Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:
Herbal remedies for colds that are safe for babies/toddlers?

My three year old started preschool this year and we've all been getting sick over and over with whatever bug is popular at the time. I expected it, having taught elementary school, I know that first year your immune system is taxed quite a bit.

But my nine month old really suffers, because he can't take medicine, and because he's had broncalitis since the first cold back in January. We have a nebulizer and use it, but he gets so stuffy and runny and coughy, etc. (I have a feeling this one is going to take after his daddy with his asthma...) We also use saline solution and the sucker, as well as a humidifier, but are there any other herbal remedies that would help that are safe for a 9 month old that would help? I just feel so bad for him! It's getting better now that summer is coming and I can keep the windows open for fresh air, but the poor little guy...

Thanks!

Advertisement

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Herbal remedies for colds that are safe for babies/toddlers?

peppermint tea I have used it for all of mine. With DS#3 I just put a peppermint tea bag in his sippy cup with water
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hylands makes and awesome cough syrup and cold tabs that work wonders. You can usually find them at Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage. I think our Walgreen's carries it too
Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchienurse View Post
Hylands makes and awesome cough syrup and cold tabs that work wonders. You can usually find them at Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage. I think our Walgreen's carries it too
I'll have to try that, and the peppermint tea (I love peppermint tea!) We've used pediasure cold medicine and it works well, but I know I'm not supposed to because of the small risk of death (I've done a lot of research and I'm willing to take the risk, especially since he didn't have a reaction, but it still unreasonably scary and only good for when nothing else is working.) It'd be good to try something safer! Thanks!

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take Esberitox if I'm feeling under the weather, and I started giving it to my dd probably around 8 months old or so. It's a chewable tablet, so what I did before she could chew was just grate it up on the fine grate of a cheese grater or lemon zester into a fine powder and wipe the powder in her mouth to dissolve. It works great, I highly recommend it! There is also a product I am in love with that is liquid called Zand Insure. It is designed specifically for children. It works awesome, you just give it to them at first sign of a cold/fever/feeling under the weather and it nips it right in the bud. The only drawback is it tastes kinda bad since it has herbs in it (echinacea, goldenseal, red clover, sage leaf, burdock root, peppermint leaf, parsley leaf, fennel seed, ginger root, elecampane root, chamomile, valerian root, bayberry, blessed thistle, barberry and cayenne fruit.)

I found these products for cheap online at vitacost.com or luckyvitamin.com
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
lovemyryguy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son who was 8m at the time was really stuffy with his cold, at night before bedtime I boiled a pot of water, and then added a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil and put the pot near his crib on the floor. (Don't forget its there in the middle of the night...I've kicked it over before ). Also, I haven't done this but a friend suggested a drop of eucalyptus mixed with non-petroleum jelly ( I would imagine petroleum would work fine too... just a personal choice) and smeared under the LO's nose. That sounds like it would really work, but I'd test it out on myself first to make sure its not too strong!
lovemyryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Umcka. GREAT product. We've used it for years and it is safe for the babies/toddlers, and definitely helps them. Make sure to get the alcohol free kind, though.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyryguy View Post
When my son who was 8m at the time was really stuffy with his cold, at night before bedtime I boiled a pot of water, and then added a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil and put the pot near his crib on the floor. (Don't forget its there in the middle of the night...I've kicked it over before ). Also, I haven't done this but a friend suggested a drop of eucalyptus mixed with non-petroleum jelly ( I would imagine petroleum would work fine too... just a personal choice) and smeared under the LO's nose. That sounds like it would really work, but I'd test it out on myself first to make sure its not too strong!
This sounds similar to one of my own products that's currently in the testing stage. I didn't recommend it for children because I was worried they might rub the balm and then their eyes. Does that happen often with your friend?

WeeEssentials on Etsy
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
lovemyryguy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarie14 View Post
This sounds similar to one of my own products that's currently in the testing stage. I didn't recommend it for children because I was worried they might rub the balm and then their eyes. Does that happen often with your friend?
That's a good question. She didn't mention anything, but her LO is older (2ish). I didn't even think of that!
lovemyryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyryguy View Post
That's a good question. She didn't mention anything, but her LO is older (2ish). I didn't even think of that!
I wouldn't have thought of it either, but someone mentioned it to me. I meant to say I didn't recommend it for young children - I think I said "under 3" because I would trust my three year old to not have a problem with it. I suppose you have to decide on a case by case basis, you know? But the warning on my product covers me a bit.

WeeEssentials on Etsy