2 42 24.14%
2.5 27 15.52%
3 30 17.24%
3.5 11 6.32%
4 24 13.79%
4.5 7 4.02%
5 15 8.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:
S/O- At what age did you retain your first memories?

I was wondering how old everyone was when you 'made' your first memory?

I've always read in books that no one retains conscious memories before age 3, unless very traumatic. But on the nudity thread, I saw some people mentioning memories earlier than that.

I'm really concerned that I need to start watching myself more now that my daughter is getting older....from embarrassing things like seeing us naked or using the BR, to even silly things like having a messy house...this sounds silly, but I don't want her remembering a messy house, ya know? Or even things like losing my temper and yelling at her....I need to kick that bad habit for good because I don't want her to remember that either

Anyway, answer the poll and share if you like!

Advertisement

~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
curlie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O- At what age did you retain your first memories?

I remember something that I later found out happened when I was about 18 months.
curlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One and a half for me. I was born at the end of Nov '82 and a cousin of mine in beg of April '84. I remember being on my grandma's dining room and my mom asked me if I wanted to see the baby. I must've said yes, because she bent down (she seemed extremely tall to me because it took her forever to bend down). I remember seeing this ugly black speck on a white blanket. Out of all my cousins on my mother's side, she is the darkest (only my mom and her dad dared "mate" with dark skinned people in her family's side).
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I broke my thumb when I was 2 and I remember it very well. I started remembering regular daily events at about age 3. My dh, on the other hand, barely remembers anything before he turned 5, and even then his memory is pretty sketchy. I always thought that was odd since he is way smarter than I am. Maybe my head is so cluttered up with stupid things, like my mom in her yellow slacks and big 70's hair that I can't remember things that are important, like where my cell phone is
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First...there is no "other" option!! There is ALWAYS an other. OK...so, what you've read is BS. I have a single memory from about 6 months old..and my consious memories start at 18 months. My ealriest memory has been following me as long as I can remember. I finally asked my mom about it one day, and her jaw hit the table. She told me I was about 6 months old or younger...here's my memory...
The first home we ever lived in was in Coon Rapids, MN. It's this tiny little itty bitty home, with 2 micro rooms. My room was so small, that my mom put my crib in the closet (something I never knew until I brought this memory up to my mom) so there would be room for my dresser and toy box. My memory goes like this...I woke up, and noticed that I had leaked out of my (cloth) diaper. I was soaked, my mattress was soaked, and I was cold. I looked around, and noticed the clothes hanging above my head. I could see into my room, and nobody was in there with me. I thought to myself, NO JOKE, "what do I need to do to get somebody's attention?" I thought..."maybe if I cry"...and I began wailing. Within an indescript amount of time, it was quick, my mom's boyfriend walked into the room and picked me up. Uhm...he was totally nude too...and I remember exactly what his body looked like....but not his face. That's the end of my memory. When I told my mom the story, she told me that time frame in which that was, based on my description of her boyfriend...and that my crib was in the closet.
I know this sounds far fetched...but it's the honest to goodness truth.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember getting tubes at 13 months. Not vividly, but I remember 2 people in white taking me away from my mom and back into a room. I don't remember being unhappy, just wondering why my mom wasn't there.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
schmoopee
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first memories are about the time I turned two. I can remember dreams I had when I was two, as well.
schmoopee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i was two and for the longest time i thought it was just a dream.
I was sitting on a white covered porch in a white linen dress coloring at a table.
It was very southern.

I told this to my mom the other day; and she was like, WOW! You were two and you used to be watched by a grandmother that you called, mama cook. We lived in South Carolina in a colonial house.

I asked what was up with the name; and she said that is what i just called her, because she was like a second mom to me and she always cooked cookies and cakes.

I LOVE that memory, because it is so peaceful and calming to me still.

Last edited by eragsdale; 05-11-2009 at 10:44 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have multiple memories from around age 2. 3 stand out in particular and I know that I was 2 or younger because all of them were before my parents got divoced and they got divorced a few months before I turned 3. The events I remember were kinda traumatic though (two were me majorly injuring myself:busting my lips open and cutting off the end of my thumb and the other was my parents pretty much beating the crap out of each other) so that could be why I remember them so well, but one of them I remember the entire night and very vividly. My DH says that I'm crazy, but obviously if my parents were still together that's the age I was.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't remember anything before kindergarten. I have a bad memeory, though.. I never thought it was odd until now.
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote