Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: GAD question... this seems odd...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
i guess im an oddball. it doesn't bother me. Id rather her spend more time making other pockets and w/ her family then serging a part of the diaper that no one but me will see. I have a fleece diaper that is about 6 months old from someone else done the same way and the opening looks like the day i bought it
nope, you're not an oddball. i can't wait to order more GADs!

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #22
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

well I just emailed middle earth diaper to find out if I can have her serge the 2 customs I orderd through them, hopefully she will be able to do it.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #23
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just an FYI - not saying it will be the same for you - but when I got my first 'unserged' one I asked Shannon directly at GAD if she could serge mine (current or future) and she said I should try it out this way for a while, as this is how she's doing it now. So, basicallly she said no, get used to it! Not in a mean way, it's just a decision she's made about her diapers. I am a huge GAD fan and I liked the former opening - it was one of the things I really liked about how these dipes looked. I've gotten used to the new way but still prefer the old for looks (though, again, function not an issue here).

But, I stand by my previous statement, that if a lot of people don't like it and say something (in a nice way!) perhaps she'll reconsider. I think what went wrong here is that she didn't announce the change, or notify current buyers in any way. So those of us who already had GADs and ordered some and got the new unserged version thought we were getting shoddy diapers. Once you have thought that, it's hard to go back. I really think she should have said something (or maybe she did and I missed it?) and also change the pic on her site to show the newer version.

Anyways, you can still get a serged opening in the velours - the pumpkin velour is really nice for an inner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
well I just emailed middle earth diaper to find out if I can have her serge the 2 customs I orderd through them, hopefully she will be able to do it.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #24
greenacredesigns
Registered Users

Hi Ladies!! I'm not meaning to Lurk, but someone told me I should read this thread

Can we maybe make a poll about the opening??

Here is the thing, it takes time to sew the opening and I just found it to be redundant since it isn't needed and you are the only one who sees it.
I made the decision by this

Pros to a serged opening

1.It looks nice.
2. More professional
3. Looks finished

Cons

1. It takes more time (less time to sew more diapers and play with my kids)
2. It (the serging) can come unraveled
3. Sometimes it makes it harder to stuff and unstuff the pocket.
4. The fabric will not fray without the serging.
5. my new seamstress (another WAHM) would need to fix a machine to get the opening serged, and I would rather have more diapers on my site than to wait on a machine to be fixed.

I noticed someone had a jaged opening and they should not be this way. I use a rotary cutter and a ruler to cut the opening to make sure it's straight and the right size. If it is jagged and it bothers you, you can trim off a little to make it prettier. But it's not going to change the function of the diaper at all.

so... This is how I made the choice.

But If some of you Ladies are really unhappy with the way they are now.
I can think about changing it back. I really don't care on my personal diapers if the opening is serged or not, in fact last year I made a WP diaper for Andrew with a cute Christmas tree applique and I forgot to serge the opening and it took me a couple weeks notice it, lol.

However, DH likes the way the opening looks when serged, but he also likes to see my time going into something that is more worthwhile.

And speaking of time.... I should be sewing right now, lol. Thanks for reading!
greenacredesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #25
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

thank you so much for posting this! I can understand why you changed it from that prespective, but I am wondering if the serged pocket can be added by request on your customs, like as an extra option?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #26
greenacredesigns
Registered Users

Quote:
thank you so much for posting this! I can understand why you changed it from that prespective, but I am wondering if the serged pocket can be added by request on your customs, like as an extra option?
This is a good idea, but I guess what I'm afraid of is that I would forget, lol. I'm very forgetfull. But I suppose I could have a seperate stack for the serged opening diapers.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #27
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
good idea....but it might not work cuz the machine has to be fixed?? I personally undertsand why you would save time and money but I have a weird concept of diapers looking perfect...like it bugs me that the inside of Berry plushs have all turned to white when I really really liek and prefer the inside to match the outside..I just think it looks better and it irks me that its not...Im weird like that??? Im sure they did the inside white too for all cuz it just saves time but I notice it everytiome I change my son....but I can understnad both sides....Im no help here but I do like the options thing??
Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #28
greenacredesigns
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
good idea....but it might not work cuz the machine has to be fixed?? I personally undertsand why you would save time and money but I have a weird concept of diapers looking perfect...like it bugs me that the inside of Berry plushs have all turned to white when I really really liek and prefer the inside to match the outside..I just think it looks better and it irks me that its not...Im weird like that??? Im sure they did the inside white too for all cuz it just saves time but I notice it everytiome I change my son....but I can understnad both sides....Im no help here but I do like the options thing??
Well, the machine that has to be fixed is my seamstresses machine, mine still works fine for that. She has all industrial stuff so where my serger does lots of different things, hers will only do 1 but she has a bunch of different machines, all that do 1 stitch, but can do it very fast with a good quality stitch, lol. The 1 that she has that can do a rolled hem overlock stitch is broken right now, lol.

I totally get where your coming from, I'm just so on the fence about it right now, lol.

You ladies are so nice to help me with this!

So far I think I like to option on the customs thing. I will add that before the next stocking.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #29
huggerwocky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'd rather have it look finished though. I can make my own pockets that look like that KWIM? All serged edges will fray eventually and I think most people who buy serged diapers know that, but when you pay $16 for a diaper, plush $8 for embroider, plush shipping, I think most people are expecting it to look professsional, but maybe that's just me...
it's me, too
huggerwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #30
soggygranolamomma
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I think what people miss is that there is a very fine line in this particular business, between making any money and making no money, or even losing money.

There is so little markup on diapers that if you are going to make a living making them, you sometimes have to pick and chose your battles.

Do your customers want more availability? Or do they want more fine details? Because one or the other is going to have to give. Of course customers want BOTH but sometimes they don't realize it's just not so simple.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I agree the solution is to make it a custom option.

In the case of Berry Plush, they were finding the various minkee fabrics were harder and harder to come by and essentially, they were "wasting" fabric that could be used to make outers on a part of the dipe that gets shat on. Again, do you want more availability of your colors options, or do you want coordinating inners? It's not as if white clashes with the outer colors, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Is not a matter of "cutting corners" or making more money, it's about giving your customers what they want MOST. In Shannon's case, they likely MOST don't want to wait long to get their diapers, not ALL of them may feel that way but MOST of them must or else Shannon likely wouldn't have made that choice.

Same goes for Berry Plush. Companies like this don't go making half-cocked decisions to change their top selling products. Likely there was a lot of complaining that the fabrics/colors they wanted weren't available and the choice was made. Not to mention the turnaround time on production of the soakers when the fabrics and threads needed to be changed out on the machines.

There is more to this than most people realize.
soggygranolamomma is offline   Reply With Quote