Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

SHARE YOUR FAVORITE RECIPES!

i'm in a food rut when i start turning to soccer mom meals (like hotdogs wrapped in biscuits, except homeade biscuits and soy hotdogs or mini pizzas made with biscuits....basically, too many biscuits in our meals lately!), i know i need some new ideas
i am a vegan now, so if you have any dairy free/eat free favorites please share! otherwise, i'm getting good at adapting recipes so share anyways!

your favorite lunch recipe and your favorite dinner recipe

Advertisement

Last edited by harmoni247; 05-06-2009 at 01:19 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: SHARE YOUR FAVORITE RECIPES!

no good recipes? is everyone else in a food rut too?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a great new blog that i subscribe to that we are going to try some of the meals this week. She has a bunch of recipes of all kinds, but has a vegan section that we are pulling some from as I am a vegan now, too
http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com...pes%3A%20Vegan

Edited to add that I have been eating some of the Amy's organic soups for lunch with whole what rolls. I love them. I also like to get the veggie burrito from chipotle when we go out. my kids and dh arent vegan or even vegetarian, so they eat a few vegan meals a week and then i eat leftovers the rest of the week

edited again to add, thanks for sharing that book Skinny Bit*h with me. I really enjoyed it

Last edited by doublebk; 05-06-2009 at 01:28 PM.
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Bellibowbottoms
Registered Users
Formerly: bumblebeej
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just got Veganomicon. That's a great cookbook!

But I love this...from Fat Free Vegan

Roasted Cauliflower Soup
(printer-friendly version)

I used a blender to get this silky smooth, but a food processor or hand blender might also work. Be careful not to burn yourself opening and pouring from the blender because the mixture can be super-heated.

1 cauliflower (I used an orange one)
1 onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, peeled
4 cups fat-free vegetable broth
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
4 drops truffle oil (optional, but good)
Smoked Spanish paprika, to garnish

Preheat oven to 400. Cut the cauliflower into florets and place them into a large baking dish sprayed with oil. Lightly spray the top of the cauliflower with oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the onion wedges and garlic on top of the cauliflower, spray lightly with olive oil, and return to the oven. Cook for 20-25 more minutes, stirring once halfway through.

While the vegetables are roasting, heat the vegetable broth and add the chopped potato. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cook covered on very low until cauliflower is ready.

Add the cauliflower mixture to the broth. Puree it, in batches, in the blender until very smooth. Return it to the pot and add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Just before serving, stir in a few drops of truffle oil, if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve, sprinkled with smoked Spanish paprika.

Downhome Funky Goodness right here on DS.
Bellibowbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one,but it has dairy in it...It's a chili dip... You will need... 2 cans chili(preferably cinncinati chili(you can buy this at Kroger),but you can use any kind) 2pkgs cream cheese 1 lb shredded cheese Preheat over to 375,in a small glass dish(preferably square) line bottom of dish with cream cheese,pour chili over cream cheese then completely cover top of chili with shredded cheese. Put in the oven & cook until bubbling & cheese is completely melted. That's it all done.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

ooo yay! recipes

i think i' gonna try the lentils! (i've been scared to try lentils for fear of cooking them wrong i messed the up pretty bad the one and only time i tried)

and the chili dip is actually a good idea for leftover chili - i make so much at a time that we get sick of it before it's gone...and i have vegan ("fake") cream cheese that i've been wondering what to do with!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

ooo and i just remebered that organIc cauliflower is on sale this week! so i can try that soup too!

which leads to another question...anyone have a secret to keeping potatos without them growing roots?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Flutterbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't remember where I found this recipe but it's my fave when it's hot out.

Black Bean Salad

3 bell peppers (I use red, orange and yellow for color kick, can be any combo of the 3) chopped
1 tomato, squeeze out seeds and chop
1/2 red onion chopped
a handfull of cilantro finely chopped
juice of 1 large or 2 small limes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
drizzle of olive oil
1 tbs cumin
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Can be served immediately or refrigerated to let the flavors combine.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
ooo yay! recipes

i think i' gonna try the lentils! (i've been scared to try lentils for fear of cooking them wrong i messed the up pretty bad the one and only time i tried)

and the chili dip is actually a good idea for leftover chili - i make so much at a time that we get sick of it before it's gone...and i have vegan ("fake") cream cheese that i've been wondering what to do with!

Yay,glad that I could help you out! I usually buy some scoops chips & use that to dip out the chili,but you can also just eat it the way it is.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbee View Post
I don't remember where I found this recipe but it's my fave when it's hot out.

Black Bean Salad

3 bell peppers (I use red, orange and yellow for color kick, can be any combo of the 3) chopped
1 tomato, squeeze out seeds and chop
1/2 red onion chopped
a handfull of cilantro finely chopped
juice of 1 large or 2 small limes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
drizzle of olive oil
1 tbs cumin
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Can be served immediately or refrigerated to let the flavors combine.
I make a recipe similar to this it is sooooo good! I add a can of shoepeg corn though