Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pizza dough -- What's your favorite from-scratch recipe?

I just learned recently that you can buy already made dough from grocery store bakeries (for example Publix) for like a $1.75. Each bag of dough would make a med/large pizza.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat View Post
I cheat and use a bread machine, but it is just 1 cup water, 3 cups flour, 2 T oil, 1t salt and 2t yeast. Not sure if you'd have to change this to make it without the machine, or not.

I do mix and knead mine by hand...actually DH makes the dough most of the time. He makes awesome pizzas. Mine are pretty darned good too, but his look prettier. We make homemade pizza every week and we absolutley love it. I've found that I don't like to go out to eat pizza, because I think ours is so much better. I would like to try WP and AB's recipes though. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

You should also be able to freeze the dough - I do that all the time with my recipe. I can't give it out b/c it's family. However, I make enough for the month and before the second rise, I take three of the hunks and freeze them. Then, I let them thaw for a day in the fridge, and let them rise like normal before I use them.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuanda View Post
You should also be able to freeze the dough - I do that all the time with my recipe. I can't give it out b/c it's family. However, I make enough for the month and before the second rise, I take three of the hunks and freeze them. Then, I let them thaw for a day in the fridge, and let them rise like normal before I use them.
Thanks! Good idea. Once I find a recipe I like, I will definitely have to freeze some. I am experimenting with freezing some one hour yeast rolls right now.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #15
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmskids View Post
I don't have access to my absolute favorite one though it's in the bread machine for dummies book. I'll post it maybe tomorrow if I bring the book to work. However my second favorite is Wolfegang Pucks. It's really good and unlike some of them, doesn't take much rising time. If I know ahead of time, I usually make up Alton Brown's one from foodtv.

Pizza dough

If you don't mind making it up one day and eating the next, Alton Brown's is pretty good.

Foodtv
Thanks! Tried the first one tonight and it was a hit. I am hoping to try the AB one this coming week.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat View Post
I cheat and use a bread machine, but it is just 1 cup water, 3 cups flour, 2 T oil, 1t salt and 2t yeast. Not sure if you'd have to change this to make it without the machine, or not.
This recipe is almost identical to the Wolfgang Puck one that mmskids linked to. His just has a teaspoon of honey in there too. I used my mixer/hands and it turned out great.

Thanks all! Anyone else have any to share, please do. I'll just keep on trying them.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
Aread
Registered Users

My Mood:

I get mine from Wal-mart and then freeze it. It's only .99 a pack of already made dough. Cut in half it makes 2 medium size calzones! It freezes well too. I just put it into a freezer bag and it's all set.

Before i dizcovered this i bought the boxed pizza meal from our local discount grocery store. I used the dough only and made my calzones or pizzas. I hate dealing with yeast so this is as close as I got to homemade
Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #18
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aread View Post
I get mine from Wal-mart and then freeze it. It's only .99 a pack of already made dough. Cut in half it makes 2 medium size calzones! It freezes well too. I just put it into a freezer bag and it's all set.

Before i dizcovered this i bought the boxed pizza meal from our local discount grocery store. I used the dough only and made my calzones or pizzas. I hate dealing with yeast so this is as close as I got to homemade
Is that a super Wal-Mart? We don't have those around here. Where in the store do you get it. I am enjoying making bread from scratch, so that doesn't bother me, but great to have other options in a pinch.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
jelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something I do when in the mood is add a crushed clove of garlic and maybe a tsp. of oregano to the dough. Makes it extra savory and yummy!
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
Aread
Registered Users

My Mood:

HHMM I think it's a Super Walmart. Super is not in the name though. I find it by the deli counter. They have a cold bin a sandwiches and different things. I just happened upon that dough one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacim View Post
Is that a super Wal-Mart? We don't have those around here. Where in the store do you get it. I am enjoying making bread from scratch, so that doesn't bother me, but great to have other options in a pinch.