Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Jeb-O
Registered Users

Did you test your twins?

How do you know if your twins are identical or fraternal. Did you test DNA samples? Just curious.

Advertisement

Jeb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you test your twins?

Mine are IVF, boy/girl, so it's obviously frats. But, if they were same gender and looked alike, I would totally pay to have them tested. I couldn't take the mystery. I just met a girl who is a twin. She and her sister look alike. They don't know if they are frat or ID. That would drive me insane. When someone asked me why, I said, "I don't know. I would just HAVE TO know."

ETA-I don't like surprises either and if I had to wait till birth to find out the gender, I think I would lose my mind.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 05-11-2009 at 02:31 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Jeb-O
Registered Users

I didn't have my twins tested, but they look totally different. We assume they are fraternal so the DNA test seems like a waste of money. However, if they looked the least bit similar.. I'd be testing asap! I totally agree with needing to know!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
IheartMy3
Registered Users

My Mood:

We knew soon after finding out we were having twins, because they shared a placenta. Now that they're here, it is very obvious that they're identical
IheartMy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My guys had separate sacs and placentas so we assumed the were fraternal until they were born. They looked similar, but totally different from their older brother so we decided to get the test done. They are identical...now of course everyone laughs at us for getting the test done, but I think that it is much easier for the parents to see the differences in identical twins and not think they look alike.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
icebunny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our girls look completely different, so we never tested them. They're definitely fraternal!
icebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
Jeb-O
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MonkeysMomma View Post
My guys had separate sacs and placentas so we assumed the were fraternal until they were born. They looked similar, but totally different from their older brother so we decided to get the test done. They are identical...now of course everyone laughs at us for getting the test done, but I think that it is much easier for the parents to see the differences in identical twins and not think they look alike.
The sacs and placentas don't really matter do they!!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-O View Post
The sacs and placentas don't really matter do they!!
Nope! And our OB kept stressing that there was only a " very small chance" that they were identical (even though we had very few factors). After they were born, I did some more research and found out it is more like 1:3!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
LSUtwinMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

The hospital tested my girls at birth to see if they were identical, and yep- they are. They were also separate sacs, separate placentas and my OB kept telling me all along that there was only a small chance they were identical (ofc we also thought Baby B might be a boy because she would never show off "the goods" during U/S)
LSUtwinMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Jeb-O
Registered Users

It is crazy how many people don't truly know if their twins are identical or fraternal. They just go by what their doctors say and a lot of times the doctor is incorrect!