Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Re: Can you bleach colored diapers

You ladies are brave. I don't think I would use them even after bleach and hot washes. I'm so so sorry you're all dealing with this

Advertisement

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

I'm not dealing with the staph thing. I am just afraid of any diapers I receive now. No offense to anyone I have bought diapers from.

When I saw that post with the staph warning, I avoided those diapers like my family during the holidays !! DH is a paramedic and was adamit (sp?) about me not buying any of her dipes. Plus, I thought they were a little over priced any way !

I was one of those people who was so excited to receive a new dipe, that I ripped it open and put it on DD. Thank God nothing was wrong with the ones I received thus far, but when I got my new ones today, they went straight to the washer with bleach and lots of hot water.

I am definately sorry for all the Mamas and precious Babies that have to deal with those dipes.

Nikki
Old 12-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #13
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

I normally use just about a tablespoon (1/8 cup is 3 tablespoons) in my front loader but I've yet to have any problems with washing colored diapers. 99% of our diapers are colored... no fading or anything other than what is normal with wear.

This small amount of bleach used to sanitize is much less than what people commonly use to "bleach" a load of laundry.. it really shouldn't cause problems. In most places, your water ALREADY contains bleach (aka chlorine) you're just adding a bit more.

FWIW we used bleach for lingering stink issues.. I'd take diapers out of the wash and they'd smell - faintly, but I could still smell it, and it was the same coming out of the dryer (like a skunky smell). Turns out I actually wasn't using enough detergent at the time (I was afraid to use too much in my FL). I haven't used any bleach in a couple of months, since I got brave and upped the detergent a little. Most of our stash is fitteds with internal soakers, so I think there was stuff getting trapped in the thick layers that just wasn't coming clean.

DD actually did get an impetigo infection in the time since I stopped using the bleach. We switched to sposies for 10 days while using the bactroban to clear it up (didn't want to take a chance that would gunk up our dipes), and when we switched back to cloth she was fine.. no problems since and I didn't do anything special at all to her diapers. Our pedi actually said she though it was strep and not staph though, but we didn't get it cultured since it cleared up pretty quick.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

so is the 1/8 bleach good for a full wash?
i don't even buy bleach but now have the urge to just bleach all my diapers, i need to ehad to target tomorrow since i'm doing laundry tomorrow, so you all are SURE this will not ruin the diapers right? PUL is fine and colors don't fade?
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have a problem, and I was very afraid to use on my cd's. I am fairly new to c/d and I have bought all my dipes used on here and have paid quite a bit. I was so afraid to ruin them, but I was more afraid of a disease my baby might catch.

After the washer was full of water I added the bleach maybe about 1/4 cup and I have a few bright pink FB's that I was afraid would stain or bleed, and nothing happened, just clean dipes. I did do an extra risnse.

Good Luck- I may even add a little bleach to my kids clothes............naaahhh,

Nikki
Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So 1/8 cup is enough to kill staph?
I'm going to bleach all of my used dipes now...it would be terrible to put them on my nb (when she comes.) only to have her get a staph infection....
I'm really upset over this and I dont think I have any of her dipe....at least I hope not! It really makes me leary of buying used dipes now.

Jackie
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
SerenitysBowtique
Registered Users
Formerly: Serenity0811
seller

My Mood:

I was wondering if you can use the New Clorox® UltimateCare™ Premium Bleach? It says its safe even if you pour it on the clothing? Or should I just try the regular old fashion bleach?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

I think that I would use regular old fashioned bleach. Only, because we don't know what may have been taken out or added to make it safe on clothes. You need the full strength I think.

Nikki
Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #19
Gloria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
so is the 1/8 bleach good for a full wash?
i don't even buy bleach but now have the urge to just bleach all my diapers, i need to ehad to target tomorrow since i'm doing laundry tomorrow, so you all are SURE this will not ruin the diapers right? PUL is fine and colors don't fade?
I've bleached fitteds, prefolds and inserts with no problem. I put my very baby AIO's in with a load that I bleached and now those 3 have bleach spots on them. I would be carefil with PUL. I haven't had any trouble with fuzzi bunz though, but ive only bleached one of those one time and only because it got lost and when I found it, it REEKED!!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Gloria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also, wheres the thread about staph? sp?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote