Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #61
TheNeverendingCloset
Registered Users
seller

Re: Who do I talk to about offensive ads on DS?

So funny that this is being discussed because I have tuned out the ads for the most part by now. But I scrolled up just now to see the ads and what's on the right hand side? An ad for sprint. The last thing I did last night before logging off was log into my sprint account. There is also a safeway ad, a university ad, and a baby product ad. Yesterday, I was looking at my local store ads, recently filled out a college grant application, and looked at car seats online yesterday. So? I think the ads may be related to what you type somehow. I didn't know that was possible but it seems to fit in my case. That doesn't mean people were looking up dating sites and such, you could have typed in Winter coat for Girls and it would notice the word "girls" and pull up any ad that may apply.

Advertisement

Last edited by TheNeverendingCloset; 05-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.
TheNeverendingCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #62
EcoGlo Minerals
Registered Users
Formerly: KT Naturals
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic4cloth View Post
wow i dont see it either but i agree not to have nasty stuff on there. but what about peoples images of nursing babies and or their clevage. No offense but thats the sad truth.
I'd rather not see DS members nursing their babies or DS members' cleavage in their avatars. I think BOTH of those things are not to be 'shared' with millions of strangers on the internet.

You think breastfeeding is beautiful? GREAT! Why do you feel the need to share it with my family and I?

I like to be able to browse through posts and show DH things and not pictures of breastfeeding DS women.

ETA: I have Blue Coat K9 Web Protection and see NO ads on anything. It's free and awesome!

Last edited by EcoGlo Minerals; 05-12-2009 at 10:06 AM.
EcoGlo Minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #63
mommabuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
Dude, download Ad Blocker Plus! I don't see any ads, ever, on DiaperSwappers, Failblog, or anything. http://adblockplus.org/en/
It is AWESOME!
mommabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #64
nm45832
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And here she is for those not lucky enough to see afternoon cleavage

niclupton.blogspot.com
nm45832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #65
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yea I have that one too and it's not just a still pic either. She motions and giggles and yada yada...Nasty
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #66
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is seeing this garbage! I just want to clarify that I am the only one on this computer so I KNOW my DH isn't looking at anything. It certainly wasn't anything I was searching for either. Thank you everyone for your support on this issue. I was never contacted by a moderator but hopefully they'll take care of this and post on this thread. I did download a flash blocker that will block all advertisements that use flash...which this one is. My DH is a computer programmer so he showed me how to download all these cool blockers.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #67
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat1205 View Post
The staff should be able to put it as a blocked ad so it doesn't show up. I know other sites with the same setup are able to do it.
I have sent this to the techs so they can remove it mama's. thanks for the screenshots!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #68
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I have sent this to the techs so they can remove it mama's. thanks for the screenshots!
I think we can all say a big thank you to the response. And just as I was thinking 'good thing I never saw that ad....' here she is again, as I go to reply to this screen!!

Ew... a sucker...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	true.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	28292  
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #69
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Smile Because Of Them View Post
I really doubt it's something that her or her DH are googling. It's been said that the ads on DS are generated by what's talked about. Which is why they ask us to censor certain words such as b00bs or pen!s and so on.
Actually it is a combination of both. They are generated from the cookies on your own computer (general "your", not picking on you specifically), which yes, will include DS, but it is also from other sites and searches anyone using that particular computer has done. So if someone is visiting some "unsavory" internet sites, then ads on DS are going to reflect that. The admins on DS can block certain ads from coming through, but only after the fact when someone points out that they show up.

Here:

Quote:
What information does Google use to serve me ads?

We serve ads on our own websites through our AdWords program, as well as using AdSense technology on certain services. We also serve ads on partner websites through our AdSense program. We use a variety of methods to deliver ads that are relevant.

For our AdWords program, we serve ads based on the subject matter of your search. For example, if you search for “golf” on our search engine, you’ll see golf-related ads. We also make ads geographically relevant, which we do with the help of IP addresses. If you’re in Boston searching for cab companies, you probably want ads for Boston-based, not London-based cabs.

For our AdSense program, we serve ads based on the content of the site you view. For example, if you visit a gardening site, ads on that site may be related to gardening. In addition, we may serve ads based on your interests. As you browse websites that have partnered with us or Google sites using the DoubleClick cookie, such as YouTube, Google may place the DoubleClick cookie in your browser to understand the types of pages visited or content that you viewed. Based on this information, Google associates your browser with relevant interest categories and uses these categories to show interest-based ads. For example, if you frequently visit travel websites, Google may show more ads related to travel.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #70
brandylynn01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Smile Because Of Them View Post
I really doubt it's something that her or her DH are googling. It's been said that the ads on DS are generated by what's talked about. Which is why they ask us to censor certain words such as b00bs or pen!s and so on.
this is how ads work..not by what you search for
(my dh is IT) \\btw...i saw the ad too as soon as i turned my adblock off

and.;....this is MY laptop

sorry...nak