Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Could there be something wrong with her?

So Kyla is 15 1/2 months old and she is, well, lets just say she is going to be a strong woman who gets what she wants! She has never been easy to put to bed, especially in her own bed! Lately we have been trying to get her to sleep in her bed (we co-sleep for part of the night, or sometimes the whole night, depending on her mood, and sometimes mine ) and she will go to sleep just fine with me on the couch (she nurses to sleep most nights) and then I will hold her until she is good and asleep and then as I am walking up the stairs, she starts waking, so I stop and rock her some more, she seems to fall back asleep, I take her into her room, lie her on her bed, and she screams bloody murder!! It is blood-curdling and almost scary! She doesn't even seem to be awake, just staring into space, then when she "wakes up" she comes into my arms and cries and cries!

This seems to have gotten worse with our recent move. I know that change can really affect babies and as she was starting to sleep better, my mom went home. The thing is, if I can get her to sleep in her bed, for instance last night, she slept until 5am, which is really good for her.

I am really tired and I am worried that something is wrong with her. I mean she is getting teeth, but nothing that would cause this! Can change cause this big of a disruption? Could it be night terrors? This young and for such a short time?

Also, anyone, PLEASE, give me some advice on gentle weaning! I kinda want to push her towards it without it being traumatic or making her resent the new baby for it taking her place!

Thanks in advance ladies....I am at my wits end!!!

Advertisement

riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Could there be something wrong with her?

I have no idea what you can do. I have co-slept with my son since the day he was born & my daughter since the day she was born (yes even with DS as a toddler & DD as a newborn) BUT the 1st thing I thought of was seperation anxiety!!!! This is the hight 12-18months old of it, maybe it isnt the right time to try another change on her?!

Someone else will probably be able to help more
Old 12-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I have no idea what you can do. I have co-slept with my son since the day he was born & my daughter since the day she was born (yes even with DS as a toddler & DD as a newborn) BUT the 1st thing I thought of was seperation anxiety!!!! This is the hight 12-18months old of it, maybe it isnt the right time to try another change on her?!

Someone else will probably be able to help more
How was it co sleeping with both a newborn and toddler? My husband will be deployed overseas when this baby is born so I don't know if I will be able to do it I guess I just don't have the confidence that I can take care of a high maintenance toddler and a newborn and an almost 5 year old who still needs mommy.....
Old 12-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riandkymommy View Post
How was it co sleeping with both a newborn and toddler?
I was wondering the same thing My dd is 3 and she goes to sleep in her bed, but always comes into bed with dh and me during the night. With a new baby coming, I am wondering about both of them being in the bed.... (dd is a wild sleeper!!)

I also wanted to add that my dd is also *very* headstrong, and one of the areas I saw this in a lot when she was that age was sleeping. She never wanted to sleep in her own bed at night!! And yes, little changes always upset her to a very high degree, much more so than my older ds. I think moving would have set her off for a month!!!!
I would give your dd time to sleep with you (if you are trying to wean, then I would stop nursing at night!!!) and not make it a big issue. In a couple of weeks, she will feel more stable and it will be easier for you to work on getting her in her own bed!!!

homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Night nursing is the one thing that she just can't give up! She isn't really nursing lots during the day, it is only night times and nap times and when she is really upset about something...I have gone a whole day with her not nursing, usually when we are out and there are other things to keep her busy, but when it comes to night time, no way will she stop! She will scream for hours! DH has tried, my mom tried and she wouldn't settle for anything but nursing...I am waiting for my milk to change to see if that has an effect!!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if you think the change (move) has something to do with her not sleeping well, i don't think now is a good time to even be thinking about weaning. however, if you think it is the night nursing that is causing the problems, then maybe it is time to move in that direction. LLL publishes a book titled how weaning happens that is pretty good. also, you might find that she will move her nursing to the daylight hours if you cut back on night nursing. i know you said she is resistant to cutting that out. how did you do it? what i mean is, did you jsut not nurse her at all or did you cut the session short? that is what i would recommend for her, nurse her, but for not as long. she will protest at first, but gradually will come to accept it. then you can shorten it even more, until you are nursing as much or as little as you want, and still respecting her needs. BUT like i said, i do not think you should try weaning her if you think she is having trouble adjusting to the move. wait until you are sure she is ready.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good call on not weaning with the move and such...I guess I am just tired. I am not pushing her by any means, I am just hoping she decides on her own. I wouldn't be in as big of a rush if there wasn't a new baby coming and DH wasn't going to be overseas when that baby came! It is a scary thought, especially when he thinks that I am super mom and can handle anything and everything, no matter what. I don't really feel like weaning is right but I don't feel like NOT weaning is right either...I guess I am being a wimp and hoping she decides on her own so I don't have to.

As for not nursing during the day, she just kinda quit doing it. If she is kept busy, she doesn't think about it and when she does nurse, we did the cut back on time thing. She would either be wanting to do something else or I would need to. Just kinda happened.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riandkymommy View Post
How was it co sleeping with both a newborn and toddler? My husband will be deployed overseas when this baby is born so I don't know if I will be able to do it I guess I just don't have the confidence that I can take care of a high maintenance toddler and a newborn and an almost 5 year old who still needs mommy.....
I co slept while DH was deployed. My girls were 21mo and 2mo at the time.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBunniesMoma View Post
I co slept while DH was deployed. My girls were 21mo and 2mo at the time.

How did you have your bed and your kiddies lined up? My DD still rolls alot and has almost fallen off the bed a few times when DH was just in the field and training and stuff...my 4 year old often comes in for a cuddle at nighttime too! Maybe I just need a bigger bed...
Old 12-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
jennylou
Registered Users

Instead of nursing her on the couch, why not start out in her bed? Nurse her to sleep there and then slowly remove yourself from her room?