Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #431
lorikep
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did Anybody get Sleep?? BSRB Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla79 View Post
Di -- do you have any outlet stores nearby? I know we have a carters outlet up north a little ways, i wonder if they might carry something out of print like that.

As for opinionated mothers, i think it's because (no offense to the SAHMs), if being a SAHM is your sole job, and you're that much more defensive about the choices you've made. You've got more time to dwell and obsess about stuff, and get in people's faces about it because it's your job... kind of like how i take security very seriously because it's my job. I think i've said it before but there seems to be this bizarro assumption that you just flipped a coin to make a choice... now, some people do that (or just do what the ped says, or what their friend told them to do), but most of us are here because we don't follow the conventional wisdom, we make informed decision for us and ours, and seriously, it's a little insulting to have people sit there and treat you like a moron when really, you've made the best choice you could make. I may not like your choices, but you made an informed decision, and i'm happier knowing you did think it through, whatever the outcome is. It's when people just do something because someone told them to, or because "I turned out just fine" that i get really PO'd and start getting in people's faces.
Megan, I'm not sure this is totally true. I'm sure it is in some cases. I work part time from home, so I'm not a completely SAHM, but it is my primary responsibility. Yet I don't think that way. I know WOHM moms who are just as opinionated. I think it is more of a personality thing and perhaps a flat out pride issue. But it could also be driven by fear. I mean, some people are afraid of making mistakes, so they try really hard to convince themselves that they have made the "only" choice so they don't have to feel bad later if something goes wrong... I don't know, just a thought. I think a lot of actions are actually driven by a strange combination of pride and fear together. The ultimately better route (not that I do it - not claiming that...) would be to be humble about it and from the beginning say it was just the best decision I could make at the time with the information in hand and keep your ears open for input all the time.

Advertisement