Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
SarahLee318
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What else does a one year old BFing baby drink?

I give DD cow's milk at least once a day but she only takes a sip or two and then is not interested. She still nurses about 4-6 times during the day and more at night. She is 14 months. She does drink a lot of water and has since she was about 6 months, we have never had a lack of weight issue with her so were never worried about her drinking too much water. SHe weighs 30 lbs.

ETA--she does eat cheese, yogurt and fruit and veggies but mostly nurses still.

Advertisement

Follow me on Facebook to see my latest creations!

Last edited by SarahLee318; 05-02-2009 at 07:17 PM.
SarahLee318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We only give water and BM, but she also nurses more than a couple of times a day. I have no plans to start cow's milk until it is time to wean.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
SuperBlessedMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine is only 9 months, but I only give him water besides bf. (and now it's not that much water). But, he loves it. He sees me drinking it, so he really wanted it. I'm so glad that he'll develop a real love for water. i don't plan to start him on juice or cows milk. I read somewhere not to start babies on cows milk before they are 2 or they can/will develop allergies. And my pedi said juice isn't a food group. LOL
SuperBlessedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
mom2abbie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa1073 View Post
Once they turn 1 it's safe to give them cows milk.But I had a hard time convincing DD.If it didn't come from the tap she didn't want it. As long as their eating yogurt, cheese and fruit I wouldn't worry
Our ped said the same thing. DD didn't drink cow's milk until 18 mths and only flavored with Banana at that point. She still won't drink plain white cows milk. We would give her water. She still doesn't drink juice.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
nm45832
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is only 10 months old, but he only drinks breastmilk, and occasionally water in a sippy -although he isn't very good with the sippy at all, and rarely gets more than 1/2 an oz out of it over the course of a whole day. I have no plans to give him anything other than breastmilk or water until he is at least 18 months, and no cows milk at all until after he has weaned (around 2 ish is my goal)
niclupton.blogspot.com
nm45832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 20 months and still nurses a lot but we do give hemp milk in a cup.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS (2) drinks raw milk, sometimes plain, sometimes with Carnation Instant Breakfast powder (Pedi said its the best if you're going to flavor milk cause it has all the vitamins and nutrients of BM or formula, and similar to pediasure) and DD (10mo) drinks still is mainly EBF, but will drink a bottle of formula a couple of times a week, and sometimes water.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
SMML
Registered Users
seller

DS is 10 mo, BF'ing 3 times during the day and 3 times in the evening/overnight. We give him water with his solid food meals and he loves it - he actually gets to the point where he will stop eating and get fussy, so I give him some water in his sippy and then he'll eat again. We did give him watered down juice when we first introduced the sippy cup, but he likes water well enough that we haven't done that in awhile.

I've given him plain soymilk here and there (outside of the smoothies he has for breakfast several times a week), but only about 1 oz or less. When we wean him, we plan to continue with the soymilk. Soymilk has a little less fat than cow milk, but otherwise it's packed with nutrition and DS can get his fat from other things.
SMML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have 1 yr old right but when DD1 and DD2 were one yr old they just drank water. DD2 started drinking milk at about 17 months. I offered it to her when my mild supply dropped when I was pregnant with DD3. Since I was pregnant there wasn't anything I could really do to stimulate my milk supply. She really like milk then, but now she seems to have back off on drinking very much milk.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #20
nicoleandmax
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone your insights are great to hear/read! We are also doing raw milk!