Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
wembles
Registered Users
seller

Night Nursing

My DS is 4.5 months old and sleeps with us. He wakes up around 2-3 times a night to nurse. I have a couple of questions about that, though. At our 4 month visit, our doctor told us we should try to cut back or eliminate the night nursing--she suggested cutting out all but the longest nursing session. Has anyone done this? Or should I just keep on doing what we're doing? I have noticed DS is nursing for much shorter sessions at night. He will have one longer session at midnight, then a quick 2-3 minute session around 4, and maybe another at 6 before we get up at 7:30. I have noticed that with him cutting back on how much milk he is taking, I have been waking up engorged, and the past 2 days, with small lumps. After he nurses for his 2-3 minutes, I've had to get up and pump to get some relief. Any thoughts or advice??

Advertisement

wembles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night Nursing

My DD did the same thing. I think that she needed the comfort of nursing to fall asleep again. I did cut out those shorter feedings and than eventually the long one. At this age he should be sleeping through the night. I didn't know that than but I do now. Your milk supply should adjust but it may take awhile. If you continue to pump than you will make the same amount. I used to call those bumps cockroaches. LOL I'm not sure what else you can do other than pumping to reduce the engorgement, maybe someone else has advice on that. I realize that it's very painful to be that full. Also do you have access to a lactation consultant, call the hospital and ask. She may be able to help you.

Last edited by KimA; 05-04-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: clarification
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
fourstac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just keeping doing what YOU want to do...your Doctor has no right to talk about sleeping, nursing and such (unless it is a problem for you or your LO)...Our DD is now 17 months and usually only nurses ONCE during the night...maybe twice every third night...do what makes you and your LO happy!
Stacy: semi-crunchy/silly wife to Alex WAHM to home-waterbirthed perfect DD, Parker, (11/07) and new DS (10/10) Co-sleeping, non-vaxing, BFing, APing, coffee-drinking, deal-obsessing, dog-loving 100% Mom.
www.facebook.com/parkerbuttonspage Fresh Sewn goodness-handcrafted bags
fourstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here's some info from kellymom about this subject.

here's some of what she says:

It is common for breastfed babies to not sleep through the night for a long period of time. On the other hand, some breastfed babies start sleeping through the night when a few months old.
. . .
Probably one of the main reasons that night-waking babies are such a big issue is that parents don't have realistic expectations of the sleep patterns of babies. We are bombarded with magazine articles and books that perpetuate the myth that babies should not have nighttime needs. Babies were designed to wake up often at night to feed and cuddle, and keep in mind that many adults wake during the night, too. If our expectations for babies were not so different from our babies' expectations for themselves, much of this "problem" might disappear.

My DD is 14 months and still does sleep through the night. She usually wakes 1-2X per night to nurse. It's totally normal for some babies. My DS slept through the night at this age. Every baby is different.

As young as yours is, I wouldn't quit nursing at night. Just my $.02.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
PurpleRina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You only need to ask yourself two questions:

1) Are there medical reasons why your ped suggested cutting down on night feeds? (And there aren't many besides very excessive weight gain).

2) Are the night feedings negatively impacting your ability to care for him? (i.e. too tired, grumpy, frustrated?)

If the answers are 'no' then ignore the ped (and any other "shoulds" from anyone) and do what works for YOU and YOUR SON.
PurpleRina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my baby is 21 months old and still doesnt sleep through the night, and wakes every few hours to nurse. i think that most allopathic pediatricians know jack crap about human lactation.
keep nursing your son at night, let him nurse all night if thats something you are comfortable with. there is NO reason at 4.5 months old to night wean him, not even partially. he is a growing baby, and he needs as many calories and immunities as he can get with your milk.
breastfed babies wake more often to nurse because breastmilk digests much easier.
its been said that we make more hind milk, the more filling, more fatty milk, at night because thats when our babies are stockpiling all those yummy fat calories.
so keep nursing your son at night. listen to your baby and your gut. not to a man who gets paid by formula companies
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Keep doing what you are doing as long as it is working for you. My baby girl will be 6 months on wednesday and she still is nursing 2-3 times a night. Nikolas didn't night wean until about 12 months.

FWIW--Last night Kate nursed about 6 times because she isn't feeling well.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with everyone else...keep doing what you're doing! My dd is 5 1/2 months and nurses 3-4 overnight.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

cut back on night nursing ha! ds is 7 months old and nursing every 2 hours
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
Asher'sMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are babies that don't nurse at night??? LOL. My 9 month old nurses at least 2 times, usually 3 times at night. And that's only counting from 11 pm to 7 am. Which is why we have ended up co-sleeping a good bit of the time when I never thought I would.
and P (17)
Forever missing our Bee (twin B) 10/3/14
Praying for baby coming in May
Asher'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote