Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DS will be a year old in two weeks...

and I have no plans to wean him. However, I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and my milk supply has been really low for a few months. I think this started when he was around nine months old. We have been managing well with my supply, and just increased solids given to him. I wanted to avoid supplementing with formula and/or using up my freezer stash. I also started offering him juices and water to keep him hydrated in between nursing him.

I work during the week and pump twice a day. My supply has went lower and lower. I am bringing home 3 ounces a day now from the two pumping sessions. Two weeks ago it was five. He is given one bottle a day while I am away from him and it is normally what I pumped the day before. I started doing this in hopes of keeping the last 20 ounces of bm in my freezer until I knew it wouldn't be needed for back-up.

My plans are to continue the routine of pumping twice a day through this week, then start pumping only once a day next week, then no longer pump during the day the week after that once he is a year old. I figure my sitter can offer him a bottle at lunch like we have been doing up until I quit pumping. He would then just nurse in the mornings and evenings. Which, currently when I am home on the weekends, he isn't nursing buy maybe 3 - 4 times a day. That includes his waking feeding and night-time feeding. He actually has even gone to bed without nursing several times recently.

Ok, so my question... I am really undecided about introducing cow milk to him. I really feel that he doesn't even need it for nutrients as he eats plenty of other things. He love yogurt and cheese and usually has at least one or the other once a day. My only concern would be the fact that he will not be getting the bottle of breastmilk during the day, so would his juice and water be enough? This would make him only have breastmilk from nursing about twice a day during the week and how ever much he wanted on weekends.

I am sorry this is so long! I am just really stressed about what to do. I don't want him to wean, but I also would like to quit pumping at work as well. If I should continue the pumping, then I will. However, if the nursing while I am at home should be fine, then it would be nice to stop pumping as with the pregnancy, it is painful!

I hope some of you have some advice for me to ease my concern!

Thank you mamas!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
trippsmom
Registered Users
seller

Location: Little Rock, but my heart is still in Greenville, AL
My Mood:
Re: My DS will be a year old in two weeks...

I'm really interested in hearing how other moms have dealt with a decreasing supply, but lack of wanting to wean.

I am really torn on giving cows milk too. Ds has had a little bit here and there and only when dh can't get him to drink anything else after we ran out of frozen milk. I stopped responding to my pump at all 2 weeks ago. My supply is still good when he is actively nursing I can hear swallowing and I get "full feeling". He also still nurses constantly through the day. He's recently started eating more solids at a time and wanting to nurse more. I'm feeling the effects of a growth spurt.
Rachel- CPST - wife to Lester and blessed to be the cd-ing, bw-ing, delay/selective vaxing and extended r****** and b****** pt-SAHM to my little man Tripp 12/22/07 And Aubrey Elisabeth 11/20/2009 My all natural drug-free hospital birth!
Riding in 2 Radian XTSL's, a Coccoro and True Fit Premier
trippsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never have that "full" feeling, but stopped having it before I got pregnant. However, I had no supply issues at that time and was pumping around 20 ounces a day. He still nurses, but it is obvious he isn't getting much. However, I let him nurse as often as he wants. I hope that thinks continue to go well for you through your pregnancy!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
rissamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my little guy is a year 2 weeks ago and I stopped pumping at work maybe a week ago and I just give water during the day the nursing at night and in the morning is enough and if he si getting cheese and yogart you should be fine. I tried cows milk and my little guy spits it out and makes the sign for milk at me and taps his chest like he is saying my milk because cows milk isn't his milk.

, babywearing, getting crunchier by the day!
rissamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, great! Thanks for the reply. That is what I was needin to hear. :]