Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
stupid doctor

So we took Beth into the walk in this morning, she hasn't had anything to eat since 4am and when I did try and feed her this morning she threw it all up. I was worried about her becoming dehydrated as her soft spot is a tad sunken and she looks horrible. So this doctor comes in for literally less than two minutes. Says "yup she's got a virus" Really? cause I already knew that. "give her dimetapp and advil" I told him we have been and this has been going on for 5 days now. to which he replies "just give her lots of fluids" seriously did he not just hear me???? I told him she won't keep anything down right now! her average is 10-15 oz a day and no solid feedings right now. normally she eats 35oz and four feedings of solids. So he says, well if it doesn't go away take her to her family doctor or the ER? Seriously do you not go to the doctor before it becomes a reason to go to the hospital?? I don't know what the guy gets paid for? I could have done his job today! Normally after a few days you see some light at the end of the tunnel and she's been going strong like this for five days! So at what point of if it doesn't go away or start to get better do you take her in?? cause I just did that and got the blanket response with no help!

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: stupid doctor

Ugh. If possible, I'd take her to the ER to be safe. With a sunken soft spot, I'm be a little worried. I'm sure she'll be okay, but they may need to get an IV in her to give her some fluids.

Poor baby, I hope she gets better soon!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I would either go to the ER or see if you can get in with a ped ASAP!
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
targhee
Registered Users

If you take her to the ER you may get the same response, but in likelihood I bet they would give her some IV fluids.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I would take her in! She isn't getting near enough fluids! Babies dehydrate way too easily! mama
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like the virus my little one is just now getting over. Verything that went in came back out again, we stopped solids which made his reflux come back which wasnt a pretty picture on top of it all. What we were told by the triage nurse line and or doc when we did take him inlater was that to start with a tablespoon of pedialyte and if it stays down then repeat 15 min later. They may not like the tast even of the flavored ones so we did it at times with a syringe and at times out of a shot glass for the novelty He 10 months and wants to be a big boy.
I'm sorry your doc didnt tell you this. You do need to keep him hydrated, and this is how to start.
Signs of dehydration include sunken looking eyes, no pee (this is most inportant), another sign is called poor capillary refill, You pinch their fingernail and see how long it takes to go from that white back to pink, more than 2 seconds and your dehydrated(doc should have doen this to check too).
If you have any of these or he cant keep the pedialyte down then definately take him into the ER and yes if he is dehydrated they will have to IV fluid him. We tried at all costs to avoid this with the pedialyte routine, he did throw it up a few times and when I would try to nurse he would throw up, I would do this after he was good on the other for a while but still too soon.

Anyways good luck, also sucking on the pedialyte frozen popsicles worked too at times.

heidi

Last edited by BeedieWeedieB; 12-14-2006 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added capillary refill info
BeedieWeedieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

well she's kept down 3.5 oz of formula and 4.5 oz of water mixed with a tad of apple juice. She's sleeping now, has been most of the day. So when she wakes up I'll try that test! Shes got a bottle with her in bed as she likes to fall asleep with a bottle and I'm hoping that'll mean she'll drink more! we're alternating right now between formula and water. Should I start giving her lactose free formula while she's sick? Does that help with the tummy issues? I've only changed two diapers today, the first one was packed full, but she slept in that one all night and then one about 10 minutes ago and it only had a small pee in it. Is it safe to give pedialite to a 7 month old?
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes pedialyte is safe for a 7 month old, mine was 8 months at the time. I saw somewhere the order of how long to restart different fluids after vomiting like this. First allowed was pedialyte then after keeping that down so long was breastmilk, then formula then milk, etc. I will try to find it after dinner. Also if they can keep the pedialyte down then after the first maybe hour or so you can increase to 2 tablespoons or more as they handle it. Water is ok, but they need to replenish more than just water as they lose a lot when they vomit, of course mine was having it go out both ends at first until there was nothing left it seemed. Its all about a little at a time and keeping it up. So wet is better than none, but keep hydrating. It is sad to have to see a needle go into your babe, but of course worth it if warranted.

GL,
heidi

Last edited by BeedieWeedieB; 12-14-2006 at 04:44 PM.
BeedieWeedieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

water is actually pretty hard to keep down, and it can hurt tummies. stick with pedialyte, formula, even soup broth if she has had it before. i would not recommend switching formulas at this point.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081300.asp here is a link about dehydration that is pretty helpful. someone linked to this when my boys were sick and i found it reassuring. i hope you do too.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes at this point with her dehydration, water would go right through anyways. She needs the sodium from the pedialyte so she can retain the fluid more. If she's not better very soon I would take her in. When a body is dehydrated, it's much harder for the body to fight and get better. Our bodies are made up of mostly water and when that water is not being replenished it can not function properly.

Mandi
mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote