Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you feel about...

We rarely have sitters, but I feel the most comfortable with a lady who is my mom's age and has kids/grandkids the age of myself and my kids. It's a great setup bc we are like her foster kids/grandkids bc our parents live far away, and her kids do. I don't necessarily have an issue with a male caregiver...I have a good friend who used to babysit as a teen and he was great with kids. I don't know, though. I don't think I'd trust a teen boy. Men routinely help in our church nurseries, but the guidelines require a woman to be in there at all times as well. My dh is fine with this, as he feels more comfortable in that situation bc no one could ever level any sort of accusation if there was always someone else there.

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to volunteer at the nursury when my daughter was in there, (now that shes in the 2 year olds I teach her class) and there was a family of 4 (mom, dad and 2 teenage boys) who volunteered on alternating weeks. they were GREAT Gracie loved going on thier days. they boys were so playful and very energetic and honestly loved the kids. on the other hand outside of church it would be a completly different story. I dont know what my prerequisits would have to be to be able to watch my child lol
Old 12-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciate View Post
I think it stinks that males can't be childcare workers without people looking at them suspiciously and making all sorts of horrible assumptions.
Yeah, I agree. However, I know ppl whose children have had abuse issues and whenever I remember their stories, I can't seem to get it out of my mind that males are the vast majority of the offenders- and of those- they are boyfriends, uncles, friends, and even spouses. Of course strangers too.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have issues with that at all. In fact, where we are right now in the top 5 people I'd let watch Jackson, 4 are men/boys.

I don't care at all the gender or anything else about who watches Jackson. More on their ability to care for Jackson properly and love on him, play with him, etc.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It really depends on the male in question. I don't really know how I'd feel about a male being our church nursery person, dh & I would have to talk about it if it came up. I've had friends' dh's watch my kids and stuff. There was a time when I used to go to the gym ( HAHA!) and a guy I went to high school with who was a HUGE POT HEAD among other things, was working in their daycare! WHY? There were like a TON of girls who worked there, why put a male in there?? I personally don't THINK he would ever molest a child but sadly, in today's world, you can never be 100% sure! I suspect that a man who was like an uncle to me for MANY YEARS is involved in the child sex slave industry in Asia. He's taken many trips to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. and for no appearant reason. No family or friends, just to vacation. He hasn't been married in over 25yrs, and married an 18yo when he was married. He always pays special attention to younger girls. He never molested me or touched me innapropriatly but I wouldn't be 1 bit surprised if he's molested other children. As a parent I now watch people's actions around children, their mannerisms and to tell you the truth, I don't even trust my FIL alone with my DS'. Especially my 4yo who he is just glued to when he comes over.
Anyway, I went way off on a tangent there but honestly, I probably wouldn't feel comfy with it. If I knew the male it would be different, I would consider it more but I don't know about a stranger.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that it depends on the who it is. So far, the only person who has ever babysat Bram is my sister. (She was 17 the first time she watched him, she's 19 now.) I wouldn't let any other teenager at all watch him though. My sister has very good motherly instincts. Probably the only male that I KNOW that I would trust him with is my friend's DF. He's alone with their DD often because she works and he often watches another little boy too so he knows what he's doing. But its not really about male or female for me. Honestly, to assume that males in general aren't to be left alone with children is kind of creepy.... no offense or anything, that's just how I feel about it.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #17
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If hes good, than IMO it doesnt matter I would leave ds with my younger brother or dh brother with no problem at all if needed (and we lived closer to them) My dad and a couple of my uncles/cousins would also be ok...I guess it really depends on the guy and how well I know him, same way if it was a female.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't have a problem with him being male personally but dd wouldn't go into a nursery with a male in there. One week in our nursery there was supposed to be a husband and wife but the wife wasn't feeling well so didn't come. DD refused to even walk in the nursery that week and she loves to go in there normally.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #19
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Well, we hardly ever leave our kids with sitters and when we do it's just family. So, I can't really answer. But there are very few males I know well enough to trust with my children.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #20
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't feel comfortable with it unless there is a female with them or it is someone I know very well.

I know that sounds harsh, but I am paranoid!
bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote