Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Husky359
Registered Users

Homebirth?

I just wondered if anyone who did a homebirth wished they wouldn't have went that route. Not pregnant yet, but already trying to decide which way to go next time. I don't know if I can live without the epidural, and my dh is afraid of the risks.

Advertisement

Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homebirth?

I have had one hospital birth, my first. The rest of my babies, seven of them, have been born at home in water. I would not birth any other way. I will have another HB, in fact unassisted birth, UC, this August. Labor can be challenging, but at home you must get through it. I found labor and birth in water wonderful, especially compared to transition on land. Your risks are much higher for intervention in hospital, leading to many problems.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my first in a hospital 100% natrual and hated pretty much every min of it. I was attacked over and over and over again to get things like , IVs , Vit k shot , eye goop , no delayed cord cutting , no walking around , no this that and the other , then they also kept trying to force PIT on me too...it was discusting that i had to yell and scream and threathen to leave the hospital and file a serious complaint for them to shut up and leave me alone. I got my way in the end , only thing i met them HALF way on was i got the IV lock thing put in JUST in case something did go wrong.

my labour was like 7 hours long and my baby was pushed out in 5 pushes , with a perfect score and was the ONLY baby not jaundiced born that week.
no rips/tears , problems what soo ever. only thing different with me is with that pregnancy during labour and delivery i felt NO pain , no nothing but pressure , i slept i think i goot 6.5 hours of it LOL

Soo anyways.... to me a home birth is a MUCH safer place to be and less " risky " in a sence you dont have ppl hurrassing you and trying to force you into drugs and c-sections and whatever other crap they can fill your head with. Plus i want my DD to be involved with the birth and it to be a fun thing not stressful and i couldnt do that at a hospital nor would my DD be allowed in.

Soo to me go with a homebirth with a MW , but still REGISTER at the hospital. And if the pain or if you feel uncomphy with it or something you can always drive to one. Its not like when your at home your forced to stay there kinda thing. My MW has told me many times if i get unsure or if i do feel pain this time around and i cant do it i can always go to the hospital....you have a free will at home.... hospitals not soo much.

ok im rambling now ....lol thats just my 2 cents its your choice
do research , talk to a midwife they help you out with all fears and questions. even you DH

~~~Expecting Jan.2015 Baby~~~
xoxCoralxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
SimplyGreen
Registered Users
seller

We had our first child via home birth and are planning a home birth again with our second! I would have not changed a thing, my MW was very educated and knowlegeable and I felt very supported. We did always have a back-up plan in case I decided last minute to go to the hospital, but did not need to go. As far as the pain goes, it hurts but you work through it, I feel like its easier to work through in your own home, you can do what you want, with what feel comfortable! As far as the risks, I have heard just as many hosptial horror stories, they just do not get the attention that a hb does! I say if you plan for the home birth you will be fine! Best of luck!!
SimplyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a hb with my third and I wish we'd had all 3 at home! Wouldn't change a thing! You can read Oliver's birth story in my siggy.
ETA: for low risk women, homebirth has been proven to be as safe as a hospital birth (and IMO, hb is safer in that you don't run the risk of all those interventions that send you down the slippery slope to a section).

Last edited by kezoo; 05-18-2009 at 06:23 PM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
I had a hb with my third and I wish we'd had all 3 at home! Wouldn't change a thing! You can read Oliver's birth story in my siggy.
ETA: for low risk women, homebirth has been proven to be as safe as a hospital birth (and IMO, hb is safer in that you don't run the risk of all those interventions that send you down the slippery slope to a section)

This is me! I had my 3rd at home and wished that i had all of them at home. I am planning on having my 4th at home too!
Completely agree with whats in bold!
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of people who had home births loved it rather than wished they hadn't.

Birth is not a sickness, it is an experience and a highlight of your life.

You can most definitely live without the epidural, and you and your baby will be much better off without it.

If it is your first birth and you are unsure/uneasy and DH is not on board with a home birth, you might be better off having the baby in a hospital/birthing center just for your peace of mind. What the PPs said about hospital births is totally true though. I actually believe home birth is safer than the hospital.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Husky359
Registered Users

Not my first, it would be my 2nd. My first was horrible, though, starting with preeclampsia and the works, although I did get to deliver vaginally. I had to be induced way before things were ready, so I really have no idea what the natural process feels like. But the induced variety was extremely painful, and I don't think I could have done it without the epidural. I am totally against having a c-section, and yet I was asking for it because it hurt so bad (not seriously asking for it...... but it was bad).
Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my first 100% natural in a hospital with a midwife. Amazing birth but not so great experience fighting the doctors and nurses because of protocol.

My second was born at home and it was incredible. No one telling me what to do, what position to be in, threatening me with time limits....etc.

I will have all future babies at home, Lord willing!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have had all but 1 of my 5 children at home. While I can not say that I *regret* it, I can say that I am not sure that I can do it again. My first birth I had demerol, which if anyone here has experience with that... lets just say it wasn't exactlly pain releif! LOL. The rest were unmedicated UC births.

I have very hard, painfull births & I just dont know if I can do it again. I am registering at the hospital, but still holding out hope for another unasssited birth at home. I'm done being a martyr.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote