Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Sweetp
Registered Users

My Mood:
how to serge without serger?

I want to finish the seams on a dress I made, but I don't have a serger so right now they look like jagged cute material. How do you finish seams without a serger? Or can my sewing machine do it and I just don't know it? I have a Janome basic model? It does like 10 stitches, but nothing that says or looks like serging.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
frogger
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: how to serge without serger?

if your machine does a zig zag stitch you can do it.
hm check this link http://www.diapershop.com/index.php/...ewing_notions/
here's a better description http://sewing.about.com/library/grap.../aa021201a.htm

hth
Old 12-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
~Woollybottoms Mama~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think honestly the best way would be to turn it under and then under again, and just finish with a straight stitch, or possibly 2 lines of straight stitch. Does that make sense? I think that would look the most finished and you wouldn't have any ragged edges at all.
~Woollybottoms Mama~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
e-dub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my machine has an overcasting foot, which I like to call the "faux serge". It really looks pretty close, just not quite as tidy as a serged edge. I use it all the time to make wipes, mama pads, and today I used it for the hem on a costume.
e-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Woollybottoms Mama~ View Post
I think honestly the best way would be to turn it under and then under again, and just finish with a straight stitch, or possibly 2 lines of straight stitch. Does that make sense? I think that would look the most finished and you wouldn't have any ragged edges at all.
That;s what I do due to the lack of having a serger.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

When I was younger i remember my mom teaching me how to do "french seams" that is what she called them, of course she was french so maybe she just made that up..lol! Anyway, she would sew the seam verytiny with the wrong sides together, then turn it right sides together(like you normally do to sew) and sew the 5/8 inch seam, thereby enclosing the whole seam..for a neat finish inside..takes longer but does look neat...
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milniks7 View Post
When I was younger i remember my mom teaching me how to do "french seams" that is what she called them, of course she was french so maybe she just made that up..lol! Anyway, she would sew the seam verytiny with the wrong sides together, then turn it right sides together(like you normally do to sew) and sew the 5/8 inch seam, thereby enclosing the whole seam..for a neat finish inside..takes longer but does look neat...

that's how you make the seam on a pouch sling, btw. I've always heard it called a french feld seam, or flat-feld seam.

I'm not a big serged edge fan, I T&T everything! lol It takes longer I'm sure! Isn't the "fake" serge also called overlock stitch? Or is that something else?
Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote