Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
wfhmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ready to stop pumping

Hi Ladies:

I don't BF, but have pumped since Grant was born. That's all he has ever had is BM. I am wanting to stop as Gaven is put aside when I'm in the bathroom every 4 hours or so and now that Grant's awake more, I feel they are both left alone for a while and it breaks my heart I've battled lumps, bumps, engorgement etc. almost the whole time and I just find myself crabby throughout the day and I don't want that for my boys.

So...........Can anybody give me advice on how to stop without a TON or pain or problems?! Anybody gone cold turkey (not a good idea?)

I would appreciate any ideas/remidies to help me dry up.

I am having a hard time with this because I feel like a bad mom quitting, but I feel deep down it's what's best all around at this point.

Thanks Ladies

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
little*sprouts*garden
Banned
seller

Re: Ready to stop pumping

Hi momma-
Sorry, I don't have any advice on how to dry up....but I was just thinking maybe you could pump in the family room while they play (that way you can still be with them and still be able to pump??)??

I am not saying you shouldn't quit if you want to but if you really want to still give him BM then maybe just try pumping around them??
little*sprouts*garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I exclusively pumped for my DS for a year. I seriously never thought I'd make it past the first month but I just took it one day at a time and it got so much easier. I'm only telling you this because I was ready to quit so many times but I'm glad I stuck it out. I just moved the pump with me and pumped in the playroom while he was playing or in the livingroom while watching a movie. In the morning I put him in the excersaucer and pumped while I gave him his breakfast. The secret to this is a hand's free pumping bra. I made one myself by cutting 1 inch slits in an old bra and sticking the horns through there. With your hands free you can also compress your breasts while you pump to help it go faster and also prevent against lumps and engorgement.

If you know you are done then a slow wean is usually the best. Start dropping time from each pumping session a minute at a time and then start spacing each pumping session farther apart. At the very end I took sudefed to help me dry up. Watch out for plugged ducts. I took a Lecithin supplement throughout pumping because I was prone to plugged ducts.

Good luck!

Lauren
tlaquepaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

If you really want to stop, you need to do it slowly so you do not end up with clogged ducts or mastitis. Stop one feeding (usually afternoon, evening, or night) for one week. Then the next week, discontinue another one. Repeat with additional feeding/pumping times each week until you are no longer making enough breastmilk to pump any.

I am sorry to hear you have to quit.

Last edited by Sweetforestcat; 12-19-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Sweetforestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Runningkicksbutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been pumping for my twins now for 11 months and it has not been easy nor fun. Every months that has gone by has amazed me. Pumping takes alot of time from a mom, at first 30 minutes every 3 hours, then 30 minutes every 2 hours. I am now pumping30 minutes and hand expressing 30 minutes to keep up with the supply & demand issue. I am beginning to space out my pumping to every 5-6 hours because I am getting ready to stop. I am going to stay on this schedule until I decide on a date to quit and then I will wear cold cabbage leafs in my bra to dry me out. The nurses at the hospital said this works great and my OB agreed.

Don't feel bad about having to stop. We all have our reasons and we all deal with these things differently. Good Luck.
Runningkicksbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definatly try pumping around them, you dont have to go to the bathroom to pump!

Just my 2 cents, good luck!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, why7 do you need to go to the bathroom??

id follow the cabbage leaves/cut out one a week, if that though if you seriouly want to stop though im still kinda
please know im not trying to look down on you, im just a bit confused!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama-
I exclusively pumped every 2 hours around the clock for Lily's first 11 weeks, then eventually had to stop due to supply and sanity issues (seriously). While breastmilk is VERY VERY important, so is happiness. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why do you have to go elsewhere to pump?

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
wfhmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama-
I exclusively pumped every 2 hours around the clock for Lily's first 11 weeks, then eventually had to stop due to supply and sanity issues (seriously). While breastmilk is VERY VERY important, so is happiness. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Thank you redhotmavis

Yes it's my happiness and my boys that I am wanting the most ! That's why I'm looking to stop!

I was just looking for some advice on how to stop not on why I pump in the bathroom. I'm already feeling guilty !! I know everyone is trying to help, but
I pump in the bathroom because that's where I feel comfortable as my son is almost 5 and I just can't "pump" I have to massage and massage and massage etc. Many times it's very very painful and I don't want him to see that it hurts or how much I am in pain.

Thanks for some of the advice