Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need advice for skin problem...

HI all!
I'm waiting to get in to see the ped, thought I would ask for some advice here. Aedhan started getting what looked like eczema on his cheeks...nothing new for my kids. I kept it well-lubed with Vaseline, but the skin started oozing and weeping, and now his cheeks have a yellow crust on them. It looks REALLY awful. I will post a pic as soon as I locate my memory card.

I'm still keeping it lubed, have started using Neosporin as well. I still think it's eczema, DH disagees. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any advice?

Advertisement

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need advice for skin problem...

Hmm the crusty yellow and oozing to me sound more like impetigo. I used to and stillat times get an outbreak on my lips although for kids it is more common on the face around mouth and on the hands I believe.
Also the vaseline drying could be causing a yellow oozing apperance too.
Now impetigo can be caused by 2 different bugs a viral and a bacterial I believe, I know staph does one, and I forget whichis more common. Just do a online search for it and you will get a bunch of immages, not the pretiest and you can see how it looks different too depending on where it is found. When I had it we would put bacitracin on it until resolved.

HTH,
heidi
Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
weddell
Registered Users
seller

It could be eczema that has become infected. Sometimes eczema can ooze on its own too, but if it is yellowish, it could be infected. The over the counter antibiotic ointment probably isn't strong enough and you'll need a prescription one. Our dr gave us one to keep around in case dd's eczema gets infected.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, infected eczema is impetigo. Your Dr may tell you to put bactroban on it. Thats normally what you use for it. My son had a mild case of eczema and on his bum he had impetigo, and we used bactroban and it cleared right up. Wash your hands thouroughly after touching the infected areas as to not spread it.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

yep..agreeing with the impetigo..my 12 you had pretty bad ecaema as a bay and sometimes it would be oozy like that..impetigo.
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not to be a dissenter, but my friend Kelli's little girl had a similar sounding thing. Turned out she was allergic to rice (rice cereal, at that time). Have you considered food allergies? Wheat/gluten, dairy/casein, corn, egg, tree nuts, peanuts, and soy are the Big 8, but rice and other food can also cause allergic reactions. I hope it clears up soon!!!