Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
mommyfrog
Registered Users

receiving blanket to diaper instructions w/pics

I had a request for this so I though I'd just post it here in case anyone else wants to see. This is just a regular flannel receiving blanket measuring about 24x26 or so. It doesn't really matter if it's bigger or smaller. Start by folding in in half, right sides together(not like me!!), so that it is about 24x13. To get a longer rise you'll have to find bigger blankets, but this one fits my 22 pound 30 inch baby just fine, but I do prefer a lower rise. Go in about 2 inches on one side and cut down towards the middle, making the crotch width about 6-7 inches and stop half way down the diaper. (You may want to draw this first.) Fold the blanket down the middle and cut the other side to be the same.

Cut a little piece off each top corner. This will ensure the folded part won't stick out of the back of the diaper.

Now sew the diaper all around. I didn't sew along the folded part, so it doesn't take away from the rise at all. Leave an opening in the front to turn the diaper right side out.

Turn and topstitch around the whole diaper.

Fold each side twice to be about the same width as the crotch.

Put it on your baby. This is on my 22 pound, 30 inch, 12 month old ds.

I did the same with Gerber flats and they turned out with a much longer rise but I just fold it down at the back and front and it works great.

Any questions, ask away!!

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: receiving blanket to diaper instructions w/pics

thanks so much for posting this! i sent the link to my mama, who will be sewing the dipes for our new LO's. ::

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
mismaggie
Banned

My Mood:

THat's awesome!! I have a TON of receiving blankets that I don't use, they would be so cute wrapped around my sons bottom
mismaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awesome!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
sassylilmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

LOVE it! I have been folding my receiving blankets but I am going to see if I like this better.
sassylilmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

i like it! looks like the qsfw (quick snap flap wrap) but w/ more material to fold down the center panel. iha a load of gerber flats that need this treatment!!!! thanks mama! can't wait to try it!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Thanks to you!! When I did the Gerber flats, I didn't fold them over, I used two, putting one on top of the other. You could trim off to the correct rise or just fold them like I did and they'll last longer. Also they seem to have a little stratch, so I actually took a little more off that back corner after the first one. I found that the flap corner stuck out the back if I didn't.

I was folding receiving blankets too, but this takes like ten minutes to make and is easier for me to put on a squirmy baby, with ten layers in the wetzone. They wash easier and they dry really fast too. I'm having issues with my old ancient washer right now, so even though I really love my fitteds, until I get a new washer, they'll sit on the shelf. Four more blankets came through the wash, so I'm off to sacrafice them to the diaper gods!! Oh wait, my diaper circle!! Three from a sheet, one receiving blanket and the rest Gerber flats.

That one with the longer tabs was one of the first ones and I put elastic. Not worth the trouble for me.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 05-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
jessicalee
Registered Users
seller

thanks for the great tut and pics!
i have a stack of receiving blankets just waiting to be loved again.
jessicalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
sillygirl
Banned

My Mood:

Great tute. I am digging out my sons receiving blankets now!!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks for the tutorial is there anyway you could put just the instructions in a pic the pics were really big and i got lost scrolling side to side thankyou for taking the time to do this.
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote