Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help me figure out good discipline for my 19 month old twins...

Hi Ladies!
Heather, thanks for your input. You definitely will not get any flames from me either.
I keep thinking that a short 'time out' may work... however, I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. We don't have a Pack-N-Play, when they were much younger I had a LARGE playpen, but I was so happy to see that monster go up to the attic, and I'm not getting it down again .
The room that has the taboo plant is our living room, which is beside the playroom... the playroom still has the swing gate up from when they were smaller (and they nap in there, so I close the gate if I go outside or whatever while they are napping). There have been a few times that I have made them go to the playroom when they are digging in the plant - and they definitely were NOT happy about being shut off from the living room. However, I don't want them to see the playroom as a 'punishment' room, and I also don't think that a room full of toys helps them get the point.

The thing is... they only mess with this plant because they *know* they are not supposed to. When we are out in the yard, they do not pull and break my outside plants - although, I guess the outside is a whole other world to them?? I don't know. Its just frustrating and I wish I could find a magic answer but I think its starting to look like I may have to remove the plant for awhile.

Thanks again ladies... its just nice to know that you all have dealt with this! I'm sure its just going to get more and more interesting as we move along...

SAHM to Eli & Sadie, my beautiful twins born 10/19/07
Loving wife to Tyler
golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help me figure out good discipline for my 19 month old twins...

Originally Posted by golgi View Post

The thing is... they only mess with this plant because they *know* they are not supposed to.
This to me says, you can definitely (and should) find a way to correct this behavior. You are setting a precedent. Teach them to obey now and it will be easier later on.

As far as not using the playroom, I would definitely use it. Toddlers are smart. They totally understand the difference between being "punished" (although, I don't like that word) and not. I used my older son's crib in his room when we were in his room. It never caused any problems with sleep. I also use the exersaucers downstairs now. I don't have the pack and play downstairs anymore, so if they need a timeout, they go in their exersaucers. (I have small kids. They still fit. ) They also use their exersaucer for playing in and sometimes I put them in front of a Baby Einstein movie in it while I'm cooking dinner. They definitely know the difference of being in it for a time out and being in it for play or movie time. And, mine are younger than yours by 3 months or so. I would recommend using that room. They'll get it. Another option is a highchair. Good luck. Either way, it will pass.
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 05-09-2009 at 08:43 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote