Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
MommyMondry
Registered Users

My Mood:
Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Ok, so I haven't had any major problems in 7 months of cloth diapering. I decided to use a homemade detergent that many people had recommended in past posts because it is low sudsing and I haven't found a detergent that I don't have to rinse out 8 times. It is 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 cup oxyclean free. I used about 1/4 cup or less in a large load. So, after about 6 times of using this, my bum genius pocket diapers now repel all pee. I finally put him in disposables because I got sick of changing clothes and bed sheets 5 plus times a day. I have tried so many things so far to strip my diapers. I have tried hot boiling water, squirt of dawn, calgon (all in separate loads of course) and still have leaky diapers! I'm about to do bleach right now. Crossing my fingers. I'm just posting this to stop other people from using this homemade detergent on Bum Genius / pocket diapers to save them from the headache!

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Munchkin
Registered Users

Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMondry View Post
Ok, so I haven't had any major problems in 7 months of cloth diapering. I decided to use a homemade detergent that many people had recommended in past posts because it is low sudsing and I haven't found a detergent that I don't have to rinse out 8 times. It is 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 cup oxyclean free. I used about 1/4 cup or less in a large load. So, after about 6 times of using this, my bum genius pocket diapers now repel all pee. I finally put him in disposables because I got sick of changing clothes and bed sheets 5 plus times a day. I have tried so many things so far to strip my diapers. I have tried hot boiling water, squirt of dawn, calgon (all in separate loads of course) and still have leaky diapers! I'm about to do bleach right now. Crossing my fingers. I'm just posting this to stop other people from using this homemade detergent on Bum Genius / pocket diapers to save them from the headache!
UGH! I feel for you mama. I don't have any solution for you, other than perhaps try a very hot wash with a quirt of Dawn AND bleach, and rinse until there's no more bubbles/residue. Hope it works out for you .
Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
aufrog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never had a problem with that detergent causing repelling issues. I really don't see how it can since there are no soaps in it, just laundry boosters. Unless it's not really cleaning your inserts. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

The only problem I get when I use it is bad bad stinkies....and I have a hard time getting them to go away. The 2 times I've tried homemade detergents on my dipes I end up going back to purex. I don't think the MF inserts can get totally clean w/o a detergent and just using boosters.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I don't know what happened, but the only thing I can think of to cure your dipes is stripping them. That should take away any buildup. Just wash on hot with a squirt of dawn (only the first wash), extra rinse, then wash on hot again and then rinse rinse rinse until you see no more bubbles when it's filling up with water on your rinse cycle. HTH!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

That's too much oxiclean for microfibber. You need to rinse like mad to get the oxiclean build up out of the microfibber. I think just elemenating it all together will really help.

Bleach will not help remove the detergent build up and Dawn is only going to add more detergent to the mess. You need to use calgon and the hottest water you can and just keep rinseing till there's no more suds. When i got oxi build up it took me 2 DAYS of rinseing to get it all out.

GL mama

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
trixie182
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I was just about to make some for the first time today. I got all the ingredients and everything. Would you still use it on your clothes though?
trixie182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufrog View Post
I've never had a problem with that detergent causing repelling issues. I really don't see how it can since there are no soaps in it, just laundry boosters. Unless it's not really cleaning your inserts. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
I had the same thought but I only use cotton diapers. I have seen so much on here about BGs repelling though. Hope you figure it out.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
aufrog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
That's too much oxiclean for microfibber. You need to rinse like mad to get the oxiclean build up out of the microfibber. I think just elemenating it all together will really help.

Bleach will not help remove the detergent build up and Dawn is only going to add more detergent to the mess. You need to use calgon and the hottest water you can and just keep rinseing till there's no more suds. When i got oxi build up it took me 2 DAYS of rinseing to get it all out.

GL mama
I never realized the oxyclean would cause the buildup. I always use a scoop in every load w/ my regular detergent but never get the stinks like i do when I use this recipe.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
aufrog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie182 View Post
Thanks! I was just about to make some for the first time today. I got all the ingredients and everything. Would you still use it on your clothes though?
yes you can use it on your clothes, but with clothes you can add an additional cleaner like castile to it and omit the oxyclean.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmmm. I thought homemade "diaper safe" detergent was safe on BG's. I've been using about 1-2 Tbs. of detergent on mine. Is this not OK? What should I be using? Does 7th Generation work?
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote