Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
dandalyin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Packed Lunches for my pre-schooler

For the summer, there is no lunch service at my daughter's preschool...so I will have to pack her lunch everyday.

The problem is that she doesn't eat much! There will no refrigeration or heating of lunches

I can pack her a bowl of mac-n-cheese or a PB&J...that's all I can come up with at the moment!

She will not eat ham/turkey-type sandwiches. Will not eat a wrap. I'm at a total loss here for the "main course"

IDEAS???? Thanks!!!

Advertisement

PM me for YYMN!
dandalyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Packed Lunches for my pre-schooler

Yikes, no fridge or heating, plus a picky eater?? You got a tough one. How about putting soup or speghettios (whatever she'll eat) in a thermos. If you put it in hot, it should be at least warm still by lunch for her. I know my toddler loves chicken noodle soup with the stars or alphabet.

Will she eat a room temp pancake or toasted cheese? You could make in the morning and wrap in foil.

How about those lunchable type meals. They have them at the Dollar Tree. My kids love those for a treat.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 4 yo little girl looooves edemame. steam it (in the microwave is sooo easy), sprinkle with a little sea salt if you so desire and it's a yummy, funny-to-eat protein source.

she'll have fun pickin' or suckin' the bean out!

plus, it can be served warm, cold or at room temp and it tastes great!

TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
dandalyin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
my 4 yo little girl looooves edemame. steam it (in the microwave is sooo easy), sprinkle with a little sea salt if you so desire and it's a yummy, funny-to-eat protein source.

she'll have fun pickin' or suckin' the bean out!

plus, it can be served warm, cold or at room temp and it tastes great!
Well, this would be great idea...I love edemame and they would be so good for her! BUT she won't touch them! I've tried and tried and she has never even tasted one, but insists she doesn't like them!

PM me for YYMN!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmmm, we like dipping both apples and celery in peanut butter.

does she eat boiled eggs? avocado?

maybe you can get a small cooler and some ice packs so that you'll have more options what to send?

that's really tough- my little ones eat anything but i'd still have a hard time with the no fridge thing!

TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Wow - no fridge and no heating is tough! I agree about packing an insulated lunch box with ice packs - then you could do cold stuff at least. That would at least keep things like yogurt (with granola), cottage cheese and string cheese cool until lunch time.

You could also do something like freeze the yogurt ahead of time and then just pop it, frozen, into the lunch bag - by lunch time, it would still be cold, maybe thawed - if not, a frozen yogurty treat?

What about hummus with veggies or crackers or pita bread to dip?
Instant oatmeal that could be made with just hot tap water?
Pasta or noodle salad?
Dried fruit or fruit roll-ups? Raisins? Granola bars?

GL with this! That's a tough spot. I have a picky eater, too, and we are required to pack his lunch all year long, but the preschool does have a fridge, microwave and toaster oven.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS takes lunch to preschool too. Here are some things he loves:

Different types of pasta ie. mini bowties, small shells, corkscrews, with small cubed chicken or ham with a little butter and cheese (I put the grated cheese in a small little container that is in my laptop lunch) and I put the pasta in a thermos.

An "upside down" day - breakfast for lunch I pack a hardboiled egg, mini bagel and cereal in a bowl. I put milk in his Kleen Kanteen. If you put it in the fridge overnight in the kk it will be very cold and he can pour it on his cereal and drink the rest His fav now is Marshmallow Oaties. It is the healthier version of Lucky Charms. It actually tastes the same!

Laptop lunches are great because you can make anything look interesting by presentation. Thats all I can type for now.. baby is calling...

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
dandalyin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anyone else have ideas?

PM me for YYMN!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD loves leftover pizza and crackers/cheese/ham like a homeade lunchable
also yogurt/granola to sprinkle on top grapes/oranges/banannas
Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make my own "uncrustables" peanut butter sandwiches with a dumpling press (also called a perogie press). The press itself is not expensive, just kind of hard to find. You can also make them ahead of time and freeze them. Recently they asked I stopped sending them with #2, because she just digs out the peanut butter with her fingers and makes a mess. But I still send them with #1.

They also like homemade lunchables. Meaning, cuts of meat and cheese, and crackers. They also like cut-up fruit.

Honestly, I don't sweat the preschool lunches. I don't pack anything that can't sit in their insulated cooler until lunch, and I don't make anything that has to be heated. I make sure they eat a good breakfast and dinner, and a healthy snack when they get home, because they don't eat their lunch half the time. At that age they are so excited about being at school with their friends, they forget to eat. Also, the preschools in our area are required by the state to give midmorning snacks, so often the girls will fill up on the snack at not have much room by lunch. I prefer to make sure they eat the "good stuff" at home where I can control what they eat.