Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone grind their own flour at home?

I'm trying to gradually increase the amount of whole wheat flour in my cooking and baking b/c DH is stubbornly a fan of white flour.

Then I came across a site that talks about grinding your own flour and how its much more nutritious and tastes better! So I'm wondering if I should just cut to the chase and buy a mill (problem is it's expensive) -- my thoughts being that DH might like the fresh flour better than store bought whole wheat flour.

Please share if you have experience w/ this!

TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by Deanie; 03-05-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Deanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
3muffinmom
Registered Users

Re: Anyone grind their own flour at home?

I do I have an attachment for my Bosch that grinds the wheat. It takes much longer than the mills, but works great.
We use white wheat--it's not so shocking and nutty tasting for those who love processed flour, lol. It's easy to "hide" whole wheat in any recipe that uses fruit, cocoa, and/or brown sugar.
A site that I love that gives lots of tips on using whole wheat is http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/handouts/wheat.pdf
3muffinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do I mostly use hard white wheat, but sometimes add in a little hard red. It does taste much different than store bought. My kids won't eat store bought wheat bread or even bread made with store bought wheat flour. They LOVE the whole wheat I make at home from fresh ground flour. Try searching for a used mill, or some mixers have attachments for wheat grinding. I use my vitamix blender to grind it. I've been doing it for several years, but haven't made the leap to buying a mill yet.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have a dinky hand mixer that smells like it's burning when I use it to make cookie dough!

I do have a food processor though -- Now to find some grain!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I do! I just posted on my blog about it: http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot...esh-flour.html
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
KristieMcNealy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do too. I got a Wonder Mill for Christmas. By buying wheat in bulk from a local organic farmer, I think I'll save enough to justify the purchase of the mill within the year. Store bought organic WW flour is just so expensive, at least around here. We use a lot of wheat though - 15-20 pounds a month.

Blogging about women's and children's health at http://www.kristiemcnealy.com
KristieMcNealy is offline   Reply With Quote