Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tortilla press? Anybody have one?

So I've tried my hand at tortilla-making recently, both flour and corn, but my problem lies in not being able to roll the tortillas into pretty circles. Sometimes the edges crack and get weird, and the thickness isn't always uniform. Tasty, but unattractive.

I thought about getting a tortilla press, does anyone know anything about them? Would this take care of my uneven tortilla issues? I love homemade tortillas, I want them to work better!

Advertisement

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
bezmommy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tortilla press? Anybody have one?

I have one that I bought at a flea market but mine still aren't beautiful. I did pretty well with the corn tortillas, though I couldn't get them real thin because they would stick to the press. The flour ones kind of shrink back up when I lift the press open, so I'm thinking maybe I overwork the dough? They're tasty, just thick. I think a rolling pin would work as well.
bezmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

I have one, too. I have the same problem as the PP: can't get the tortillas super thin like mass-produced ones. But, I can generally make them fairly round and uniform in thickness. I press the tortilla dough between two pieces of wax paper, so it doesn't stick. Also, if you can get your hands on amaranth flour, it makes THE BEST tortillas!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Domino Pads
Registered Users
seller

I have one too and also use something else to make them not stick (otherwise there's no way to peel them off in one piece)

Domino Pads - We are the TOP RATED Cloth Pad on The Diaperpin
Handdyed or Natural - Petite, Regular & Plus Size - use Coupon DSCode for 5% OFF
Domino Pads -The Perfect Pad for Your Period, Pregnancy & Postpartum
Domino Pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

I don't have one, but I have found that with practice and experimentation it is possible to get mostly round and thin tortillas My first batch was nothing but a bunch of ragged-edged, squarish,thick, flatbread-type tortillas. The more I made them, the better they got! Now I can get about 90% of them round and pretty darn thin
Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been making Tortillas for YEARS both corn and Flour. The Press is for the Corn ones and to make a NICE flour one it just takes practice. this is a bit more Spendy but What I ended up doing is getting a Paster Roller and putting my Tortilla Dough through that, till its ALMOST perfect thickness then but a little thick still and then use a Biscuit cutter for nice circles and Roll em out as Large as you like. Now if your going for Perfect pretty tortillas I say Go buy some, I think Rustic home made is PERFECT shows you did some Work.

As far as the Cracking edges in your corn tortillas, add more Liquid My tried and true recipe for Corn tortilla hasn't changed in all the years I been making it.

2C Masa Harina
1 1/4 C Warm water
2Tsp Salt
1/8C Fat Melted (any kind you like I use Manteca)

Mix it all in a bowl with a Fork until almost combined then Use your hands to Scoop out the Masa, and Form it into a ball and leave it alone for 5 Minutes so the Masa has time to absorb all the moisture. Hope it helps
Old 05-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLuvinMama View Post
I have been making Tortillas for YEARS both corn and Flour. The Press is for the Corn ones and to make a NICE flour one it just takes practice. this is a bit more Spendy but What I ended up doing is getting a Paster Roller and putting my Tortilla Dough through that, till its ALMOST perfect thickness then but a little thick still and then use a Biscuit cutter for nice circles and Roll em out as Large as you like. Now if your going for Perfect pretty tortillas I say Go buy some, I think Rustic home made is PERFECT shows you did some Work.

As far as the Cracking edges in your corn tortillas, add more Liquid My tried and true recipe for Corn tortilla hasn't changed in all the years I been making it.

2C Masa Harina
1 1/4 C Warm water
2Tsp Salt
1/8C Fat Melted (any kind you like I use Manteca)

Mix it all in a bowl with a Fork until almost combined then Use your hands to Scoop out the Masa, and Form it into a ball and leave it alone for 5 Minutes so the Masa has time to absorb all the moisture. Hope it helps

I used the same recipe minus the fat...maybe that's the key! My flour tortillas were turning out okay by the end of the batch, but the corn was really tricky. They weren't "wrappable", weird shapes and cracking, so I didn't use them to make enchiladas like I planned, it was more like an enchilada casserole. They were really tasty, though!

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you deff need to let your Dough "SET UP" and have time to Absorb the liquid into the masa or you end up with Dry and almost Mealy tortillas,
the Fat is NOT required, but my Best friends MIL taught me how to make them traditionally from Mexico and her reason for putting the fat in has to do with the Moisture, and stability, it holds up better in the fridge and when you Re-warm they don't tend to crack.
Give it a try and if it works GREAT if you still have those issues then maybe you could try switching to a Different BRAND of Masa.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also have a press...I usually only make corn tortillas though, with the maseca as pp said. I actually do it three different ways.

For thin tortillas, I use the press. I use two sheets of plastic wrap to keep the tortilla from sticking.

For thicker (salvadorenan style) I have learned to hand mold, which is hard. My DH's sister taught me how. basically, you roll the masa into a ball (slightly bigger than for a thin tortilla) and you pinch it bewteen your thumb and fingers, going all the way around, so eventually it turns into a flat disc. Then you "patty cake" it between your hands to get it thinner.

My other option (way faster and easier) for the thick tortillas is using plates I take one large plate, cover in plastic, then put the ball on. I then stick the second plastic over the ball of dough, and take a smaller plate with a lip at the bottom and smash it. The lip forms a round, thick tortilla. So I guess its a press for thick ones. I imagine the same thing could be done for thin ones if you can find a plate with a small enough lip.

I hope this makes sense, cuz Im at work and I have to type quickly so as to not be caught on DS when I should be working
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a press i use for corn tortillas. i use wax paper to keep them from sticking. my grandmother is from mexico and thats how she has always done them(that i can remember)
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote