Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
MommyMondry's Avatar
MommyMondry
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 118
My Mood:
Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Ok, so I haven't had any major problems in 7 months of cloth diapering. I decided to use a homemade detergent that many people had recommended in past posts because it is low sudsing and I haven't found a detergent that I don't have to rinse out 8 times. It is 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 cup oxyclean free. I used about 1/4 cup or less in a large load. So, after about 6 times of using this, my bum genius pocket diapers now repel all pee. I finally put him in disposables because I got sick of changing clothes and bed sheets 5 plus times a day. I have tried so many things so far to strip my diapers. I have tried hot boiling water, squirt of dawn, calgon (all in separate loads of course) and still have leaky diapers! I'm about to do bleach right now. Crossing my fingers. I'm just posting this to stop other people from using this homemade detergent on Bum Genius / pocket diapers to save them from the headache!

Advertisement

__________________
Happily married and just had my first baby boy born on October 25th, 2008. Now were a happy little family of 3
MommyMondry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Munchkin's Avatar
Munchkin
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 99
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMondry View Post
Ok, so I haven't had any major problems in 7 months of cloth diapering. I decided to use a homemade detergent that many people had recommended in past posts because it is low sudsing and I haven't found a detergent that I don't have to rinse out 8 times. It is 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 cup oxyclean free. I used about 1/4 cup or less in a large load. So, after about 6 times of using this, my bum genius pocket diapers now repel all pee. I finally put him in disposables because I got sick of changing clothes and bed sheets 5 plus times a day. I have tried so many things so far to strip my diapers. I have tried hot boiling water, squirt of dawn, calgon (all in separate loads of course) and still have leaky diapers! I'm about to do bleach right now. Crossing my fingers. I'm just posting this to stop other people from using this homemade detergent on Bum Genius / pocket diapers to save them from the headache!
UGH! I feel for you mama. I don't have any solution for you, other than perhaps try a very hot wash with a quirt of Dawn AND bleach, and rinse until there's no more bubbles/residue. Hope it works out for you .
__________________
Shannon, wife to best friend Craig, and mummy to Sophia 9/18/07 , Nate 10/24/09 , and due 3/5/13
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
aufrog's Avatar
aufrog
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 7,512
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

I've never had a problem with that detergent causing repelling issues. I really don't see how it can since there are no soaps in it, just laundry boosters. Unless it's not really cleaning your inserts. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

The only problem I get when I use it is bad bad stinkies....and I have a hard time getting them to go away. The 2 times I've tried homemade detergents on my dipes I end up going back to purex. I don't think the MF inserts can get totally clean w/o a detergent and just using boosters.
__________________
mom to 3 little ones
aufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
HeatherDanae's Avatar
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ~Home of the Pittsburgh Penguins~
Posts: 3,365
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Wow. I don't know what happened, but the only thing I can think of to cure your dipes is stripping them. That should take away any buildup. Just wash on hot with a squirt of dawn (only the first wash), extra rinse, then wash on hot again and then rinse rinse rinse until you see no more bubbles when it's filling up with water on your rinse cycle. HTH!
__________________
Heather married to Chris Mama to DS Evan 9 yrs, DS Levi 7 yrs, DD Adella 6 yrs, DD Eliana 4 yrs, DS Abel 3 yrs, and DS Titus Oct 7, 2014!
My 3 babies in heaven Learning to take one day at a time...
HeatherDanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nestled in the Redwood forests of CA
Posts: 3,268
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

That's too much oxiclean for microfibber. You need to rinse like mad to get the oxiclean build up out of the microfibber. I think just elemenating it all together will really help.

Bleach will not help remove the detergent build up and Dawn is only going to add more detergent to the mess. You need to use calgon and the hottest water you can and just keep rinseing till there's no more suds. When i got oxi build up it took me 2 DAYS of rinseing to get it all out.

GL mama
__________________
Jen Our house is LOUD & messy, full of love and we have a blast!
6/98 Alex, 3/00 Ender, 7/04 (our "Beans") Aeryn & Ashe, 6/06 (Bug) Asterix, and 12/08 (Midg) Atreyu


Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
trixie182's Avatar
trixie182
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: the sunny midwest
Posts: 282
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Thanks! I was just about to make some for the first time today. I got all the ingredients and everything. Would you still use it on your clothes though?
trixie182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
GEM Cloth's Avatar
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,631
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufrog View Post
I've never had a problem with that detergent causing repelling issues. I really don't see how it can since there are no soaps in it, just laundry boosters. Unless it's not really cleaning your inserts. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
I had the same thought but I only use cotton diapers. I have seen so much on here about BGs repelling though. Hope you figure it out.
__________________
Michelle, mom to DD (7/9/99), DD (11/12/01), and DS (4/17/07); wife to DH (8/31/96)
GEM (Green and Economical by Michelle) Cloth
~*~REUSABLE CLOTH PAD SETS~*~ NOW SHIPPING OUTSIDE U.S.~*~
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
aufrog's Avatar
aufrog
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 7,512
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
That's too much oxiclean for microfibber. You need to rinse like mad to get the oxiclean build up out of the microfibber. I think just elemenating it all together will really help.

Bleach will not help remove the detergent build up and Dawn is only going to add more detergent to the mess. You need to use calgon and the hottest water you can and just keep rinseing till there's no more suds. When i got oxi build up it took me 2 DAYS of rinseing to get it all out.

GL mama
I never realized the oxyclean would cause the buildup. I always use a scoop in every load w/ my regular detergent but never get the stinks like i do when I use this recipe.
__________________
mom to 3 little ones
aufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
aufrog's Avatar
aufrog
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 7,512
My Mood:
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie182 View Post
Thanks! I was just about to make some for the first time today. I got all the ingredients and everything. Would you still use it on your clothes though?
yes you can use it on your clothes, but with clothes you can add an additional cleaner like castile to it and omit the oxyclean.
__________________
mom to 3 little ones
aufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
CamilikinsMama's Avatar
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,205
Re: Do not use homemade detergent on Bum Genius!!!

Hmmm. I thought homemade "diaper safe" detergent was safe on BG's. I've been using about 1-2 Tbs. of detergent on mine. Is this not OK? What should I be using? Does 7th Generation work?
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.