Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Anyone Dealing With Acid Reflux?

My first had reflux, but when we put him on Zantac everything was ok. He was off the meds by 4 months, and never had a problem again. Baby #2 has it, too, but it's out of control. Zantac did nothing, and now he's on Prevacid, which isn't doing anything either. When he was a couple weeks old, we found out he has a milk allergy. (Blood in stool.) He's been drinking Alimentum, which cleared that up. But the reflux is still going strong. He still gurgles and then fusses, and squirms sometimes while he's being fed. When he spits up, it's either crazy Exorcist projectile vomit, or it comes out his nose and he gets choked. I feel horrible, because I am so helpless. I see him suffer, and I can't do anything about it.

Advertisement

imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Dealing With Acid Reflux?

I'm so sorry mama! DS2 had horrible reflux and was actually losing weight because he couldn't keep anything down. He was on a crazy high dose of Prevacid and that helped a bit, he would keep more down so he could gain weight but it didn't stop the spitting up 100%. I don't think anything stops the spitting up until they outgrow it. DS is 14 months old and spit up until he was a good 11 or 12 months. He still does occasionally. Most of the time now, I just hear him reflux and he swallows it now that he's older.

My suggestions would be to do smaller, more frequent feedings and keep him elevated at night and during feedings. Sorry I don't have more to offer. It's the worst feeling when there isn't much you can do for your kids. Also, take him back to the dr. if you don't see any improvement. See if they can adjust the dosage. Reflux meds are very weight sensitive so they can outgrow and dosage after a growth spurt. Also, you say he's projectile vomiting. Is that often? Have they ruled out pyloric stenosis?

Good luck mama! I hope your little guy starts feeling better!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you!!! DS is had a perpetually stuffy nose because of his spitting up, I was changing my shirts 7 xs a day because they were soaked! It was awful! Now he's 10 1/2 months old and on Zantac, and Enfamil AR. I am back at the peds every month for a weight check and for them to tell me, yes, he's weighted out of the meds... up the dose to 1.7 or 1.8 or now we're on 1.9 3Xs a day! I can always tell when it's necessary because the symptoms are back as if he'd never started the meds.

One thing my ped mentioned a few months ago is that there are meds that will also help to push the food through the stomache so that there isn't anything there to throw up.... or at least not nearly as much. One he mentioned was erythromiacin... I thought it was strange, but maybe something like that would help you. It's worth questioning your pediatrician.

Also, DS has slept on his belly since birth, it's been the only way for him to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time. Now that he's older he sometimes rolls to his back, but belly sleeping has really helped in the reflux dept. I tried elevating his bed and he hated it...
1sttimemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

I feel for you! My 6 month old has terrible reflux as well as a dairy/soy allergy. He is on zantac twice a day and prevacid once a day. He still pukes all the time but he is now a happy spitter instead of it making him be in pain. it took a long time to get the dosages right. Sorry mama, I hope your LO gets better soon!
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
finn's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

What you described is exactly our experience with DS. We invested in a bouncer, he slept there, or in the swing until he was around 8 months old.
We fed him smaller amounts. 2 ounces at a time during the day, 4-5 ounces before bed. We also switched to Playtex drop ins. If you can find BPA free Playtex Avance (Vent-Aire) those were awesome until the whole BPA thing.
Stock up on lots of receiving blankets. During the peak of his puking we used 20-30 a day, for cleaning everything up.
And mama, you may feel helpless, but if you are there to clean him up, and cuddle him after an episode you are doing all you can.
Mama.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:

DS2 has MAJOR acid reflux, we finally have it tolorable w/2 hazelwood necklaces, an anklet, prevacid twice daily and drinking only 2-4ozs per feeding, we also had to switch from allumentium to nutramigen, and now neocate, he also sleeps in carseat or bouncer and after eating he stays totally upright for about 45mins. I pop him in a carrier or the carseat. Since then, he only vomits occasionally. HTH
Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
3Daisies
Registered Users

How long has he been taking the Prevacid?

Even though I saw immediate results, it wasn't until 4-5weeks in that nearly all symptoms of reflux stopped (our dd is on 7.5mg solutab).

They'll still do the projectile spitting, even when medicated, the burn is just no longer there.

Hang in there. We had been going through nightly meltdowns and I was nearing my wits end, but we have just gone though a 10 day (and counting) stint with only 2 meltdowns. It has been wonderful!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

He's been on the Prevacid for almost 2 weeks now. One week was 1/2 solutab a day, and now it's 1/2 solutab 2x a day. The projectile vomiting is not every day. It just sneaks up on us now and again. It always comes out his nose when he spits up, though.
It seems like when I put him in his swing or bouncy seat that he spits up more than if I was just cradling him. I don't know why. At night I've been propping him up on his side, because I'm so scared he'll start choking and I won't hear him.
He's scheduled for his 2 month appt in 2 weeks, so I thought I'd wait out the Prevacid until we go. (Unless something happens for me to need to go sooner.)
Yesterday was great, minimal spitting, and not much reflux, but then this morning it was bad again. I keep getting my hopes up. I guess we'll see...
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the replies yet but when my middle son had reflux problems and after we tried a few medicines to help him out we just ended up switching to formula. The regular formula didn't work and neither did the soy. On a whim I bought some lactose (Similac Sensitive) and it was like night and day. Funy thing is...he doesn't have a single milk allergy and actually drinks two percent milk constantly without any problems!

I hope you find something that works. We are getting ready to try the Prevacid solutabs with our six month old who has silent reflux.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
jessamomof4
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think my newborn may have reflux (she has been really cranky and was spitting up constantly almost, most of the time being projectile nto just dribbling out)... She was alsos VERY gassy, from both ends... we got her some Gripe water yesterday and the projectile vomiting has ceased, the fussiness is gone, and the burping/farting seems to be under control already... one of the ingredients is Sodium Bicarbonate, which is just Baking Soda, which is a really good antacid, might be worth a shot for you
Money Saving Mainers - I'm learning to save and sharing what I learn.
jessamomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote