Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
.::Brandi Nikki::.
Registered Users

Vbac

I had a C-section in Aug. When I was 34weeks cause my plecenta was ripping away.

I was told at my 6week checkup I couldnt do a vbac. but wasnt gave a reason.(I was also told I shouldnt really get pregnant cause I run a risk for stillbirth,preemie m/c & death to myself. Which I dont understand.)

I want a Vbac cause I feel robbed by having to have a c-section.

Was anyone told they couldnt have a VBAC & had one anyways? I am TTC #2 now. I will be high risk but I want more childern.

Advertisement

.::Brandi Nikki::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
hacandsac
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vbac

I was told I couldn't VBAC after I had DD 11yrs ago. I thank most Dr's say it just to cover there a@@. Most malpratice ins. will not cover Dr's who do VBAC (or will charge big $$ to cover them) I just VBA2Ced my new baby girl in Nov.
hacandsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
jennylou
Registered Users

Check out the ICAN mailing list.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you know what type of skin and uterine incision you had? For some preemies, doctors have to do a classical or T incision in the uterus because it is not larger enough yet for a lower transverse incision. This may be the reason your doctor does not want you to VBAC. There are conflicting studies about the safety of VBACing with a classical or T incision. Most doctors will not allow vaginal delivery with a classical or T incision.

If you have a lower transverse incision, I cannot think of any reason you should not be able to have a vaginal birth with your future children.

As an FYI, I see you are TTC so your children will be close in age. Many doctors also like VBACs to deliver 18+ months after the c/s, so the closeness of the pregnancies may cause a problem for some doctors. I have found no literature to back up this requirement, but some doctors are adamant about the timing.

Sorry to be a downer, but I wanted to share what I have learned on my journey to plan the VBAc births of my future children. Please let me know if you have any questions.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
jennylou
Registered Users

Not all Drs will follow the 18 month rule. I vbac-ed at less than 15 months - would have been closer to 14 months if dd hadn't been late. Find a Dr who truly believes that a womans body can birth vaginally. My OB had a vaginal birth, in the hospital we use, a year prior (I hear lots of OBs will schedule a c/s?).
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
LittleBoPeepKnits
Registered Users

hmmm...well, I don't know why they would say you're high risk. Maybe because your dd was a preemie? Or did they say vbacs are dangerous?

I do know that it's safer to wait until 2 years after your c-section to attempt a vbac. I had my vbac 4 years after. Oh, and don't let them induce you with pitocin because you increase your chances of rupture dramatically.

Good luck finding a doctor that will let you attempt one. My doctor is the only one in town that will, so I'm lucky. He did push for another c-section, but I went into labor and delivered 6 hours later so no one had a choice. LOL My dh was very set against a vbac, but it's my body, yk? C-sections aren't as safe as they're made out to be. How does your dh feel about it?

Good luck, I know the inner debate very well. One minute I didn't want to risk it and the next I wanted a vbac because I want like 6 kids and you really can't have more than 3 c-sections. So it was a huge stress for me for 9 months!

btw, please don't feel robbed for having a c-section. It doesn't make you less of a woman. They did what they had to to save the life of your precious baby.
Need some woolies knit for your LO for a reasonable price? Click here !!
LittleBoPeepKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather_c View Post

As an FYI, I see you are TTC so your children will be close in age. Many doctors also like VBACs to deliver 18+ months after the c/s, so the closeness of the pregnancies may cause a problem for some doctors. I have found no literature to back up this requirement, but some doctors are adamant about the timing.
Very very true!!! My 3rd c was just 1 year and 1 day after my 2nd. My dr said "There is no way in h*** I will let you try vbac, so don't even think it" Which I figured since I had just had a c and was afraid I wasn't healed enough. I got huge with ds2 and was terrified I would go into labor and just one contraction would rupture my uterus. The dr told us to wait at least a year before even thinking of another pregnancy, which we have but may go with another c because (I think) I want my tubes tied after the next baby, and dh wants the big v once he knows we have our 4th healthy baby.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
agirlofaith
Registered Users

My Mood:

What makes you high risk? What type of incision did you have? Why was your daughter born so early?

There are a lot of things to find out about your pregnancy and birth and I would start there. You have to know in your heart that your body is capable of having a vbac before any doctor will tell you you *can or not*. If you find out that yes you are capable I would start searching for a dr. or midwife that is willing to be open to your vbac plans.

I have had 2vbacs at a fsbc and they have been such a blessing and were wonderful! This next one will be born at home though!

Good luck- you can do it!
agirlofaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
.::Brandi Nikki::.
Registered Users

I will be Hight risk cause my daughter was born b4 37weeks her plecaneta was ripping away & we almost lost her. And other stuff.

I have a cut that goes between my hips its sideways not up & down.
.::Brandi Nikki::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
jennylou
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::Brandi Nikki::. View Post
I will be Hight risk cause my daughter was born b4 37weeks her plecaneta was ripping away & we almost lost her. And other stuff.

I have a cut that goes between my hips its sideways not up & down.
Yes, but how was the uterus cut? They often do vertical cuts on the outside and horizontal on the inside in preemie cases.