Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
fargomom27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need help! Having hard time getting 5 month old to go to sleep...

Between DH and I, we've spent almost 1.5 hours for Jonah's bedtime routine and helping him get to sleep. I try to put him down in his crib when he's sleepy, but he keeps fussing. He has a fresh diaper, is fed, burped, rocked, etc. I'm sure he is overtired, but I don't know how to get him to sleep tonight! (This is an ongoing problem.)

He's also teething, but no teeth yet.

Any ideas on how to GET your child to sleep, and get them to stay asleep longer, would be much appreciated! I'm becoming a burned-out mama...

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help! Having hard time getting 5 month old to go to sleep...

bumping this up for you in the hopes someone can help you out. hope it gets better, i know for us we ended up letting the boys cio, but i really hate that and i think 5 months is too young. but if he's only fussing, i don't see anything wrong with that. how long does he fuss for? have you read the no cry sleep solution? that has good suggestions on how to get babies to sleep better, but i haven't had the patience to follow through with them. but i do know that many mamas and daddies have had great success in just a week or so with the techniques she suggests. she being elizabeth pantley, the author. i know sleep problems can be so frustrating. it effects every aspect of your parenting, or at least it seems like it for me. if i don't sleep well, i am jsut not as patient, happy, motivated to play much, creative with meals. guh. anyway, im sorry your baby is not sleeping well and i hope you find a solution somewhere.

what is your bedtime routine? is it consistent? the same everytime, every day, in the same order? and calming? we used to give baths as part of the routine at that age, until we realized the boys hated baths and it was counterproductive. just an example from my experience.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
A'smommy
Registered Users

Swaddling, Shushing, Swinging...ack, there are 2 more S's from Dr. Harvey Karp's HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK. OK...just looked them up...Side/stomach (just temporarily until he's calm...if he's flailing being on his back will make it worse) and Sucking. Are you nursing? If he's formula-fed I don't know the rules for feeding them but I do know you can't overfeed a breastfed baby. If he's on formula maybe a pacifier would help.

With my DD I did the "5-minute rule"----not exactly crying it out, but not co-sleeping either. If she fussed when I put her down I'd give her 5 minutes, and then if she hadn't stopped (or if it got worse/louder) I'd go back into her room and get her. Usually she'd nurse and then we'd try again. And again. And again.

Hyland's Teething Tablets are all-natural and probably couldn't hurt to try. DD never really cared about them one way or another, but always wanted to nurse. Thank God she found her thumb when she was about your son's age!

GL and I hope you both can get some rest!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I dunno what to tell you. I'm watching this thead. I've spent 4.5 hours trying to get DS to sleep so far tonight. No luck. Wish I could help you & myself!