Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What exactly does vitex do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Lol- why is it that scientists always seem to marry scientists? I hated my PhD, then did a 2 year post-doc and hated that too... realised that i just didn't like benchwork... but now I do enjoy what I am doing, which is consulting to a consumer genomics co. It's fun! I like working from home in my own time, and the work is interesting, and it does not fail like 90% of lab experiments. DH is 4 years into post-doc now at UCSF. Who knows what he will do next, he also worked for many years at a biotech co before grad school, so he's a late bloomer! How about your DH, what does he do?
That is EXACTLY why I don't miss bench science. The constant failure was too much for an emotional gal like me I def miss my co-workers though..nothing like working in academia

DH just took a tenure track position at University of North Texas. He did a post doc at ORNL for a few years, and I was soooo glad to see him get out of it. He's much happier now that he's got minions

ANYHOO, Giant thread hijack, sorry

DH disagrees that I should take any supplements at all. He thinks that the Rx progesterone that I'm taking is OK cause a DOCTOR told me to take it. But soy or vitex, etc...he thinks I'm going overboard. But 2 miscarriages under seemingly strange circumstances, and then 6 months to conceive our first...

I would just rather fix the problem than sit around waiting long enough to convince my doctor that I have a problem, ya know?? Am I over reacting??

Advertisement

Last edited by BootyGold; 04-25-2009 at 08:57 PM.
BootyGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No fine.. nobody has really answered my question anyway about the vitex, so hijack away!

I don't think 6 mos is that long to conceive your first. I mean, it sucks but it's not ridiculous. I however can say that because it happened to me the first month we slipped up. But yeah, now it does make me worry that something is wrong, but the only thing that is different now is that I am BF, ya know? But yeah, I think if i go to the doc i will just get the same story, that it's just a matter of waiting, because it takes time for everything to get back to normal. I do agree, but it doesn't make the waiting any more fun. I feel better now knowing that my first few cycles were total busts anyway, and I probably have only physically been able to conceive this last cycle due to the lpd, but still it really hurts. Some days, like today, I am just so resigned to it, however. I feel like we have been trying forever (well it's only been 6 months really (4 short cycles = 3 normal cycles!!), and some of those we didn't try very hard at all :-)) I just thought it would just happen like the first, with no need to try. I do feel better about taking it into my own hands, like you, because sometimes doctors don't agree with alternative health stuff anyway and it's hard to convince them. I am kind of willing to try anything as long as it's not too dangerous, because i know that just getting an appointment takes a few weeks, and then they have to run tests which take more weeks, and frankly I just want to get pregnant NOW!!

re: benchwork. Yeah I just didn't deal with failure very well. Can you tell? Not only that, but the suckful salaries, the hours, the complete misery. It just affected me in a bad way and I was unhappy all the time. I felt like a huge load had been lifted once I left the lab.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
HippieMama74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got preggo with the twins while taking Vitex. I was nursing my 1yo ds and AF had not returned regularly, it was arriving every other month so I started the Vitex in hopes it would regulate my cycles somewhat. Within less than a month of taking it I was preggo with the twins. I have no clue if it had anything to do with the pregnancy or if it was just a coincidence since I was taking for such a short period of time before I got preggo.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:

I took vitex to jumpstart AF returning. I was hoping that AF would return as soon as I got off of bcp, but after a couple of months, I started taking vitex. I got my first ppaf about 5-6 weeks later. I don't know that it has had a huge affect on my lp as even with taking it, it is still super short. I stopped taking after I O'ed last cycle because I was starting up the clomid and you aren't supposed to take both of them together. If I don't get preg this cycle and have to take a couple of months off, I don't know if I will start it again during that time or not. I will probably talk to my doc about it and see what she says about it.

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I went out to walgreens and got the soy! I already took it today!! It was on special for $2.39- I think that was a sign. I am going to see if it makes any difference to my O this month, although I am not trying too hard this month since it might be better not to have two birthdays in the same month. Despite me saying for the last 4 months that if i don't get pregnant i will wean the next month, i just don't have the heart to do it. DD keeps asking me for 'Mil' so how can i refuse that? Hehe. I think the soy is now my last resort, so it better work!
Old 04-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does anybody know if I can take the soy on d3-7 and then take the vitex after I O?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
mbreen616
Registered Users

My Mood:

I take b-6 complex after I o and find that it helps with luteal phase defects... Good Luck!!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I took Vitex prior to conceiving my daughter. Oh, that and Royal Jelly. Took both supplements for several cycles before conceiving and during the cycle that I conceived.

I ended up taking the Vitex in liquid form, because I had read (and been told by my acupuncturist) that your body utilizes it more efficiently.

I can't remember the amounts that I took, because I stored that information in my fertility charting software and my PC crashed last March and I lost a lot of that information (my computer-geek DP said she'll get the info for me, but hasn't yet).

That being said - it did make me ovulate a little bit sooner (around CD 11-13 vs. 15-16) and I had very obvious ovulation pains while taking it too... and it made my charts very easy to read.

I conceived DD during the 5th TTC cycle (using anonymous frozen donor sperm) - I am pretty sure that the timing was off during the first two cycles.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've tried Vitex--but I didn't notice positive effects,in fact I became annovulatory for a 3 month stretch that ended w/ a bad case of mastitis! I was not bf or had recently weaned a child when I got it out of the blue.
It was crazy!

Now I just did 4~55mg capsules Soy on cd#3-7 and today had my opks go bfp on cd#13! Unheard of for me!

I usually get bfp opks on cd#18-19,w/ my latest being on cd#26-27!! My earliest cd for + opks was previosly cd#17.Last month my opks went bfp on cd#26! That was 1 LONG wait.

I'm a believer now and if I dont get a bfp this cycle,will definitly be doing Soy again.Nature's Clomid rocks!
I take my Soy at bedtime on cd3-7.It lessens Soy headaches a bit.

Last edited by McMamma38; 04-26-2009 at 06:14 PM.
McMamma38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Does anybody know if I can take the soy on d3-7 and then take the vitex after I O?
Just dont take both at the same time.