Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long? High Fever

So, how long to you let high fevers go before going to the dr? I am usually *really* calm and easygoing about sick stuff, I don't worry easily... but I have a 3 y/o with a runny nose and a high fever. No other symptoms, which I guess is what is bothering me about it.... it's not like I just know it's a virus and we just need to wait it out....
Anyhow, She's run a fever over 103 for 2 days straight and I'm not sure at what point she needs to see the dr.... what guidelines do you use?

P.S. We are keeping it down with meds, but if we don't do the 2 hour motrin/tylenol thing then it doesn't drop below 101ish even with meds.... I try to wait past the alotted time to see how the fever is reacting (I guess more clearly speaking I don't give her meds just b/c it's been 4 hours, I wait and take her temp to see if she needs it.... hoping it is going down) but it keeps shooting back up there.... quickly

Advertisement

homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long? High Fever

My dd had a high fever (over 103) a few weeks ago that we had a hard time keeping down with meds. Our doctor's office said they didn't want to see her until she had it for 3 days which I think is the standard even though it seemed like a long time to me. Although if your dc starts to get lethargic, shortness of breath, etc. he will need to be seen. With that said, amazingly my dd's temp dropped to normal on the third day after being 103.8 just a few hours before.
LAF512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
jrpbrown1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF512 View Post
Our doctor's office said they didn't want to see her until she had it for 3 days which I think is the standard even though it seemed like a long time to me. Although if your dc starts to get lethargic, shortness of breath, etc. he will need to be seen.
This is my experience as well.
jrpbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
momtomaximusandjackson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure she is well hydrated. Max (4 1/2) had a high fever with no other symptoms in October for 5 days. The ped said she would like to hospitalize him after five days if he still had a fever...just to give him an IV to avoid dehydration. But his fever went away on the 5th day...
momtomaximusandjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

I went 5 days for DS2....and felt like crap when it was not *nothing* it was a kidney infection. I guess it was not terrible that he got it, because it led us to discover that he had bilateral kidney reflux - but I wish I'd have taken him in sooner.
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would allow 3 days. I also would stop medicating it and allow the fever to do it's job of helping the body kill the virus. It's possible that the motrin and tylenol are actually extending the length of the fever.

Roseola typically shows as a high fever for 3 days, then the fever breaks and a rash shows up within the next day. You might've heard it called baby measles, but it's not actually related to the measles virus.

Anyways, really high fever in a child under 2 is often roseola.

Unless your dc is showing other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. And like I said, I'd quit medicating the fever... fever's are very beneficial in helping the immune system and body overcome viruses. Trying to suppress the fever counteracts the benefits of it.

I hope your little one is back to normal soon.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

We usually wait three days, unless I suspect an ear infection or strep. Dd had a fever last night and is grumpy but not feverish today. If she has a fever again tonight and the next night then I will bring her in on Fri.

I brought ds in once on the first day of a fever over 104. They didn't find anything, andtold me that something was going around causing 104 degree fevers for a week straight, but we did end up back 2 days later with an ear infection.... I would probably still bring them in right away if the fever was that high.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My son had a fever between 102-103 for 4 days before we took him to the ER. All they did was give him that bublegum flavored medicine. He ended up having a reaction to the medicine and broke out in a rash ALL over his body. So on top of feveres he was in oatmeal baths twice a day. He had the fever for 8 days! As long as you can keepit down with meds I wouldnt go to the doctors office. They usually just make sure the baby/child is still haveing wet diapers/peeing on the potty- accepting liquids and eating. They give motrin or something and send you home. If your child is doing that stuff, I dont see a point in taking them when they arent much of a help. But if there are other signs or it gets worse, not drinking water etc... I would go.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
3sweeties
Registered Users

Yup..3 days. It's sad, though. Popsicles make a little one feel at least special, if not "better", too. Hope your dc gets better.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
I would allow 3 days. I also would stop medicating it and allow the fever to do it's job of helping the body kill the virus. It's possible that the motrin and tylenol are actually extending the length of the fever.

Roseola typically shows as a high fever for 3 days, then the fever breaks and a rash shows up within the next day. You might've heard it called baby measles, but it's not actually related to the measles virus.

Anyways, really high fever in a child under 2 is often roseola.

Unless your dc is showing other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. And like I said, I'd quit medicating the fever... fever's are very beneficial in helping the immune system and body overcome viruses. Trying to suppress the fever counteracts the benefits of it.

I hope your little one is back to normal soon.
I rarely give meds for fevers under 102, but over that I usually do....
homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote