View Poll Results: At what age do/did you REALLY start letting kiddos watch tv?
0-6 mos 16 15.24%
6-12 mos 18 17.14%
1-2 years 42 40.00%
2 years or older 23 21.90%
other 6 5.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
KV Boo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Television?

I put my 4 month old almost everyday for 15 min's in her chair in front of the tv to watch baby first tv channel. It's the only thing that keeps her occupied so i can do the dishes etc... she talks and smiles at it so i don't see the harm.

Advertisement

Mommy to Tatiana 12 years old
Stacy 10 years old and Gabriella born August 3, 2006 My little baby girl!!
KV Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We gave our tv to goodwill when we found out I was pregnant. Good riddance.
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmavis View Post
We gave our tv to goodwill when we found out I was pregnant. Good riddance.
OMG I wish DH would allow that! Ha, yeah right. Then he couldn't play Xbox. *sighs*
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I NEVER thought I would let my ds watch TV at 1. But I went back to teaching full time when he was about 8 mos and I had a lot of trouble getting ready for work in the AM and cleaning out the lunchboxes, rinsing diapers, making dinner and getting ready for the next day in the PM- because he wanted to be held all the time! I actually struggled with it for a full 4 months before I tried the Baby Einstein video someone gave us at my baby shower. He loved it. It wasn't an everyday thing, just for those moments when I had to get something done and needed two hands to do it.

Now he is 19 months old and OBSESSED with his "yo's" as he calls videos. He only watches a couple different Baby Einsteins and a couple of Sesame Street music videos (which he dances and sings along with.) I limit him to one in the AM and one in the PM and only 20-30 minutes max (and only if he asks.) I don't like that he asks ALL the time for "yo" and I have to say no A LOT. But I know he plays and interacts with other kids all day M-F at his home day care. And I know I play and draw and read with him, too. So I am not too worried.

And I am not ready to cut him off because some nights it is the only way I can make dinner or take a shower (his daddy works late a lot.) And he actually interacts with the video the whole time- he repeats the words that the narrator says on the BE videos and he names all of the animals he sees as it is playing. He loves the little puppet skits and makes comments on those like "dirty pigs!" LOL. And like I said he dances and sings with the SS videos.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
hlkeroppi
Registered Users
seller

why do some people find the TV so bad yet they will sit on the computer all day? I believe if in moderation and not used just to babysit, more power to ya!
I know some pretty smart and healthy people and they all enjoy TV from time to time.

hlkeroppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
davechan2003
Registered Users
seller

DS watched the odd baby einstein video in his first year. When I got pg with dd I was very sick, very tired, and the tv watching started then, about 14 months. He watches either treehouse or kid's CBC. We will often watch an hour or so in the morning and sometimes a show in the pm when I'm trying to get supper ready. He has just started, at 2.5 to actually sit and watch an entire program, before he would play and watch at the same time. So for dd now, it's on, but she doesn't often watch unless something catches her eye, or she'll start dancing to music.

Once dh comes home, the tv is constantly on and I sometimes have issues with his lack of discretion, but that starts an entire other thread!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #17
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sofia loves any show with lots of singing & dancing because she dances along (exercise is great!!). We dont plop her down in front of the TV but she will watch "her" shows (we only allow her to watch PBS Sprout, Noggin or NickJR. & the "big kids" can only watch them when she is awake too,LOL). She isnt even 2 yet but can count to 11 & knows her ABCs so I dont think its "harmed" her at all....YET!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #18
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

my kids watch tv alot, i don't see anything wrong with it, at least what mine watch helps vocabulary, teaches and helps me out when i'm teaching them. they both can go a day w/o the tv on and have no problems but i myself watch alot of tv and i'm fine and my kids watch what i do and i don't see anythign wrong with it
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #19
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read some interesting studies about TV under the age of 3, and it scared the crap out of me. So we didn't even turn the TV on at all during DD's waking hours for the longest time... that is until at 16 months of age she decided to stay up until 9:30PM or so every night. I was okay with no TV for us entirely until 7:30PM, but there are a few shows DH and I watch and so we gave in ... a little. It now happens a few nights a week that the TV will be on in the background for DD, but she usually doesn't actually watch (though she likes Wheel of Fortune, LOL!).

I do agree with everything in moderation. I really hope that I'm not causing any permanent damage by allowing the TV now on occasion, but as it is we scaled back to Basic TV because of not having the TV on 90% of the time. I couldn't give it up entirely myself and so, she's now exposed to it.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #20
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
my kids watch tv alot, i don't see anything wrong with it, at least what mine watch helps vocabulary, teaches and helps me out when i'm teaching them. they both can go a day w/o the tv on and have no problems but i myself watch alot of tv and i'm fine and my kids watch what i do and i don't see anythign wrong with it

Same here. DD loves any show that she can dance and sing along with. Her favorite currently is Noodlebug, and Barney Sometimes in the evening we will sit together and watch Finding Nemo. Just to wind down, and I get tons of snuggles. Then it's off to bed, book, and night-night.
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote