Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question Starting real food..

ok i know at my DD's age i need to start with food .well its going great!She hated baby food but she loves the real just not sure what it safe and good to start them off on..I know noddles and cheese,the books also say egg but not the white parts.they mention yellow veggies but squash is they only one i know ,but im a little confused do i give her the skin?I think its to tough for her to chew..She has 5 teeth and understands the chewing part im just not sure what i can and cannot give her..or how to prepare it..If anyone has ideas and cant help..please do im open to everything..Thank for taking the time to read this post.

Soon to be married to my sweetie Ryan
SAHM to Makiah 3/25/06

Baby #2 Due in October...
sweetmakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
My Mood:
Re: Starting real food..

Here is a great link! I use this for making baby food, but it has finger foods as well!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Do you have the book First Foods? I love it and she teaches you how to make certain things, what to give month to month, etc. I used it as a guide for about five months or so and now I just check it occasionally. Avacado is always good b/c its easy for them to much up w/ their gums. I steam zuchinni, squash, and broccoli and give him little pieces of that- he loves it! I'll do mac and cheese and put in myfood processor and then we both have it for lunch. I've also taken ravioli's (grown up kind) and mushed those up and spoon fed them to him, but now he can eat little pieces using his fingers. I also would bake a potato and then boil some chicken and steam some broccoli and put that in the food processor. The "porridge" she suggests int he book is really healthy for them and that's his breakfast alot of days. Ethan is also nuts about blueberries. I cut them in half and they've been a hit for months now. He'll never say no to those LOL. I think I started him on soft cheeses at about 9 months and that's still abig hit. I just cut it up in little pieces for him. I tried shredded and he won't touch it. That book is really useful. I highly suggest it.
Kelly, coffee addicted internet junkie married to my navy man Scott, and mama to Ethan 12.25.05 and Lucas 6.10.08
Adorn- nursing/babywearing necklaces, jewelry, beaded watches, and wine charms. Click me!
Kelolsen-and-Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Users

I gave dd lots of veggies and fruit. The only thing I would watch for with other foods is food allergies. It turns out my dd is allergic to milk, egg, and sesame (all confirmed through allergy testing). So for the most allergic foods (milk, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish, wheat, and soy) just be sure you give them one at a time and watch for reactions. If there isn't one (wait a few hours, it can take a while for some) then that food is probably safe.

One thing that worked well for us was to keep a bag of frozen mixed veggies and frozen mixed fruit in the freezer. When I didn't have anything else suitable, I would take out a few pieces and steam them in the microwave for dd. She ate what she liked and I didn't have to cook five different veggies in order for her to get some variety. She also loves pasta so we give her lots of that. Watch out for too much dairy because even if there isn't an allergy, too much dairy can be hard on a babies stomach.

I really believe in giving babies whatever you are eating (within reason). We have always given dd all kinds of foods and she is a really good eater. She likes curries and all sorts of spicy, exotic foods.
I knit sweaters and longies (especially sock monkey ones):
Crocheted Cupcake "Baking" sets, playfood, and sock monkey items now available at my etsy store
Mama to Annabel 9/01/05, Ian 10/11/08
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote