Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
karmamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Corpus Christi

This kinda came out of left field, and neither dh nor I have ever set foot in the great state of Texas, but it looks like we may be moving to the Corpus Christi area within the month

I need a Texas tutorial...(and please excuse any questions that are ridiculously ignorant )
- Any tips for good vs bad areas to live? We have 3 kids and 2 dogs, so want to rent a house not an apartment if we can. Dh's job is near Taft (I think??) but I'd prefer to live in a larger area, that town seemed reeeeeally small when I googled it.
- How hot does it really get here? I'm afraid my northern self might melt to the pavement Is there a rainy season, or is it pretty dry all the time?
- I am scared poop-less of creepy crawlies...give me a run down of all the critters I need to be aware of and how to avoid run-ins. I'm having an anxiety attack just asking this question
- What is there to do in Corpus/surrounding areas? Are the beaches/water clean? Do folks swim, or is it scenery only?
- Are there any co-ops or health food stores? Or do the major chains do a reasonable job of carrying natural/organic products?
- Are people in general pretty freindly/welcoming, or is it kind of clique-ish and hard for an outsider to meet people?
- What's the deal with hurricanes? I'm not a news watcher or weather observer, so I have no familiarity with the season, preparedness, anything.

And whatever else you feel is relevant

Thanks mamas

ETA...any hb mw recommendations? We are considering ttc again this summer

Advertisement

Last edited by karmamama; 05-13-2009 at 12:04 PM.
karmamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
LissaLue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Corpus Christi

That's a lot of questions!
Yes it gets HOT here! Today it's already upper 80s. It's will probably hit 90. And it's humid. But the wind makes up for most of it.

We go to the beach a lot during the summer. Yes you can swim. It's the gulf so it's not clear water like California or anything. And there are some spots that are not as clean as others. You just drive out there and park by the water. Which I love!

Check into the newer parts of town for homes. That's mostly on the South side. My in-laws and grandmother live on that side.

As far as creepy crawlies, just the usual aunts spiders and roaches. LOL I hate them. The only way to keep them out is to keep your house clean and make sure your house isn't too old or right by the water. Those things bring in those salt water roaches. Eww...

The only place that has a good variety of organic stuff here is Sun Harvest. I like to go there, but don't go as often as I would like. People here aren't really into that sort of stuff, so it's not as abundant as some places.

As far as the people go, there are a lot of friendly people here. But there are also some of those cliquish type. I think that serves to be true with anywhere you live though.

I'm just trying to address the questions you asked here. If you need anything else, just ask. I've been living here for the past 14 yrs now.
LissaLue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
LissaLue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That soudns a lot worse than it really is here! LOL Sorry.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lets see if I can help any I've lived in Corpus Christi my whole life.
- Any tips for good vs bad areas to live? We have 3 kids and 2 dogs, so want to rent a house not an apartment if we can. Dh's job is near Taft (I think??) but I'd prefer to live in a larger area, that town seemed reeeeeally small when I googled it.
Taft is a small area, you might try some place like Portland, its a really nice area and only about 15 minutes from Taft. If you'd prefer to live in Corpus itself, depending on his job location, you could probably find something.
- How hot does it really get here? I'm afraid my northern self might melt to the pavement Is there a rainy season, or is it pretty dry all the time?
Its pretty dry, very humid most days. But its really not that bad. We do get some rain, but not often.
- I am scared poop-less of creepy crawlies...give me a run down of all the critters I need to be aware of and how to avoid run-ins. I'm having an anxiety attack just asking this question
I HATE creepy crawlies, but I live in a wooded/secluded area so I have to deal with them. Really the only things around are spiders and roaches in general population areas. Like the above poster mentioned, there are the larger cockroaches if you live right on the water.
- What is there to do in Corpus/surrounding areas? Are the beaches/water clean? Do folks swim, or is it scenery only?
Personally, I hate the beach. I don't like salt water and I hate how it sticks to me, LOL. So, we prefer to go to the fresh water lake. Its about a 30-40 minute drive, but its NICE! Lots of people do swim at the beach though, there are some areas that are better to go to than others. There's also places like the Science Museum, The Lexington, The TX State Aquarium and lots of nice local parks. Portland has a little water park as well for the adults and kids.
- Are there any co-ops or health food stores? Or do the major chains do a reasonable job of carrying natural/organic products?
Sun Harvest is the main health food store in Corpus. But the local HEB Plus' (our local grocery chain) carries a very large variety of health foods, an entire section of the store dedicated to such. This is where I buy most of my organic.
- Are people in general pretty freindly/welcoming, or is it kind of clique-ish and hard for an outsider to meet people?
I would say, it depends on where you live. I've honestly, in 8 years of marriage, never lived anyplace where the neighbors introduced themselves to us.
- What's the deal with hurricanes? I'm not a news watcher or weather observer, so I have no familiarity with the season, preparedness, anything.
Go to KRISTV.com and they have a whole section dedicated to hurricane preparedness. Thats one of our local TV stations websites. During the months of June til November, its best to keep yourself watchful of the local weather. Hurricanes CAN be bad, but we haven't had a major one here in quite awhile. We are certainly due for one, but who knows what nature will bring our way!
And whatever else you feel is relevant

Thanks mamas

PM me and I'll give you the names of 2 homebirth midwives in Corpus. Both of my friends have used them and I know they are both wonderful.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Jessmomto2
Registered Users
seller

I don't live in Corpus but we're here frequently at Driscoll. We live in the Valley and we still used a Corpus midwife. Beth Overton attented my youngest' birth and she was absolutely wonderful. Several of my friends have used her as well and really loved her.

and always in our hearts, our dear grandmother Neena 7/23/32-7/3/08
Jessmomto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoSunshines View Post
PM me and I'll give you the names of 2 homebirth midwives in Corpus. Both of my friends have used them and I know they are both wonderful.
There are TWO now? Cool! I know Beth is one of them, who is the second?

OP, when are you planning to get here? I just got back to the area and am hoping to try to do a meet-up in Corpus. I've tried before to do it before I left for DC, but it never worked out (MyTwoSunshines).

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
LissaLue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beth lives across from my in-laws. Or at least she used to.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know there's a midwife out of Rockport, TX. I'm not sure of her name but she runs Comforts of Home Midwifery. There's another Corpus midwife and I cannot for the life of me remember her name! She delivered 3 of my friends kids, I will call her and ask what her name is. Oh and Carrie, I would LOVE to get together but Sundays normally don't work out for us because of our church and family schedule.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.comfortsofhomemidwifery.com Here's the info on the other midwife, her name is Mercy and I'm pretty sure she interned 4 years with Beth Overton. She's a really sweet mama and just had a baby herself in January (her 3rd.)
Old 05-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoSunshines View Post
Taft is a small area, you might try some place like Portland, its a really nice area and only about 15 minutes from Taft. If you'd prefer to live in Corpus itself, depending on his job location, you could probably find something.
I live in Portland and it's a really nice place. Very residential. I feel completely safe here going for walks with my son through the neighborhoods. There isn't a LOT to do in Portland.. just a few stores, parks, and the movies, but Corpus is just 10 miles away for more entertainment.
THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote