Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Need Pinto Bean Main Dish Ideas Please

Hey Mama's. I have a huge bag of Pinto Beans that I would like to use as our main dish tonight. I've already made chili, so not that please. We're kinda mother hubbard until Friday so I don't have a lot of things to work with to go with it. Any brilliant ideas you can help me out with?? Thanks!

Jan Proud Mama to 5 beautiful children! Sharing my favorite deals and freebies with my friends and family...and you HERE!
mamajudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Need Pinto Bean Main Dish Ideas Please

This one looks good:
I really like this website for recipes, if you don't want to try this one I bet you'll find one your interested in! Good luck!
SAHM to Grayson 10/15/04, Hadley 12/27/06, and Isaac 4/3/09, VERY happy to be married to Josh! ISO:Gender neutral newborn wool.
GandH'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

We do 4 things with our pinto beans(any dish I make I always slow cook them in the crockpot with bacon before making the dishes):
1) cheese and bean ?quesadillas?(beans can be smushed or whole)
2) whole beans with cubed avacado and a pinch of salt(sounds funny but me and DH tried it and ate 2 bowls each at one sitting)
3) beans mixed with scrambled eggs(make like an omlete with veggies or serve topped with salsa0
4)chili(I know you don't want that but I made my list for future ideas)
tjsacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
My Mood:

we simply do rice and beans (fried in a bit of olive oil and onion) and eggs on the side (or mixed in as a PP said).

You could make picaditas (also called sopes) where you top the fat corn tortilla with beans, tomatoe salsa and cheese.

Beans and queso fresco or seco and tortillas..

Hi! I'm Dawn. Wife and no label mama to my men ages 19, 11, 7 and 2 years old. Catholic God seeker. STAT and PICC RN. Knitter. Friend.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Registered Users

I love plain old rice and beans, personally, and could eat it every night of the week. A green bell pepper makes it extra tasty. most of these recipes call for different kinds of beans but i substitute willy-nilly and generally don't have a problem. sorry, I can't post links, so i'm just describing how i would do these dishes.

vegan bean balls: make it from rice, breadcrumbs, beans, mash it all together and fried... probably add onions, various peppers, eggs, any kind of spices.

make them into falafel (instead of using chickpeas)

bean, mushroom and grain-stuffed peppers

you could season it with curry spice if you have that on hand

make baking powder biscuits and use the beans to make a yummy gravy. i like the recipe from post-punk kitchen.. google "tempeh white bean gravy"

jamaican style-oxtails super yummy... you could do this with any kind of bone meat, or even a soup bone - just boil the heck outta that bone, add it to your plain cooked beans and season approximately like the all-recipes version suggests. simmer til nice and thick.

if you have some leftover cooked unseasoned beans, you can puree them with sugar and a little of milk (or coconut milk) and freeze them into delicious popsicles. normally this kind of popsicle uses adzuki beans but I think pintos would probably work just fine as it's the sweetness and the nice beany texture that are delicious. google 'red bean ice pop."

good luck!

Last edited by cyclamen; 05-14-2009 at 05:57 PM.
cyclamen is offline   Reply With Quote