Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
mayamason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does this rash look like a staph infection?

It started almost a week ago as small flesh-colored bumps, that eventually turned red and now have scabbed over. If you look really close, each of the scabs looks sort of like a 'hole' in the skin.

I'm a little bit freaking out after a few minutes of Googling, thinking it's staph or maybe even MRSA. Anyone have experience with this, and can tell me if that's what it looks like? What is the treatment for something like this? (I'm making a dr. appt in the morning regardless, I just want a little reassurance in the meantime that it either is/isn't.)

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does this rash look like a staph infection?

My DD had a staph infection following a chemical burn when we used Charlies Soap..it did look similar to your dd's when it started out but got worse and the "holes" formed deep pockets...pood kid still has a scar on her crotch area and it's been over 2 years since the rash...it took FOREVER to heal but nothing dangerous happened. I hope your DD gets better soon, looks painful.

ETA- to treat it we rotated desitin and antibiotic ointment and used spouses until it went away. I put a touch of bleach (which we NEVER use- have not since then or before, but to kill the staph) in the diapers and stripped them before we put her back in cloth.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog

Last edited by AnnaG01; 05-04-2009 at 08:28 PM.
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
NimblePhish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD had MRSA and it didn't look like that, it was small pimple like things that grew incrediably fast over night. My DS did get blisters from some kind of build up on his diapers and it did look like that. I changed my wash routine and switched to sposies for a weak. It could also be a yeast infection, but I don't exactly know what it looks like. If you are concerned the doctors can test for a staph infection.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
CharlieInCharge
Registered Users

My first thought was yeast, but my oldest once got a rash like that from an allergic reaction to something in her diet. It doesn't really look like staph to me.

Definitely get it checked out if it's not better in a hurry, though.
CharlieInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I think it might be yeast too...you can try gentain violet on it, it works wonders for me when I've had thrush on my nips and for my DS when he has too.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
cbeehler3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't look like staph or mrsa. It does look yucky though. I would definitely take her to the doc.
Sorry, Momma.
cbeehler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
mayamason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmmm.....well, it started while I was out of town last week. It never fails, as soon as I go out of town, DD ends up at MIL's house a little more often than normal. Which means she eats too much dairy (which she's sensitive to) and wears sposies. At first I thought maybe the initial bumps were from the disposable diapers. But now it sounds like sposies might be a good idea for a few days. I wonder if it was triggered by something in her diet while I was gone?

And we use Charlies, too. But she's never had the 'Charlie's burn' that I've read about on here, so I think it's probably not from that. ? I'm already paranoid enough from Googling that we're going to the drs. LOL. Note to self - pulling up links to 'What does staph/MRSA look like' is probably not for those with a weak stomach.....
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
meetupdiva
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's doesn't look like Staph at all.....take it from me who isn't happy with the fact that we've had 6 cases of MRSA in the past 16 months (four for me, and one case for both my DD)....but that doesn't mean it can't get infected with staph bacteria and become infected. Keep it treated, and I definetly would take her to see the doctor.

In the meantime, if you see pus leaking from the holes, or the reddness or swelling grows agressively, Call the doc right away. Fevers, vomiting, chills, etc....take her to emergency.

Happy Air Force Wife/Mom of two girls (Aug 05, Dec 07), and a Boy(Jun 09)
Organizer of a fantastic Mommy Group
www.spokanemamas.org/about/!
meetupdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd gets rashes like these frequently. We finally figured out that it wasn't yeast (which we'd been treating her for) and it wasn't staph or MSRA. In fact, she's allergic to poly materials. Everytime I put her in anything (especially suedecloth) she has those terrible rashes that just look awful. This recently (now treated) showed up on her after just 1 hour in a diaper I should've known not to put her in:

Just keep an eye on it. When we have these types of rashes, I use Apple Cider Vinegar and water mixed together in a spray bottle and spray her at every diaper change and let her air out for a minute to dry it. It works wonders for us!
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
mayamason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetupdiva View Post
It's doesn't look like Staph at all.....take it from me who isn't happy with the fact that we've had 6 cases of MRSA in the past 16 months (four for me, and one case for both my DD)....but that doesn't mean it can't get infected with staph bacteria and become infected. Keep it treated, and I definetly would take her to see the doctor.

In the meantime, if you see pus leaking from the holes, or the reddness or swelling grows agressively, Call the doc right away. Fevers, vomiting, chills, etc....take her to emergency.
to you. That had to be awful to go through.