Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
help me I'm gonna cry

we had a horrible night last night with breast feeding. It was excruciatingly painful for me, I checked and checked and I'm sure I had her latched properly but it still hurt like crazy. She also again would only nurse for about half an hour the first time so we ended up supplimenting with formula both night feedings cause she wouldn't take enough breast milk in. I really want to BF this one, I"m not against buying a pump if it'll help, but I'd really like not to. Any tips on this? she was really alert for the last feeding but she just couldn't seem to get on to the nipple properly. I have a PP nurse coming in a couple of hours to see us so hopefully she can help, but I'm so upset over giving her formula, but I didn't want her to be hungry.

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: help me I'm gonna cry

sorry you had a hard night. i'm definitely not an expert but what do you mean when you say she wasn't taking enough in?

i remember when i was getting started with DD i was just riddled with anxiety about whether or not she was eating enough, doing ok, etc. unless you have a particular reason to believe that she's not getting enough then she most likely is. i found it helpful and reassuring for me to see a lactation consultant. not b/c we were really having problems but b/c she was able to help me be less anxious.

like i said, i don't really know any specifics about your situation or what caused you to have trouble nursing in the past so what i'm saying may be way off. but supply is very important in the beginning as your body is learning to regulate itself and supplementing with formula doesn't give your body the feedback it needs to know to produce more milk, etc. only nursing more will do that.

i hope the nurse is able to help you out. www.kellymom.com is also a wonderful resource for breastfeeding. get support from somewhere - a lactation consultant, LLL, etc. it really can be tough at first and having knowledgeable support is SOOOOO important.

katie
Old 05-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too remeber those days, I did cry! The pump might be a good idea just to aid in increasing your milk supply. Or maybe even massaging your breast to stimulate milk production.

My only encouragement is to give it time. It was until the 6 week mark that I really felt a true comfort, dd began to latch on without my help. Remember, this is new to both of you, it will take time to get the hang of it. It will get better and when it does it is amazingly better and well worth the struggle. Good luck!
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been there with the pain thing. What helped me was to see a lactation consultant. She checked my dd's latch and said that everything was fine. She gave me a silicone nipple shield, too. You're not supposed to use them long-term, but I used it for a couple of weeks just until my milk started flowing and the baby wasn't sucking so vigourously. It really helped the pain to go away.
ALso, I was freaked out in the beginning bc I though dd had to nurse for 10 min on each side. I thought she wasn't getting enough when she didn't spend that amoiunt of time. Every baby is different. If your baby is still making the required amt. of wet and poopy diapers per day and seemsstatisfied, then everything is probably ok.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

I cried until I reach the 4 week mark. The pain was terrible, but now at 8 months old I am so glad I did not give up. I had to see a lactation consultant and I also had to use a nipple sheild for about 4 weeks. It was hard at that point to break her from the shield but it did help her to learn how to latch on and how to suck for the milk.

About the whole only nursing for 30 mintues, there is not time limit on how long they need to nurse. Your baby knows how much to eat. My dd nursed 5 mintues per side, and after 10 minutes we were done. She did this when she was a newborn and still does it. She is a big healthy girl....if I had listened to the doctors she would have been getting formula, but I didnt I listned to my dd. As long as she having enough wet diapers I would not worry about how long she nurses. I was not going to supplement formula b/c that also helps to the latching on problem. The baby is getting nipple confusion b/c nipples and bottle nipples are two totally different things with 2 totally different shapes.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh hon, take a breath. Know that you are going through lots of postpartum hormones and changes and your body is trying to figure itself out on top of you trying to learn nursing.

I too hurt for the first 6-8 weeks. I would literally go "ow ow ow" until he had been sucking for a few minutes and I could relax. After all, you're not used to someone sucking on your breast that much in one day . Also, your milk supply may be lower at night so she may be wanting to nurse more because she isn't getting as much. If you keep up nursing often, then your milk supply will adjust and she will soon be able to pull lots out. She is learning to latch on and nurse too so just take your time getting to know each other.

Don't knock yourself for giving her formula either. I too wanted so badly to exclusively breast feed but my son wasn't gaining any weight so I ended up formula feeding to boost his caloric intake until we learned a proper latch. boy am I glad I stuck to it. That boy loved to nurse!

Another thing that's awesome? Soothies. They're these little gel discs that are nice and cool that you put over your nipples...ahhh such sweet relief. They were awesome!

mama! Know that we've been there and are here to support you.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

we supplimented formula cause the nurses at the hospital were saying that she isn't feeding long enough and needed more cause she was loosing too much weight. She did take in 2 oz of formula right after breast feeding though. I just did another feed a few minutes ago (well just ended a few minutes ago, she went for 30 min) and it went a lot better still hurt like the ****ens but not as bad as last night. so she's fine to feed for like 20 minutes at a time? Where would I buy soothies? the LC at the hospital really didn't help too much, she just wanted me to stay in the hospital to observe the breast feeding and I'd been there five days already and hadn't heard anything new from her and had dd latching on properly. I'll maybe give the local LLL a call and see what they say
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
stopka7224
Registered Users
seller

UGh... Sometimes the hospital staff really insn't very helpful. They probably do more damage than anything... Especially for new moms. Most importantly trust yourself. Your body and the baby will help you know what to do. It is completely normal for babies to lose weight in the first few days. I too gave DS formula while I was at the hospital bc thats what the nurses thought I should do. And I had excruciating pain for about 6 weeks when he first latched on. How are you suplementing? My doctor reccomended using a medicine dropper to reduce the nipple confusion. The baby may have a hard time adjusting to the difference. I know it is hard and frustrating. Just don't give up. It will be OK!!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oh honey big hugs! The first couple of weeks are hard. But, don't supplement anymore if you can help it. It is detrimental to your milk supply and your long term breastfeeding success. Definately call the LLL, and get someone over to help you. You can do it mama! It's so rewarding and SO easy once you get the hang of it. And the baby is ok eating 20 minutes, and really in the beginning they don't need much food. Also, if she was really awake and alert but not latching on, perhaps baby wasn't hungry? Sometimes my Bella would go a long time w/o eating in the very beginning. I hope you get the help you need!
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been there too. Keep trying to find an LC who can help you, the ones in the hospital & the pp visit didn't help me, I saw one weeks later on my own who was amazing!

What kind of pain is it? Nipple, let down pain, in the breast? I had all three

Soothies can help, nipple shields help with nipple pain. Editing to add that for me it was caused by my daughter's palet shape, she eventually grew out of it & in the mean time the lc showed me what to do to be comfortable.

For painful let down, I used a warm rice pack or warm washcloth on my breast right before nursing to help ease let down.

I also ended up w/thrush in my ducts (not on the nipple & the baby didn't have it), symptom was extreme pain towards the middle/end of nursing, shooting pains that went around to my back. If you took antibiotics in the hospital & have that kind of pain, it's a possiblity. Had to take difulcan (sp) for 2 weeks, but it was better after 2 days on it.

Hmmm, what else, the lc told me it was ok to take a tylenol or advil to help w/pain &/or inflamation but ask your md or lc if it is ok cause some say not to.

If you can pump & finger feed, that will keep your supply up until things work out.

Last edited by FunnyMonkey; 05-20-2006 at 04:56 PM.
FunnyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote