others...my youngest, lachlan, is 18 months on Friday. She says these words..Anya(which sounds like eye-a) Noah(which sounds like Woah) dad and mom very clearly, and that is it! On the other hand, she can hold a pencil the correct way and draw and has been doing so forever, can eat really well and neatly with a fork or spoon, can jump off two feet, climb the stairs and come back down expertly, can unscrew a cap from a bottle, open a cd case and take out the cd..lol..you get the idea, she is very physically able..too much so! Anyone else have one that seems to be all physical skills and no talk?? I am not worried as my 4 yo did not talk much at this age and is fine now..he was slow to start but never shuts up now..lol..just curious...

Advertisement

milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

Re: my non verbal daughter..

no one else has a non verbal kid...it is just my little one? Uh oh..feeling lonely!
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not my child, but my little brother didn't talk until after two years old. He's just fine now!

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Meee! I don't know if my DS really counts though - he's non-verbal because he has a brain malformation. But yeah, he doesn't say any words. He tries to say things sometimes, but its like baby cave man speech, mostly vowels. I know there are some other mamas here with non-verbal kids, where are they???
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Ian,our oldest was the exact same way,but I think he was actually completely non verbal at that age. We got him into early intervention and they taught him signs so he could at least communicate.
His dad(my H)went to basic training when Ian was 21 months. One day out of the blue while I was taking a bath Ian walked in and clear as day said"where's my Dad?",it's been all downhill from there. We can't shut him up to save our lives
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry, she is simply concentrating on other skills, she will be talking nonstop soon enough. Some kids move quickly through some skills, and slowly through others, since she is handling gross and fine motor skills so well, just give her time to become more verbal. Also, many kids that have older siblings find that talking isn't necessary cuz the older kids "talk" for her so she doesn't have to. Perfectly normal, don't worry! I bet by summer you will be posting that she is talking so much that she is giving you a headache!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
newmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS will be 17 months this week. He has no words at this point. He can do tons of things though. He eats with a spoon, climbs stairs, turns on the TV and DVD player and opens the DVD player, "read" books to himself, follows directions such as "it's time to eat" or "let's go upstairs" or "pick out a book for Mommy to read", runs to the door as soon as his shoes are on, opens CD and DVD cases, responds to his name, and more. I think he is doing just fine. That said, I do hope he has some words before his 18 month appt so the dr. doesn't give us a hard time.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

My 2nd boy was like that. By the age of 2 we started worrying and got him evaluated. He was put into speech therapy. that helped him so much. Now he is 6 and has no problems talking at all. Now he talks a little too much.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was very verbal (full 4 & 5 word sentences by 13 months) so when DS came along and wasn't saying much other than mama at 14 months we started to kind of wonder. (He did have brain surgery at 5 weeks old so we weren't surprised that he may have some speech delay.) Like your DD, he's incredibly bright and can sign and understand what we're saying...just not much talking.

To encourage you though mama, about 2.5 weeks ago he had a verbal explosion! He just started saying all kinds of words and trying to say anything we say. I think kiddos just work on different areas at different rates.

I do have a cousin whose little guy didn't talk much by 3 years old and they started speech therapy with him and he just took off verbally. So there are some situations that require a little extra help but don't worry, mama!
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
kkbtoys
Registered Users
seller

My son was a late talker. I had him evaluated at 2 - hearing was fine, comprehension was high. Speech therapy was recommended, but because his comprehension was so high, I didn't want to make that big of a focus out of his "delay". He started talking around 3 months shy of 3 yrs and read his first full Dr. Seuss book (10 Apples Up on Top) 6 months later! That really made me realize how much I could rely on my own intuition.
kkbtoys is offline   Reply With Quote