Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
12 month + stuff

People are asking me what to get DD for her birthday (in a month) and I'm not sure what to tell them. What great toys/learning things are there for 12 month + that you ladies would recommend?

Advertisement

c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: 12 month + stuff

I love Leap Frog toys. My ds has learned so much about letters and colors through these toys. And they have great toys for all ages! Go to toysrus.com and type in Leap Frog to see all the cool stuff.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

For ds1's bday, i got him the 'my first leapad' or whatever it is and he didn't care 1 bit about it...and even now at 27 mo, he'll push the buttons to make it talk for about 15 sec...and he's just doing it randomly.

I really like the stuff at www.atoygarden.com

Or blocks...(like the fisher price peek-a-blocks i think?) Ds1 really like Finding Nemo @ that age, lol.

For ds2, i'm probably going to ask ppl to keep it very basic, or get stuff from atoygarden.com ..or $ so i can get it....We don't have a lot of people for parties, so i don't think family would be offended if I just asked for $ to get him toys off that website
Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally would stay away from all the plastic modern toys and ask for classic wooden or natural or waldorf inspired toys This type of stuff http://www.threesisterstoys.com/parenting/gallery.htm anything from playsilks to wooden blocks or cradle to the wooden kitchen or fridge for big spenders here are the 1-3 toy examples on one page but even target has a great natural toy section http://www.peapods.com/ckshop.php?page=1&category=7 http://www.islandtreasuretoys.com/wooden_baby_toys.html then eventually you can get cool things for when she is a bit older like these tree house playsets http://www.islandtreasuretoys.com/na...wood_toys.html
thesetypes of toys allow for the child to learn to play it seems like the newer talking and electronic toys do all the imagination work for the child, they don't learn how to imagine play for themselves as well...
Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
leobaby04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD really loves her puzzles, she has a few Melissa & Doug brand wooden ones and they are great. She also loves shape sorters and Legos. I agree with the PP, the LeapPad doesn't hold her attention for long. She also has a few push toys (lawnmower, train) that she enjoys a lot, and a doll-size stroller that she likes to push her dolls around in. HTH!
leobaby04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

I think it's best to steer clear of low-interaction toys where all you do is push buttons and listen to the noise it makes. DS has lots of these, thanks to Grandma, and he hardly ever uses them. lleyes2:

Some of the best things he got for his 1st birthday were a Little Tykes rocking horse, a big metal dump truck, a kid-sized instrument set that had a drum with drumsticks, maracas, a tambourine and a harmonica in it, and a ride-on push toy thingie.

Of course, those are all kind of boyish toys so I'm not really sure what to recommend for a girl! I think at 1 year babies are just starting to get to that age where they love to imitate grown-ups, so any "kid versions" of common household things might be a great way to go, i.e.: toy vaccuum cleaner, toy kitchen set with little dishes, toy lawn mower, toy barbecue grill, toy shopping cart, you get the idea. Good luck!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are giving Rachel a kitchen I got off Freecycle. I don't want battery toys.
I'm going to check out all those links - thanks ladies!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

www.atoygarden.com is 'natural' toys as well....wooden toys and one thing i thought was really cool was they have knitted and felted food...fruits, veggies, sandwiches...we've had TONS of battery toys and I hate them all...I'm trying to get into the wooden toys and toys that encourage imagination.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #9
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter got so much stuff for her birthday (feb), that we still have stuff put away. She didn't even start playing with some of them until recently. The 2 presents that she did start playing with right away...a Tigger foam chair and a Winnie the Pooh foam couch. She loves them! I would also have to say that the Fisher Price Playhouse with sounds was one of her favorites as well. Books are always fun too.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD got a swing set and a toddler swing that you can just put up on the porch. She loves the toddler swing!

Right now, her favorite things are books or any type of ball or blocks. I really think that she would like a shape sorter, so I need to get her one of those since she doesn't have any. She also likes her push toys.

She hates dolls or anything girly! She likes to play with her cousins trucks and cars!