Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What exactly does vitex do?

And has anybody had success with it? Does it make you ovulate earlier? When do you take it?

Why am I reading all of these kind of things about it such as see below:
Vitex is not recommended during pregnancy. It shouldn't be used by nursing women unless under the guidance of a qualified health professional.

People with hormone dependent conditions such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and cancers of the breast, ovaries, uterus or prostate shouldn't take vitex.

Small amounts of vitex could increase the production of breast milk in post-partum women. High doses may have the opposite effect and decrease the production of breast milk.

Vitex may affect levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine. People with Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, or any other condition in which dopamine levels are affected should avoid vitex unless under the supervision of a qualified health professional.

Advertisement

Last edited by jeebee; 04-25-2009 at 06:34 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What exactly does vitex do?

I'm off to get some tomorrow from our local health food shop...
Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Petal Power Bowtique
Registered Users
Formerly: PeasandCarrotsBaby
seller

My Mood:

I took it when I was TTC #2, and still nursing ds. I didn't see a huge difference in when I o'd, to be honest, or in lp length. However, I did conceive twice within six months while I was taking, and I was nursing a toddler several times during the day AND at night. The first one ended in m/c at 7 weeks, the second became my beautiful DS.

This round I am going with soy isoflavones instead of vitex (you shouldn't take them together). Soy isoflavones work immediately, whereas vitex takes several months to build in your system. They basically work exactly like clomid, just not as extreme. You take it on cd's 3-7 or 5-9, just like clomid. You can do anywhere between 50-200 mg. I did 155mg/day this cycle. It tricks your body into thinking your estrogen levels are too low, and makes your pituitary gland produce more FSH. I am yet to see what my LP will be like this month, but I did o on cd 20 as opposed to 23 last month. NOt a HUGE difference, but definitely an improvement. ANd by the way, I am nursing a 17 month old.

-Suzanne

Need Long Sleeve Lap Tees? Petal Power Bowtique's Got 'Em! Adorable Appliques! Blanks Available Too!
Petal Power Bowtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Another great thread, Jen. I'm interested too. It bothers me that so many of the things we take to help conceive shouldn't be used while pregnant or nursing.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

I take it in my Fertili Tea and in my multi vitamin for reproductive health, buts its small doses.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting thread on Soy Isoflavones:

http://www.soulcysters.net/those-us-using-soy-150291/
Old 04-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And for you dorky scientists like me, some hard literature on Soy Isoflavones:

Data showing reduction in Free estradiol and Estrone, also lengthening of cycles:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...tool=pmcentrez
Old 04-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootyGold View Post
And for you dorky scientists like me, some hard literature on Soy Isoflavones:

Data showing reduction in Free estradiol and Estrone, also lengthening of cycles:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...tool=pmcentrez
Hehe... i guess you realised I am a dorky scientist too then...
Old 04-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Hehe... i guess you realised I am a dorky scientist too then...
for molecular biologists!! I have a MS in micro and spent many years as a research scientist And, of course I'm married to a PhD so no matter what I do, I can't escape

Dorky Scientists Unite!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol- why is it that scientists always seem to marry scientists? I hated my PhD, then did a 2 year post-doc and hated that too... realised that i just didn't like benchwork... but now I do enjoy what I am doing, which is consulting to a consumer genomics co. It's fun! I like working from home in my own time, and the work is interesting, and it does not fail like 90% of lab experiments. DH is 4 years into post-doc now at UCSF. Who knows what he will do next, he also worked for many years at a biotech co before grad school, so he's a late bloomer! How about your DH, what does he do?