Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
erthangel
Registered Users
seller

Help! Ear infection???

I need some advice..

My DD had pink eye 2 1/2 weeks ago.. I took her to the ped. and she said Yup Pink eye ( actually she told us on call she didn't think it was pink eye and to call in the morning for an appt, HELLO you need to SEE her eyes and I've had pink eye and knows what it looks like) anyway! BTW: She has a double ear infection.. REALLY? I had no idea! Ok..

We went through an antibiotic for 10 days, went for a re-check yesterday and she has a SERIOUS ear infection.. Another antibitoitc see you in 10-14 days...

BUT.. here is my problem..

My DD has NO signs of an ear infection, no fussing, no waking up at night cryiing (which is my tell-tale sign for my kids), eating fine, no tripping.. And when the dr. LOOKED at her ears she sat STILL!!!! If she has a SERIOUS ear infection she would be crying and wiggling, which has happened before.. Nope she sat still and let the dr look!!!

I am totally frustrated and have a gut feeling that she doesn't have one..

Any advice?????

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Re: Help! Ear infection???

david didnt have any symptoms either.
he has no fever iether ?
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
erthangel
Registered Users
seller

Sorry I didn't know which forum it belonged in LOL! I had this one open first..

NO fever, nothing... She is super happy and no signs at all!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

My youngest had 17 ear infections before he was 15mths and had tubes put in-I never knew he had an infection. I would find out by taking him in for something else-either a well child check or sometimes for another issue, only to be told he had another ear infection. Good luck, I always hated when he got one, cuz he woudl be put on a stronger antibiotic cuz he kept getting them.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i'd take the child to a different ped and get a second opinion
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think if the doctor saw one, there is one. Why would they lie about that?

The little boy I watch is 22 months old, he was HORRIBLE for two days, and that's nothing like him, so I told his mom and she got him in to his Peds. He had an ear infection and went on antibiotics, they didn't work. She took him back today for a check because they are getting ready to go out of town and it got WORSE and turned into a double ear infection, but we had no idea, he's been his normal self. He got a different kind of antibiotic. He was on Omnicef and went to Augmentin.

If one family didn't work for her (the penicillians or the ceph-whatevers I think) then the other probably will.

Ear infections are one thing that I'll more than likely always use antibiotics for. I've had so many and they are terrible. DS has had so many he's already got tubes at 8m old!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want some herbal advice, PM me and I can point you in the right direction.....

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Weird for sure. I'm often skeptical of dr's who have no evidence for their diagnosis. I'd try a 2nd opinion.

To help cure an ear infection try two things.

1. change the pH of the ear to be more acidic. You can do this by adding some onion or lemon juice (just mince up the onion and then soak up the juice on a cotton ball, then squeeze the cotton ball into her ear). When it's in, keep her on her opposite side for a while, maybe 2 min., then let it drain onto a soft towel.

2. Heat the ear up. Use warm olive oil with a touch of garlic (antibacterial) in it. Same deal - just hold her on her side, drop in warm oil (maybe 5-10 drops), hang with her on her opposite side for a min or two, then let it drain.

I reall yhope she's better soon!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
augustgirl69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The diagnosis of an ear infection (like much of western medicine) is based on a drs opinion. What one might call an infection, may be rednees to another. Something like 85% of all ear infections are viral, therefore all an antibiotic does is wipe out all the good bacteria, leaving your child more suseptible to other illnesses.

IMO, you are best off finding a competent chiropractor, they can check for ear infections and they can adjust your child, regardless. The ear, if it is infected needs to drain. The above advice to change the PH or use garlic oil is the best advice you can find.

If you do choose to keep using the abx, remember to add probiotics to you child's diet to help replace all the good bacteria that is being wiped out.

GL