Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Healthy Way For Your Kid To Gain Weight?

My stepson has been on meds for adhd for a little over a year. It decreased his appetite, and he was already skinny to begin with. He talks about how wimpy and scronny he is. Besides serving him Krispy Kremes every meal how can I get him to put on a few pounds? I've heard of wheat germ helping, but he's SUPER picky. Is that easy to conceal?

Advertisement

imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
senorajkids
Registered
seller
seller

Re: Healthy Way For Your Kid To Gain Weight?

If you find anything that works let me know. My DD#2 was the heaviest of all my children at 10.5 lbs When she was three months old she got RSV and dropped down to 8 lbs. She has never recovered weight wise. She will be 6 in August and she only weighs 34 lbs. Her brother is 2 and he weighs 31 lbs. They can share clothes as long as they aren't full length pants. She is also pretty tall. All she will eat are fruits and veggies and the occasional chicken nugget. I feel your pain mama. Have you tried any of the protein shakes? My mother sells Juice Plus vitamins and supplements. My whole family takes them and the Shake worked for a little while until she decided that she was tired of drinking them. Hope you find some help.
senorajkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Full-fat dairy products: milk, yogurt, cheese, butter
Nuts/nut butters
Avocados (I know, if he's picky, avos might not work, but maybe he'd go for guacamole and chips?)
Meat (even chicken nuggets and fish sticks are better than nothing)
Tofu (can marinate in savory or sweet sauces)
Eggs (our picky eater loves crepes for breakfast)
Smoothies (you could mix in some extra goodies, like protein powder or wheat germ or whatever)
Wheat germ is full of protein and iron. We stir it into our son's yogurt and oatmeal.

Good luck!!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

PP posted some great ideas!

How about fruit smoothies with added coconut oil or flax seed oil?

Granola, dried fruit with coconut, and nuts is a good high fat and callorie snack.

Add fats to anything you can,, but try to make it good fats like coconut oil, or olive oil. Safflower oil was recommended by DDs GI dr to help her gain weight.

We eat a ton of Hummus, and add extra EVOO.

Juts try to make everything he eats with the highest calorie and fat but make sure they are not "empty" calories or fats, and that there is a balance with protiens and fiber.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
senorajkids
Registered
seller
seller

OOHH yummy Hummus and Tabouleh!!!! I grew up in Saudi Arabia and those were a daily staple. I have to make my own now b/c I don't like the store brands. I have a good easy recipe for Baklava and Grape leaves too! Now I am hungry.
senorajkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
themummafamily
Registered Users

My Mood:

maybe if you tell us his favorite foods, we can tell you how to fatten those up!! Also remember high calorie foods help too.

a few suggestions:
cook with butter, or higher in cal. and fat, soybean oil
add cream to his milk or yogurt or smoothies
ranch dressing
peanut butter
give him extra cheese, and cheddar is very high in fat
carrot cake with crm cheese frosting is very high in calories and fat

here is a link:
http://www.ntwrks.com/chart2a.htm
themummafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Here's my problem: I'm trying to lose my last bit of baby weight, so I don't want to fatten up our meals too much! I already cook with butter, because I just like the way that tastes better. He loves chicken. I make a lot of chicken meals like chicken alfredo and chicken in cheesy rice. He likes chocolate milk, so I bought Carnation Instant Breakfast and he'll drink that with some of his meals. He doesn't like fruit smoothies. It sounds like I could put a lot of fattening things in those, but he won't drink them. I made steaks last night, and it was murder trying to get him to eat a piece larger than the one my 2 year old ate. He sits at the table crying saying we are forcing him to eat too much and he'll get sick. If I point out he eats less than is 2 year old brother, he says we're insulting him. I just feel bad, because he looks so skinny. He's only 55 lbs, and he's nearing 5 feet tall. The ped said it's nothing to be worried about, but what if he gets thinner?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

have you checked into food allergies?

Maybe a celiacs test?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

I don't think he's allergic to anything, he just feels full too fast. If you don't remind him, he'll skip a meal because he doesn't realize he's hungry. He's done that a few times with his mom. (That's another story...) It's like his brain tells him he's full when he's really not.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #10
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just commiserating with you mama...I have a 5YO that is like 45" tall and 35 pound and a 3YO that is 40" tall and 39 pounds. It's hard to put more calories in one without the other, and often the attempt to get it in the older kid only results in getting it in the younger one.

Does your kiddo like pudding? You can hide protein powder in there, make it with whole milk. Does he like peanut butter or nut butters? Those are higher in fat but have protein and other nutrients too. I've also made a point to try to make the foods she does like at least once a week. Like she will eat two platefuls of spaghetti, and eat at least a dozen asian dumplings in a sitting, while pick at normal meals. HTH, I know it's hard.