Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
ajthompson77
Registered Users

wearing diapers at night

My daughter is 4 1/2 years old. She has never gone a night without peeing in her diaper. And it is FULL in the morning. Is this normal for her age? Shouldn't she be growing out of it by now?
She also sleep walks and talks in her sleep. I read that this can go along with bedwetting. But is there anything we can do? It doesn't work to wait her up every few hours. She seems to pee all night long. If I check on her 30 minutes after bedtime, she's already wet. Any advice? Or do we just need to wait it out?

Advertisement

ajthompson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: wearing diapers at night

My oldest wet the bed until she was 4 1/2 and my current 4 year old still wets the bed every night. Well, she has stayed dry two nights in her whole life!! Their ped says it's normal and they will probably outgrow it by 6. If not by 6, then by puberty for sure. Totally frustrating. All the rest of my kids quit wetting at night shortly after they were day time trained.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
debrajbrown
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, I think you just need to wait it out. It's completely natural at this age (though frustrating!). My 5 year old finally stopped peeing at night a few months after he turned 5. My 4 year old, on the otherhand, was dry at night as soon as he was potty-trained at 2 1/2. Try not to sweat it - it's really common.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Shaunam
Registered Users

Every kid learns at a different age. I had a friend who wet the bed until she was 17.

If you are concerned about the talking/walking, I definitely ask your pedi for a referral to a sleep clinic. But the bedwetting at that age would not concern me.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wait it out. My older kids potty learned right at 2 and my son had to wear a diaper or pullup until a couple months after he turned 4 and my dd turned 5 earlier this month and she still has to wear a pullup. I wet the bed until 1st grade so it may be genetic and dd is also petite (32 pounds) so she must have a very small bladdar.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
vtmom0408
Registered Users

We are having the EXACT same problem!! DD is 4.5 and has never been dry at night and she's been daytime trained for 2 years. Part of my DD's problem is that I think her pull up is like a security blanket for her. She flips out if I even mention giving it up. She will also pee in it when she is awake which drives me nuts. If we talk about it, she seems to be jealous that her bro (14 months) wears diapers at night. She's also petrified that she'll wet the bed. She also sleeps like a log so I don't think that she is physically capable of keeping herself dry yet. We're going to try the Imse Vimse trainers, which I've been calling big girl nighttime undies, when we're out of pull-ups. I know she won't pee when she's awake in those and I'm curious to see how wet she'll get overnight. Then we'll go from there!!
vtmom0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
katy_mb3
Registered Users
seller

Our oldest DD is turning 5 in June and is still in a diaper at night. We've tried every trick in the book because she would much rather not wear one, but I just don't think she's ready - she can't seem to control it at all, despite her best intentions. Hang in there, Mama! Every kid's ready at a different time!
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

same here, DS1 turns 5 in June and wears a pull-up at night. Sometimes its dry, but most of the time its soaked by morning. He also sleeps like a log, so I've never even attempted getting him to wake at night to potty. I remember sleeping on a plastic covered mattress myself for awhile and MIL says DH was a bed wetter for the longest time also. It doesn't bother us at all, I just wish I could find something cloth that would hold it all in!
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I have never had this problem with my kids so far (I still have one in diapers, so we shall see!), but my best friend did with her son. He pees a ton. He is 6.5 now and recently outgrew it. I think time will help.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

my sis and i both wet the bed til we were like 10ish.... and i do walk and talk in my sleep, i think she does too occasionally. id never heard that it was connected though. interesting

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote