View Poll Results: I had hyperemesis
Every pregnancy 7 58.33%
For only one pregnancy 5 41.67%
Other- Please explain 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
amy329
Registered Users
seller

Mamas who have/has had hyperemesis

DH is all on board to TTC whenever I am ready. I would love to have my children close in age and would TTC right now...but theire is only one thing stopping me.......

I had horrible hyperemesis when I was pregnant with my DS. I lost 20lbs in one month,had to get a PICC line put in and had to do daily 5 hour iv treatments for the first 5 months of my pregnancy.

I would have to say having hyperemesis is much worse than labor. When I was pregnant with DS, pretty much the first 5 months all I did was sleep,work and puke. I became very depressed and throwing up was taking over my life. I honestly have no clue how I even made it through those 5 months working full time while being so sick.

So right now I have such a fear of getting pregnant because I fear that I will be so sick again. My doctor old me that a high percentage of women that have HG while pregnant will usually have them with the rest of their pregnancies in the future.

I just don't know how I could deal with being so sick, pregnant, dealing with daily iv's AND taking care of my son all at the same time.

Just wanted to know what your experiences were like when you had HG and if you were sick with every pregnancy.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by amy329; 04-29-2009 at 08:13 AM.
amy329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas who have/has had hyperemesis

I had a mild case of it when I was pregnant with my triplets. I thought I would have it every pregnancy too but I didn't. Though I must admit that I did notice a HUGE differance with my morning sickness with my girl pregnancies (triplet and miscarried baby) and that of my son. My son I barely had morning sickness... much to my surprise.

I am sorry you had to go through all of that! I am praying that you are doing much better next time.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
hlstevens
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I posted this very question when I first joined DS, brought back a little memory...

I was very sick with my first son, the whole pregnancy I was puking. And after he was born, we were dead set on not having any more b/c I didnt want to go through that again. Well, here I am 2.5 years later pregnant w/ #2! I decided I'd take that chance, and we began TTC. I will say that I think I am one of the lucky ones who did NOT go through it the second time around, I was scared every day-I thought that 'today is the day it will hit' and it didnt! I did have m/s, but it wasnt all day puking, feel like I'm going to die (slight exageration). I honestly cant believe that I am 24 weeks and I actually feel good. And I'm pregnant w/ the same sex baby, so I know that it truly doesnt matter what you are having!

I know that I am lucky, I know there are moms who go through it everytime. But I'm glad I took that chance. If you have friends/family near by to help out with your older c hild, and you know now that there is a happy ending when the baby comes! Either way, I wish you luck! I know how hard of a decision it is.
I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!!

Last edited by hlstevens; 04-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.
hlstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
amy329
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much for your responses! It shows that I have some chance of not getting sick again.

You are right hlstevens, its definitely all worth it in the end no matter how sick you are.

I think I am going to tell DH that I want to start TTC in December. If I do end up getting that sick again, I will just make DH go to part time at work or maybe even be a SAHD. The reason why it couldn't be the other way around is because I make more than him. We could be okay with just one income if I cut back on a few extra luxuries like my daily starbucks and my extreme fluffy spending habit.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
hammyswifey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've only been pregnant the one time (so far) so I put the 1x button. I had severe hyperemesis. I found out I was pregnant at 5 wks exactly and then my hyperemesis kicked in at 6 weeks exactly and left at 38 weeks exactly (the day I had my emergency c/s). Between 6 and 11 weeks I lost 12 lbs. At my 15 week appointment I was still down 12 lbs. The doctor said if I had lost even 1 more lb I would of been hospitalized. I was put on a Ensure diet and had to drink at least 1 ensure with every meal (4-5). By 23 weeks I was back up to my pre-pg weight and I gained 17 lbs before having DS. My medical records say I gained 29 lbs, but I know that 12 of those were already mine, so I don't count them as gain and as much as they were just misplaced those early weeks of pregnancy. LOL.
My mom had severe hyperemesis with me (she WAS hospitalized) and then with my brother and sister (2 seperate prgnancies) she threw up 1 x the whole pregnancy. So, I'm crossing my fingers that it works out this way for me.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have only been pregnant once, but I had mild hyperemesis from 4 weeks until the day he was born, two days past his due date. I did not ever have to be hospitalized, but I did get IV fluids twice and I was miserable the entire time. And even though I was small to begin with, I only gained 16 lbs the entire time. I was lucky because Zofran did work for me. It didn't keep me feeling great, but it cut down on how much I actually threw up. I just threw up in between doses, where without it I would have been puking constantly. I was hesitant to ttc again because of how hard pregnancy was on me the first time, but my desire to have another one won out and here we are on month 9 of ttc. I, honestly, am terrified of being sick again for 9 months. It seems that most people seem slightly less sick with their second pregnancy, so I am crossing my fingers that that is the case for me too. Good luck to you!

