Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #11
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-vaxing ??'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique View Post
Okay mama's... I had a talk with DH and told him that right now I am NOT comfortable putting any more vax's into our girls. (they have had everything the pedi recommended up to their 6 mo WBV) I explained to him (thank you mama's for this nugget of gold) that if we change our mind later we can vax them then, but once that vax is in we can't UNVAX them. He understood where I was coming from.

SO... my questions:

1. If any of you were on WIC how did you deal with them? I know (in California) they required me to bring the vax records twice a year. I don't know if Kentucky is the same way, but will we be booted off WIC for non-vaxing??

2. How on EARTH do I deal with the doctor? This is in a military treatment facility BTW. I'm scared they will try to bully me, and that they will try to make me sign a refusal form that basically is self-incrimination of abuse and neglect.

3. How do I deal with our families (should they find out, and believe me, they are all nosey!!!!)?? I know my mom and I have been talking about it a lot and I think she'll understand that I am not comfortable with it right now. But the IL's will probably be a pain. Any words of wisdom??

4. Anything else I should be prepared for????

Thanks mama's, a lot of you have posted links that I have seen in the last few months since I joined that helped me to come to this decision.
Your best bet would be to go to the forums at www.mothering.com and visit the vaccination board. You'll get great advice about your questions and will be able to get some good info to help you further research your decision.

About WIC, I know they can't deny you that because of vax status.

Family, don't ask, don't tell - but really, you're the parent, it's your decision. End of story.

Dr - prepare ahead of time for what you're going to say, and just repeat it over and over. If it's just "no thanks, not today" then leave it at that. Don't get into a discussion with him or he will try scare tactics and try to pressure you into just doing 1 or 2 vaxes. And if you don't need to go, then don't... the wbv are mainly there for the purpose of vaxing. Some dr.'s will fire you if you refuse to vax, but family doc's are often more open about it.

And I wouldn't sign that form the doc's office has... you can get more info about that at mothering.com though... I don't have a lot of details because I'm in Canada and we don't have the same laws here, but I know there's a lot of controversy about signing the form... one approach is to bring in your own form that you've made up saying that they guarantee your child will have no short term or long term reactions or ill effects as the result of any vaccination given. No dr. will sign the form and that usually ends it right there - at least I've never heard of a dr. that would sign the form.

Advertisement

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 AM   #12
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
one approach is to bring in your own form that you've made up saying that they guarantee your child will have no short term or long term reactions or ill effects as the result of any vaccination given. No dr. will sign the form and that usually ends it right there - at least I've never heard of a dr. that would sign the form.
that's a new one I have not heard... too funny.

To the OP - One thing that pretty much every one else said, but covers all your questions pretty much is they are your kids. period.

Good luck!!!

ETA _ re: the family... They can say everything they want to say and tell you all sorts of things and nag and nag - but again, as I said above. They are your kids and when you go to the doc... you're the only one there! you get to decide...
also I wanted to add, the more research and studying you do - the better equipped you are to inform them... IF it comes to that. They can only argue with you if you argue back.. KWIM

Last edited by moonphishers; 12-18-2006 at 11:14 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our doctor was amazing! We're on a military base too.

I was so worried that we would be read the riot act and OMG Don't we know what risks we're taking by not vax'ing, I avoided going for over a year (after his 6 month vax), but then needed to get his DPTP booster (I am delaying the MMR and we're not doing the "optional" vaccines - varicella, pneumonia, meningitis, etc).

He didn't bat an eyelash when we took him in and said that we're just doing the DPTP, the MMR will be in about a year. Said okie dokie - take him downstairs and the nurse will be right with ya... easy peasy!

Mind you, he also asked about homo milk and I said nope, he's still nursing but when he does have milk, it's soy. He went, "eh? You're still nursing, that's awesome!"

Old 12-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only one I can answer from experience is this:

Quote:
3. How do I deal with our families (should they find out, and believe me, they are all nosey!!!!)?? I know my mom and I have been talking about it a lot and I think she'll understand that I am not comfortable with it right now. But the IL's will probably be a pain. Any words of wisdom??
We just don't discuss it. Conversations re: vax stopped shortly before we made the move to a holistic ped. My MIL has a friend who's a LC--whom she relies on for all her info. The LC told her it's fine to drink while BFing because 'the book has a filter that eliminates the alcohol content from getting to the baby' (no joke.) MIL believed it since LC is a nurse, so I had to quote books and articles stating that in fact babies end up w/ a higher alcohol blood level than the mother. (Seems she'll believe it if it's from a professional...) Anyway, I remember her asking us constantly if we were going to start vaxing and saying 'Well, are you at least going to do the Pertussis? LC says it's VERY important!' Then every time after, when I'd say we hadn't done it yet, she'd make this 'ssssss' noise (like drawing in your breath thru your teeth when you get a paper cut or stub your toe). It annoyed the hell out of me--ESPECIALLY because she only knew what LC told her and I'd read 3 books on the subject and consulted w/ doctors. After that, no more. When she asks how her WBV goes, I tell her R's weight, height and that's it. There's no point in debating w/ uneducated people and it just annoys you more than anything.
FWIW, our friends (those who asked) know we're doing selective/delayed vax and could care less.