Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone do PT or OT with their baby

My 6 month old is going to start OT for "poor muscle tone" next week and I am wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on what to expect. Its mostly for oral muscles but also to help her roll over and such. TIA

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Anyone do PT or OT with their baby

We did/do it with Sophie our middle child. She goes to a PT/OT that is only for children. Her's is playtime and everything is fun. She has always really enjoyed it
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Been there. DD had oral motor issues that we had therapy for. They basically just played with her using tools that would help strengthen her lip, jaw, cheeck mucles. We used a nuby brush, chew tube, bubble blowers, vibrating toothbrushes, etc... She had some speech and eating delays that we worked on too, but she outgrew the program and didn't qualify for ITP programs in her area. We are still dealing with some of the issues, but I think the therapy did a lot. Hope you get similar results. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions... GL!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bram is in PT, OT, and ST. He's older though, so what we do now might be a bit different than what your DC will work on. But like the PP said, they basically just make it into play time - DS loves going. We do all the oral involved stuff in ST though. She does stretches with him (on his mouth), and uses things like toothbrushes, popsicles, etc. for stimulation. Oh, and she uses lemon swabs too. It makes him smack and stick his tongue out and stuff (which he never did before). We're working on communication skills too (and especially signing!), but your DC would be too young for that just yet.. OT is for fine motor skills and upper body so we're working on using a spoon and things like that. For a 6mo though, they will probably work on holding toys, switching hands, and then eventually putting toys in and out of buckets, stacking blocks, things like that. In PT, we are working on the lower half of his body -standing, crawling using his knees, etc- but that's our main problem area .
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son Keegan was in PT/OT practically from birth. He was born 3 months premature and had a brain bleed which resulted in hydrocephalus so he was at very high risk for developmental disorders. He also had low tone. I think the therapy helped alot. He did outgrow the need for it at about 18 months and now at almost 4 is right on target for other kids his age. I truely think he wouldn't be where he is now if it wasn't for PT/OT.

But with that said there was a downside for me. Perhaps I'm sensitive but I guess what hit me the most about PT/OT was how protective I felt over Keegan. It is the PT/OT's job to evalute your baby and come up with techniques to help them improve, the later I was fine with but the evaluations I was not fine with. I felt like they were always looking for something wrong with him and it stressed me out. They would make an offhand comment, such as "well normally babys discover their hands before their feet" or "he doesn't appear to have good grasping ability with his right hand" and I would worry about it for days on end and wonder if it was a sign of something bigger, you know? Sorry for all my rambling.. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't do what I did. Just go with it and know that it is good for them and that the therapists are there to help and try not to be too sensitive or worry too much like I did .

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote