Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

School district decisions

Ok, I need to decide by the first of the year which school district I want Mason to go to. Any suggestions on making this decision? I've looked at test scores online and they are comparable. One district has 1000 more kids enrolled than the other which plays a big part of my decision. Any tips from teachers?

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: School district decisions

I'm not a teacher, but you can look at growth rates in the areas where the districts are. Schools that are in fast growing districts will end up w/big classes before the budgets and stuff catch up with the #'s.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

I would ask about class size. it is so much nicer to have a school with classes that only have like 15-18 kids as opposed to like 23 or more...one year at our elementary school,dd had only 12 kids in her clas..it was wonderful! never happened again.lol...but we average about 18-20 and i know some schools have lots more..
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

You said the test scores were comparable. Have you checked about what facilities are like and what extracurriculars are offered?

Just brainstorming for a tie breaker.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Frankly, if the scores are comparable then it doesn't matter much. I second the class size issue but the biggest effect on a childs success is the parental involement throughout their childs school carreer! Your concern shows care and consideration so I am sure your child would thrive at any facility given you are supportive and involved!

GL HTH

Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

Class sizes are also comparable. I'll look into the extracurricular stuff.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

Can you find out if the school district is innovative in any way? Schools that are too tied to doing things the same old way are not going to be the best ones to prepare you dc for the future. I say this as a teacher, and as a parent. H is only two but... I would not want him to be at a school with good grades, reasonable class sizes... etc... that was not addressing the rapidly changing world we live in.

Our school district has made the decision to integrate mac ibooks and computer technology into each school each student from grade 5 + has a laptop as does each staff member. We are learning soooooo many new ways of teaching that are much better at meeting the needs of our students. It's encouraged me to change how I teach a LOT! I've taught for 8 yrs now and I'm still learning everyday. It's really exhausting to re-learn how to teach somethings etc... but worth it.

If not technology support... what other innovative teaching methods are being used?

If all else fails, go where you feel comfortable. Go into a school in the middle of the day. See if you can meet the principal and tour the school. What are the kids doing? Are they mainly working on paperwork or ???
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote