Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
heathersgirls
Registered Users
seller

Hosting a kids party...Any tips?

My older dd is turning 4 in a week and a half and we are having her first kiddo party this weekend...I am excited but of course want her and her friends to have a great time... As I have NEVER done this before I am looking for advice.....Does anyone have any tips on kid parties? Just need some pointers .

Thanks~Heather

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hosting a kids party...Any tips?

We love b-day parties here! This year we cut back to 7 guests, but in past years we've invited her entire class (not at our house though...it's not big enough)

How many kids are you inviting? Do you have a theme? Are parents staying? (they often do at that age). Is it at your house?

Have lots of stuff planned...at that age they are counting on you to entertain them. I've hired a magician in the past...just a high school kid for $50. He was such a hit that we hired him for our wedding too! You don't need to get nearly that extravagant though, I just did that to make life easier on me

Google and find some games for that age. Not games that takes supplies, things like red light green light, Simon Says, stuff like that. You probably won't play them all, but I really like to have something "up my sleeve" to fill the time.

Have something for them to do when they arrive, even just printed out sheets to color work well...just something so they can come in, feel welcome, and keep busy.

When your DD opens gifts, have her sit in a chair by herself, with another chair next to her. Have the person giving the gift bring it up to her and sit in the chair next to her, and make sure she thanks them before they get up. I like to take a pic of DD and each guest with the gift, we send them out in thank you notes.

Hmm...I'm sure I can come up with more, but this should be a good start

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Personally I found at that age nothing keeps there attention long and they just want to run around and play.

Pinatas are always a hit too!!!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
Personally I found at that age nothing keeps there attention long and they just want to run around and play.

I know what you mean...our house was never big enough for that though...had to keep them busy.

Honestly, DD's 4th b-day was a Chuck-E-Cheese...they could run around to their heart's content.

My biggest advice - have a nice big cocktail (or glass of wine, or beer) ready for when the last one leaves. you'll have tons of fun, your DD will love it, and you'll be glad you did it, but you'll be very happy when it's over

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma View Post

My biggest advice - have a nice big cocktail (or glass of wine, or beer) ready for when the last one leaves. you'll have tons of fun, your DD will love it, and you'll be glad you did it, but you'll be very happy when it's over
Amen sista!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
I know what you mean...our house was never big enough for that though...had to keep them busy.

Honestly, DD's 4th b-day was a Chuck-E-Cheese...they could run around to their heart's content.

I can't agree with this more.. Just make sure to keep em busy!! Games, activites, anything you have to do. LOL I have been to birthday parties and had our own where we did tie dye, making bracelets, keychains, crowns, door knob hangers, anything like that they just LOVE!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

One of the kids fave games here was a gift opening thing with music. Like musical chairs, or gift hot potato. Whomever is holding the gift when the music stops unwraps one layer. You can do it two ways - box inside of box type, so that each layer contains a gift, or just wrapping paper layers that each child unwraps, ending on your child and the gift is sufficient for everyone. Candy, tolkens (like erasers or some kind of fun little toy) is fun for them to play with (for 5 min lol). We liked to do stuff outside for dd, since she's a june baby, but one year it rained. We set up a soccer net down in the basement and the kids played one sided soccer for about 15-20 min while I got the cake etc. ready. My dh was no use, but I did have other moms there to help keep them in check. They also like to play other kinds of games, like real hot potato, telephone, and we always do some kind of craft that the kids take w/them. This year we got faaaancy and did tie dyes (bandanas and sarongs), but when she was 4 we painted those little suncatchers (I like the little boxes). I got them at Oriental Trading, which is a GREAT resource for buying party stuff.

Also, a tea party with little sandwiches and tea cakes is a nice little girls party. If it's mixed boys and girls, you'll have to be creative to please them all, but it's a lot of fun. Good luck!

ETA: One year - I think she was turning 6 - we did a prince/ss party and I bought fabric and everyone made their own capes. I used glue-on (read iron on) stars and moons and crowns, and they had a BLAST. I see those darned capes at their houses to this day! Lol...

Last edited by reborin; 12-13-2006 at 10:35 PM.
reborin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
heathersgirls
Registered Users
seller

You all rock Thank you so much for the suggestions! To answer some q's

Quote:
How many kids are you inviting? Do you have a theme? Are parents staying? (they often do at that age). Is it at your house?
We invited 19 including dd, but 11 have rsvp'd and I have gift bag makings for 15 just in case.

It is an ocean theme. DD loves the ocean. We got the decorations today, green and blue streamers, green and blue wavy water looking things, ocean animal cut-outs, plates etc...

I am assuming parents are staying, all the kids are 4ish (I would be shocked if they didn't stay.)

It is at our house. We are going to transform the living room into an underwater adventure .

Quote:
Google and find some games for that age. Not games that takes supplies, things like red light green light, Simon Says, stuff like that. You probably won't play them all, but I really like to have something "up my sleeve" to fill the time.
We thought we would have a treasure hunt and I got a "don't crack the egg" game. But I love the idea of simon says and red light, green light. Simple and needs no accessories!

Quote:
When your DD opens gifts, have her sit in a chair by herself, with another chair next to her. Have the person giving the gift bring it up to her and sit in the chair next to her, and make sure she thanks them before they get up. I like to take a pic of DD and each guest with the gift, we send them out in thank you notes.
Love this

Quote:
I REALLY REALLY wanted to have a pinata (I think it would be so cute) but I am worried they would wreck my house, lol!!!

Quote:
I am all about having a big fat drink when it's all done

Quote:
ETA: One year - I think she was turning 6 - we did a prince/ss party and I bought fabric and everyone made their own capes. I used glue-on (read iron on) stars and moons and crowns, and they had a BLAST. I see those darned capes at their houses to this day! Lol...
I thought about decorating cupcakes but I feel I am running out of time...Any quick ideas maybe?

Anything I may have missed? Any other thoughts? Again you all rock with the suggestions. ~Heather
Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Just so you know they make pinatas now that have strings where they each pull a string and there is only 1 string that opens it. We added a punch more to the box one year so they each got a couple turns! They had a blast! Besides I wasn't comfortable with 4-5 yr olds swings a bat of some sorts in my house either! LOL
Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
heathersgirls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Just so you know they make pinatas now that have strings where they each pull a string and there is only 1 string that opens it. We added a punch more to the box one year so they each got a couple turns! They had a blast! Besides I wasn't comfortable with 4-5 yr olds swings a bat of some sorts in my house either! LOL
THIS sounds so cool!!!! Where do I get one? Oh yeah, can you imagine, 4 yr olds with a bat going nuts in my living room???? The thought makes me laugh, but the reality of it is a LOT scary!!