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I had it with each pregnancy (2 of them) and the whole entire pregnancy. I would eat, get sick, eat, get sick, drink, get sick. I would dry heave when I didn't eat.

I took pills many different ones, got an IV in my leg and they changed my meds several times. I got a compounded med to rub on my arms. I tried herbal meds, ginger, all kinds of home remedies. Nothing worked. I just prayed and cried a lot. The dr said that if I lost any more weight that they would hospitalize me.

I learned to carry a bag in my pocket and I threw up in the car, at the movies, everywhere that I went. My friends and family learned to just look the other way b/c there was and is nothing that I can do about it. My co-workers weren't thrilled about seeing it, but there where times that I had to get sick in the trash can b/c there wasn't a way that I was going to make it to the bathroom. Eventually they forgot about it after DD was born.

I worked full time as well. I would just spend like half of my work day in the bathroom. On my review they mentioned it. I am lucky that I didn't get fired b/c my work is based on a quota and sure as he*l didn't make my quota that year.

I can understand how you feel. I even told my DH after the last baby that I didn't want any more due to my extreme hyperemesis, that I wanted to adopt or foster. He helped me remember that when that pregnancy time is done I won't have to go through it again and that God helps us forget our pain.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by L&A'smommy; 04-29-2009 at 09:37 AM.
L&A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I have had HG in all but my first pregnancy. We are now expecting number 6. My third pregnancy was the worst. I lost 30 pounds. My HG does go away though usually around the 20th week. It is miserable. Zofran does help me from vomiting all day, but I still cant function much. I am 10.5 weeks pregnant now and pretty sick. I have lost 14 pounds since week 6. I think if I was an HG sufferer that had it for the full pregnancy I would have only had 2 children because it is very hard.

Good luck.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Lovey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had severe HG with both pregnancies.

With DD1, I began vomiting at 6 weeks, had multiple ER visits (after office hours/weekends), multiple IV rehydrations in the Dr.'s office, and spent a week in the hospital. We then started "scheduling" IV fluid every other day. My last IV rehydration was at 20 weeks. I didn't even drive from probably week 8 until week 21. I returned to work at 25 weeks. Oral Zofran did not work very well for me, I would vomit it back up. IV Zofran did help, although I would occassionally still vomit with it. Tried multiple, multiple meds and homeopathic remedies. I had an 8% weight loss and did not return to starting weight until 22 weeks. I gained a total of 20 lbs using fairly agressive measures.

With DD2, I began vomiting at 5 weeks, had a few IV rehydrations in the Dr.'s office and then had PICC line placement due to poor IV access and expectation of long-term IV fluid need. I had daily IV fluid at home and IV Zofran. I was able to have PICC removed at 19 weeks, with sublingual Zofran. I returned to work (1 day a week) at 24 weeks. Only tried Zofran this round as it was the only thing that helped with the prior pregnancy. I had an 8+% weight loss and gained a total of 15 lbs, again using fairly agressive measures.

My girls are 4 years apart. I'm not sure I could have done it without significant family support and the fact that our then 3 year old could atleast do some things independently (go to the potty, get a drink of water, some snacks, etc.).

Between the 2 HG, extended breastfeeding, and chemo in 2007, my body is DONE!!!!

My OB said that they don't recommend PICC's anymore, instead they recommend NG/NJ tubes or possibly G-tubes. I was lucky that he let me have the PICC. I can't imagine the trauma of having a naso-gastric tube placed and present for months!
Wife to C (1998) , Mommy to DD#1 (2004), DD#2 (2008) & DD#3 (2010)
Lovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I lost 87lbs, yes, 87, with DD. I used to be overweight, LOL. Now I CAN'T gain weight, and am in the underweight catagory. My DS is 3weeks old, and I didn't vomit a single time with him. Had a few episodes of motion sickness feelings, but not bad.
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote